The week that was in Thailand news: Thailand's pub closing hours: Calling time on the "jukebox casualties!"

rooster59

5 hours ago, GarryP said:

Memories. Memories. Ngam duplee, Blue Fox, the Malaysia Hotel, Thermae next to the Miami Hotel, Cowboy, Nana, and let's not forget the Grace Hotel. Those were the days, or were they?  

Makes me wonder just how many readers on TVF are left that know anything about them. Maybe two dozen?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GarryP said:

Memories. Memories. Ngam duplee, Blue Fox, the Malaysia Hotel, Thermae next to the Miami Hotel, Cowboy, Nana, and let's not forget the Grace Hotel. Those were the days, or were they?  

And who can forget the Niteowl, Bernard Trink who did'nt give a hoot!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GarryP said:

They were the days, probably because are early memories for the old gits.

I'm included in that the too btw, the very first hotel I ever stayed at was the called the Privacy Hotel - opposite the Malaysia, so I remember the Blue Fox too - it was on a corner.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Makes me wonder just how many readers on TVF are left that know anything about them. Maybe two dozen?

Count me in. Can't recall how many times I staggered out of the "old" Thermae at 7 a.m. being blinded by the bright sun and trying to avoiding bumping into local schoolchildren on their way to their fine educational establishments, to whom I must've looked like a sort of Frankenstein's monster due to my swaggering gait and sunken, red-rimmed eyes.

There also was Buckskin Joe Village, a conglomeration of tiny beer bars tucked away right under the expressway flyover where Sukhumvit turns into Ploenchit Road. I always found it a rather sad place where the only yielding topic of conversation seemed to have been talking about the trains that rumbled past directly behind the row of beer bars every ten minutes or so, mercifully drowning out ceaselessly playing renditions of  "Hotel California". But I suppose Buckskin Joe Village was alright for a brief early-evening visit to warm up before you eventually worked your way up Sukhumvit Road.

And if you were truly adventurous (or foolhardy) you'd go to the notorious "local" go-go bar clusters near Klong Toey Port and also along Suthisarn Road. It always seemed like a movie scene when you - a foreigner - walked in: the music stopped and dozens of shady-looking local patrons swiveled around on their bar stools, fixating you for a few seconds before returning to their business. Drinks were incredibly cheap, though.   

• Like 1

The part about the fighting gets me, watching the news last night there was a video of someone getting punched in the face while in his car. Why would anyone roll his window down sit there and let someone punch him in the face? Me I'm leaving or in my younger days the puncher would have been going for a fast run

Thermae was were I saw 9/11 being played out on the news reports on the tv's- nobody taking any notice. I thought it was a film at first then went back to listen at the Hotel. I put a lot of cash into that juke box not for the western music of course. Is the juke box still there?

56 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Thermae was were I saw 9/11 being played out on the news reports on the tv's- nobody taking any notice. I thought it was a film at first then went back to listen at the Hotel. I put a lot of cash into that juke box not for the western music of course. Is the juke box still there?

I have to be careful not to refer to that dreadful set of tragedies as 7/11.....

Rooster

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

I have to be careful not to refer to that dreadful set of tragedies as 7/11.....

Rooster

Yes, it was in my mind for ages after the event, as to what it would have done for 7 Eleven shares if it happened two months earlier.

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

As a regular reader of TWTW, I have seen this basic column several times; yes a few of the names and places have changed, but 'back in the 80's' and 'newspaper reporter at 18' and 'the Thermae' and 'drinking late in to the night' and etc etc etc.

Respectfully, it sounds like two old guys in rocking chairs reminiscing on the porch. Before someone starts shouting at me, I enjoy a good reminisce as much as the next guy, but by the fifth or sixth time, I want to pull out my colon and strangle myself with it.

Perhaps it is time to focus a bit on more current things? At least sometimes? Thai culture in 2019 and beyond? Future challenges for the kingdom? Perhaps some thoughts on the future of the kingdom regionally? Maybe some possible solutions to the mess down south? Current difficulties between the N and NE vs. the 'Kingdom of Bangkok and Surroundings'? What Thailand might look like in 20 years?

I enjoy TWTW because it is usually very well written, and as a general rule I am happy to read anything well written. However, the same basic content, no matter how well-written, eventually goes stale.

