Thailand: An unequal society even when it comes to appalling road carnage, foreign media

webfact

Thailand: An unequal society even when it comes to appalling road carnage, foreign media

fff.jpg
File photo

The New York Times has said that Thailand is one of the most unequal societies in the world. 

And the disparity between the "haves" and the "have nots" is in sharp focus in connection with the annual carnage on the nation's roads. 

In the latest in a series, an article entitled "Thailand's roads are deadly. Especially if you are poor" looks at the mayhem on the kingdom's roads and the consequences. 

It states that Thailand is the second most deadly place on earth to drive in and the worst place on the planet for motorcycle accidents. 

But the rich often walk free from responsibility and the poor are suffering. 

The story was posted online yesterday. 

Hannah Beech, the author of the story, has been the NYT Southeast Asia bureau chief since 2017, based in Bangkok. 

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-20

Strange article this one. While the poor are definitely statistically over-represented in the road deaths - avoidable things such as not wearing helmets, driving at excessive speed and habitual drink driving does not help their cause. For every poor person who gets mowed down by a rich person in a BMW, I bet there are 100 times more who die in an avoidable manner as a result of their own actions (or inactions).

Absolutely concur that the rich are far less likely to face justice or be punished though. 

“It’s hard to convince people to stop for us when they are not used to stopping,” said Maj. Gen. Jirasunt Kaewsaengeak, the deputy commissioner of the Bangkok Metropolitan Police

????????

“The big factor is law enforcement,” Mr. Chayabol said. “We have to make people realize that by violating the law they will face severe consequences.”

????

22 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

“It’s hard to convince people to stop for us when they are not used to stopping,” said Maj. Gen. Jirasunt Kaewsaengeak, the deputy commissioner of the Bangkok Metropolitan Police

????????

“The big factor is law enforcement,” Mr. Chayabol said. “We have to make people realize that by violating the law they will face severe consequences.”

????

Unless you are rich, have the right parents or know the right people

10 hours ago, petermik said:

This report will fall on deaf ears here.....anyone with any power to change things will ignore it....Thai,s know best and outside opinions are never considered  :whistling:

"outside opinions are never considered" to be wrong.

10 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I don't hear too many locals complaining, comes with the indoctrination from birth that they live in the best country on earth!

The Thai Forums, such as Pantip.com are rife with Thai's complaining of such matters. 

I am frequently exposed to Thai's who complain of and discuss such matters, the difference is perhaps that they appear less 'emotionally attached' to their arguments when discussing such issues and instead appear that they care less, perhaps that is true or it may be that when generalizing Thai's have learnt not to become emotionally burdened by issues beyond their control

The indoctrination you mention may well just be a degree of light heartedness which is part of the attraction here for many of us... Thai's don't quite whinge as well as us Westerners who are from countries that would see many protesting up and down the nation under similar circumstances [appalling road death stats].

12 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I don't hear too many locals complaining, comes with the indoctrination from birth that they live in the best country on earth!

really? my thai friends are incredibly frustrated and angry about the state of contemporary thai society; exactly as stated in the article they hate way the rich get away with behaving as they want with little or no retribution and feel powerless in the face of the rampant corruption.

and no thais i know who have lived or travelled abroad think thailand is the best country in the world, they are all too aware of the failings in their motherland.

12 hours ago, SammyT said:

Strange article this one. While the poor are definitely statistically over-represented in the road deaths - avoidable things such as not wearing helmets, driving at excessive speed and habitual drink driving does not help their cause. For every poor person who gets mowed down by a rich person in a BMW, I bet there are 100 times more who die in an avoidable manner as a result of their own actions (or inactions).

Absolutely concur that the rich are far less likely to face justice or be punished though. 

I would probably agree with you that it's a strange article, if I could read it, which I can't as it's behind a paywall. At least for me it is and incognito browsing doesn't work either.

