Debate simmers over proposed 4am bar closings

webfact

47 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

If you go out at 10 and party til closing that is 4 hours surely you can drink your fill in that length of time.

A lot of respondants seem to miss the point that it is not just about drinking to excess in the allotted time but also being able to enjoy the evening without necessarily being restricted to having to finish by 2am or 12.00 in some places.

As pointed out a lot of clubs in Pattaya stay open illegally beyond that now anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

Most of the people who are still in a bar at 2 are already drunk and the few that stay till 4 will create problems.  Can't see this idea lasting long. Does any other country have such a thing, where bars are open till 4 ?  Doubt it as they have drunk driving laws that are taken notice of, not like in Thailand.

Yes, Germany, but it might be different from state to state. The official closing time is 2 a.m. But upon approval by the government and a monthly fee, the bar may stay open until 6 a.m. You will receive a receipt and the fee is tax deductible.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, baansgr said:

The tourists that want 24/7 drinking flew the coup a long time ago for pastures new that are far cheaper and more welcoming and wont be returning anytime soon

They successfully ran off both the bar stool bangers and a good section of the euro tourists holiday set. Now they see a problem. But this is no quick fix deal. And as delayed gratification doesn’t work in this country, we have a problem.

• Like 1

One point I didn't see in the news this morning is that 4 a.m. is quite close to the time to those who rise early to open morning markets etc. I wonder if there might be some impact here too perhaps a chance of accidents? I don't live near any bars or pubs and I don't frequent these places either (TT) so I have no idea what happens there. What I did read in the BKP was that the minister said it would help the economy so I thought 'there it is again, all about money, not about people'.

• Like 2

I remember in the UK the huge uproar when all day opening was introduced, all doom and gloom was predicted it would lead to the apocalypse, fighting and fornication in the streets!!!!
If anything alcohol related crime dropped.
And before you all start bleating about the situation in the UK now that is caused by other social and political reasons not alcohol.
I think it is a good idea, but the authorities need to step up the levels of punishment dished out to those involved in drunk driving or alcohol related crime.
Just my thoughts ???? ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fxe1200 said:

Yes, Germany, but it might be different from state to state. The official closing time is 2 a.m. But upon approval by the government and a monthly fee, the bar may stay open until 6 a.m. You will receive a receipt and the fee is tax deductible.

Yes and it works well