British PM to suspend parliament before Brexit, opposition denounces 'coup'

webfact

12 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

If you took a census now, I really don't think it would be much different.

Most people understand that she has to rubber-stamp whatever is put in front of her.

If she starts showing bias, that will be a sure way for her popularity to wane.

She did show bias by approving the removal of parliamentary democracy. And she did have a choice.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

If she didn't rubber stamp it, she would have been accused of bias from the Brexit supporters, so, no, she didn't really have a choice. She continued with a policy that she has never gone against during her entire reign.

And now she's accused of bias by the majority of MPs. Prorogueing parliament for the purpose of preventing debate on a no deal Brexit was a political act. Not what proroguing is intended for. She should have denied it on the grounds that she cannot get involved in party politics. In proroguing parliament, she clearly did this.

19 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I'd rather you had described it as the English cancer, although I realize that the record of the former Scots in NI is nothing to be proud of. We are working hard to get rid of the same malignancy in Scotland also.

If I’m honest, I write ‘british’, but I’m thinking english. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, citybiker said:

Would that be the same cowardly act that John Major previously carried out when he prorogued parliament?

Only difference here is circumstances, this prologue is slightly longer but still legal.

The EU is doing it's usual default setting however I for one don't think it will collapse however it will continue to face struggles without reform.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

You are correct, they were both cowardly. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Forethat said:

You can read more about United Kingdoms unwritten constitution at the British Library web site:

https://www.bl.uk/magna-carta/articles/britains-unwritten-constitution

Enjoy!

Another happy customer...

Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 10.55.29.png

did you read my post end of 1st paragraph where it says exactly what you posted, both saying exactly the same thing, what's the point you are trying to make.... UK has an unwritten constitution thus not having a codified constitution, in other words no constitution

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, evadgib said:

The only thing I cannot understand is why Boris didn't simply sign a consent order supporting Robin Tilbrooks Miller-esque case if he's serious about no deal. 

You do seem to have a thing about Tilbrook, founder of the English Democrats, a large percentage of who's members are defectors from the BNP. Their main aim is to have an English parliament. They may yet get their wish by default. Being the nonentety he is (his party has around 1000 members), the case you constantly refer to was laughed out of court.

I can see why you're a fan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

If she didn't rubber stamp it, she would have been accused of bias from the Brexit supporters, so, no, she didn't really have a choice. She continued with a policy that she has never gone against during her entire reign.

which is ??????

28 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

You do seem to have a thing about Tilbrook, founder of the English Democrats, a large percentage of who's members are defectors from the BNP. Their main aim is to have an English parliament. They may yet get their wish by default. Being the nonentety he is (his party has around 1000 members), the case you constantly refer to was laughed out of court.

I can see why you're a fan.

And I can see why you prefer insults to answering interesting questions....

The court cases supporting the remain cause receive full media coverage, whereas Tilbrook's case was barely mentioned.

Evadgib raised an interesting point:-

45 minutes ago, evadgib said:

The only thing I cannot understand is why Boris didn't simply sign a consent order supporting Robin Tilbrooks Miller-esque case if he's serious about no deal. 

Personally, I think it is because Boris is looking for May's agreement - with only a few tweaks on the backstop.

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

Can't be bothered to point out how you were trying to insult the poster...

You didn't answer the question raised, but in response to these comments in your above post:-

"Gina Miller had a valid case"/"Tilbrook's case was a completely spurious argument, a joke" - please explain your reasoning as to why one was valid, and the other spurious.

Well if you can't be bothered, neither can I.

Suffice it to say that Gina Miller won her case, and Tilbrook's was thrown out of court. I wouldn't insult the intelligence of TVF readers by going into the turgid details of Tilbrooks case. I'll leave that to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1