Also true that the rich are far more likely to escape justice, I just happen to believe that is also true of most countries in most circumstances, just more obvious in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, samsensam said:

really? my thai friends are incredibly frustrated and angry about the state of contemporary thai society; exactly as stated in the article they hate way the rich get away with behaving as they want with little or no retribution and feel powerless in the face of the rampant corruption.

and no thais i know who have lived or travelled abroad think thailand is the best country in the world, they are all too aware of the failings in their motherland.

Absolutely. And the fact that there are so few channels to express that anger and frustration without fear of retribution....go figure. I think it comes back to a quote often attributed to Abraham Lincoln:

"You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."

If that was true in Abe's time I would wager it holds up even more in a time when even those who do not travel access social media for their news, often via VPN's.

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Thai Forums, such as Pantip.com are rife with Thai's complaining of such matters. 

I am frequently exposed to Thai's who complain of and discuss such matters, the difference is perhaps that they appear less 'emotionally attached' to their arguments when discussing such issues and instead appear that they care less, perhaps that is true or it may be that when generalizing Thai's have learnt not to become emotionally burdened by issues beyond their control

The indoctrination you mention may well just be a degree of light heartedness which is part of the attraction here for many of us... Thai's don't quite whinge as well as us Westerners who are from countries that would see many protesting up and down the nation under similar circumstances [appalling road death stats].

Thais get the opportunity to whinge at what is called an election. But most have no idea what an election is so they lose the opportunity.

13 minutes ago, legend49 said:

Thais get the opportunity to whinge at what is called an election. But most have no idea what an election is so they lose the opportunity.

I only ever hear them whinge that there's not enough poo dam in their somtam!

A very well written article I reckon, its as if the author has read every Thai-visa comment we have all written and compiled them into one neat article, I couldn't agree more with the way it has been written, but as many of us have stated .... it will fall on deaf ears as far as the Authorities are concerned.

17 hours ago, SammyT said:

Strange article this one.

15 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

I would say the Times nailed it now over to a general to deny it????

4 hours ago, samsensam said:

my thai friends are incredibly frustrated and angry about the state of contemporary thai society; exactly as stated in the article they hate way the rich get away with behaving as they want with little or no retribution and feel powerless in the face of the rampant corruption.

Agree with Sams 2 and 3 here. NYT is right on the button. 

I read the article in this morning's BKP, a long one too. I think it would have been a damning article had it been a tabloid but the BKP seemed to keep just on the polite side. I liked the denials and lack of responsibility by the various government departments. Won't make any difference, of course, the rich will still be above the law and the corrupt will hanker for more ways to remain that way. Sad and a great shame.

1 hour ago, legend49 said:

And you think there are good guys to select (all of them) except maybe FFW is in it for themselves. Do you now see Rambo Isarn a red shirt joining the government. So they can't trust anyone because they all want to be in politics for money. So what is the use  you either get ripped off by one side or the other. 

Also in the Western world the rich get away much, much easier than the poor. Maybe less obvious but they definitely do.

I take it Thai style, can't change it now, live with it as easy as possible.

17 hours ago, petermik said:

This report will fall on deaf ears here.....anyone with any power to change things will ignore it....Thai,s know best and outside opinions are never considered  :whistling:

Yep they cannot read English, so they won't care.....

18 hours ago, webfact said:

It states that Thailand is the second most deadly place on earth to drive in and the worst place on the planet for motorcycle accidents. 

Yet the transport minister seems powerless or ignorant of what to do about it !

5 hours ago, roamer said:

I would probably agree with you that it's a strange article, if I could read it, which I can't as it's behind a paywall. At least for me it is and incognito browsing doesn't work either.

Also true that the rich are far more likely to escape justice, I just happen to believe that is also true of most countries in most circumstances, just more obvious in Thailand.

If you really want to read it, PM me. It is very long but I did copy and paste to send to somebody else. Can send to you.

17 hours ago, PatOngo said:

because THEY do NOT know of any other countries or where the other countries ARE.

Not get taught geography in schools !!!

8 minutes ago, essox essox said:

because THEY do NOT know of any other countries or where the other countries ARE.

Not get taught geography in schools !!!

Of course not, that wouldn't leave time for the main subject, Nationalism!

Archived