Cheers

Agree with your comments , the man writing lives his life for history.

History can help us understand the future , yet we must look forward , young and old.

I just don't get people being so into alcohol.  I mean, why go to the bother of drinking all that swill, when you can get the very same buzz, but without the hangover, or the assault on your liver, or the urge to victimize your loved ones, or to engage in endless, inane circular conversations, and all in a simple little pill?  

I ask you, whatever happened to a nice healthy (aside from choking to death on your own vomit) hit of Qualude or Mandrex?    

Edited by Dolmance
More info.

9 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

As a regular reader of TWTW, I have seen this basic column several times; yes a few of the names and places have changed, but 'back in the 80's' and 'newspaper reporter at 18' and 'the Thermae' and 'drinking late in to the night' and etc etc etc.

Agreed, it's less 'Rooster' and more Old Chook. But let's give credit where it's due: the social and political commentary is there, but wisely tends to be buried under a few paragraphs. The mate in Buriram is a good example of that - and probably as close to the winds of press freedom as ThaiVisa dares to sail. So despite preaching to the choir, let's praise the Lord for small mercies, not least of which is the humor...   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolmance said:

I just don't get people being so into alcohol.  I mean, why go to the bother of drinking all that swill, when you can get the very same buzz, but without the hangover, or the assault on your liver, or the urge to victimize your loved ones, or to engage in endless, inane circular conversations, and all in a simple little pill?  

I ask you, whatever happened to a nice healthy (aside from choking to death on your own vomit) hit of Qualude or Mandrex?    

There is something called being social alcohol has a reputation for creating a social scene. I have known people who do ludes not a real social bunch

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Respectfully, it sounds like two old guys in rocking chairs reminiscing on the porch. Before someone starts shouting at me, I enjoy a good reminisce as much as the next guy, but by the fifth or sixth time, I want to pull out my colon and strangle myself with it.

Perhaps it is time to focus a bit on more current things? At least sometimes? Thai culture in 2019 and beyond? Future challenges for the kingdom? Perhaps some thoughts on the future of the kingdom regionally? Maybe some possible solutions to the mess down south? Current difficulties between the N and NE vs. the 'Kingdom of Bangkok and Surroundings'? What Thailand might look like in 20 years?

I enjoy TWTW because it is usually very well written, and as a general rule I am happy to read anything well written. However, the same basic content, no matter how well-written, eventually goes stale.

Cheers

<deleted> off 

On 8/25/2019 at 1:30 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

Cheers

I seriously never read it after a few times.  It's always the same.  One dork writing about himself with outdated experiences talking about himself in the third person.  And Mrs. Rooster. Super boring every time.  I accidentally clicked it and scrolled down.  I didn't read it, but I would wager that somewhere in this fine piece of literature, he mentions he was out having dinner or shopping or something with his wife.  Yes?

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

Personally I find that I am able to spot quality girls much better these days. Fewer raging hormones? More patient? More knowledgeable? But those were great times.

I always felt that when I didn't want a woman in my life they always arrived. 

I also found stubble and not changing my clothes for a couple of days helped. 

Rooster

Thanks for the memories, it was great to see some names of places from the past.

My first stay in Thailand was at a small hotel near the river and walking distance to the Patpong area. Then after 2 nights, we moved to Nana hotel and explored that part of Bangkok.

The city has so many temples and some interesting museums to visit, great shopping, and

countless resturaunts to eat at. Talking about the past is talking of Bangkok in its glory days.

For those who do not want to read about the past, lets me know that they probably did

many foolish activities that they want to fotget. 

Geezer

On 8/24/2019 at 11:04 AM, GarryP said:

I thought it was the Blue Parrot and the Malaysia hotel in Song Ngam Duplee. Alas The Thermae, referred to as Headquarters in The Killing Smile series novels now closes at midnight. I took a school party to the Croydon Advertiser and I lived on Anjuna Beach in Goa in the 70s and went to Manali for the 'rubbing' season. I do feel as evidenced by comments on TV, that since the days of Trink, expats here are now very mediocre and dull.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 11:01 PM, Jane Dough said:

I always felt that when I didn't want a woman in my life they always arrived. 

I also found stubble and not changing my clothes for a couple of days helped. 

Rooster

Do you like French women? Sorry, it's a joke. I am weak and couldn't resist.