TM30: The form getting expats in Thailand into a bureaucratic tangle

webfact

On 8/28/2019 at 7:58 PM, idman said:

The more people bit...ch and moan about this fiasco the more Thai Immigration will continue to dig their heels in and not waver one bit. It's this FACE notion. Put up with the TM 30, stop your whining and unless you are returning from outside the country you don't have to bother with jumping through silly hoops. With huge amount of paperwork Thai Immigration have to deal with on a daily what do really think think your chances of ever being caught are???

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

"...what do really think think your chances of ever being caught are???"

The 4th sentence of the OP states "Since arriving in Thailand in April, she has racked up immigration fines totalling 12,400 baht (£330)."

Apparently you didn't even read to the 4th sentence before making your statement.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Haha 1

Left with a shroud for some..

Seems like xenophobic Thailand just wants to get rid of all foreigners, because they are all 'no good' (until proven innocent), always meddling in everything Thai and showing Thais up for who/what they are. Thailand just wants short-term foreign tourists to come, blow their life savings and then some, on their scams and schemes, and leave with nothing but a loincloth. Made of cheap paper towel, no less.
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 11:48 PM, 4MyEgo said:

From the article: During one immigration visit, she says, and official told her he would send police to visit every day "until you are gone".

Just wondering if the immigration officers comment had anything to do with her colour ?

I took that as a given, although I'd be happy to find out I'm wrong.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 9:18 AM, Just1Voice said:

I have seen some truly asinine things in Thailand in my 10+ years here, but this B.S. tops them all. 

This has effectively killed my 2-10 day bike trips around the country. May as well sell my 300cc bikes and buy a 150 PCX. 

Who is going to know you are away?

Get  a thai to book a room or use that pink I'd card that doesn't have a passport number

Much ado about nothing, everyone is talking about it.

It is the house master that is fined, not the alien.

If in a hotel  and a resident,  use your pink ID card, easy to get and doesn't  have your passport number.

On 8/29/2019 at 8:35 AM, webfact said:

"I've been made to feel as if I'm not welcome here," says Zareeka Gardner, a 25-year-old English teacher from the US.

Why on earth would a black woman expect to be welcome in a Thai school. 

Anyone that knows thai culture and speaks the language knows what the average Thai parent thinks about this, although it is getting better. 25 years ago, blacks found it impossible to work in a school in Bkk and hard to even get an apartment.

There are a few desperate black teachers working in Isarn against all odds.

14 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

It's almost irrelevant. 

Bad Guys Out, Good Guys In, is basically BS.

For the ruling elite they have this notion of superiority where you could be Bill Gates and in their pea minds you are inferior, simply because you are not Thai.

All countries have their own view of nationality, but the Thai elite take it to some weird level of superiority extreme 

This whole TM30 spat is just an extension of that.

They don't care if you are a drug dealer. child pedo, married expat, have Thai children, you are all bundled in the same group.

You are never, with very rare exceptions a permanent resident, but a long term tourist doing an extension, and therefore always vulnerable to the whims  of some ultra nationalist government 

Anyone that fools themself in to thinking otherwise is delusional

How long have you lived here?

You don't understand who the thai elite are.

What is a child pedo?

6 hours ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

Actually, in North Korea, you need PERMISSION from the government to travel from one location in the country to another. INSIDE the country. So, if mr. North Korean wants to visit his mother living 200 km away, first he needs the permission from the government to go and visit her.

These new rules in Thailand are sick. Everyone can see that. But still North Korea beats them. But maybe in 10 years' time you also need permission from the Thai government to travel within the country? I think so. Thailand is finished. Totally. What we all loved about Thailand, was the freedom. Now no freedom, anymore. Prison state ????

Except for wine, cheese, beef, smoke are cheaper in  many prisons, than they are in LOS.

Edited by moontang

On 8/30/2019 at 3:16 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL, it doesn't affect your bike trips at all. It's NOT your responsibility to file TM 30, and if you stay at decent hotels ( ie not 200 baht a night hovels ) they WILL do it.

If you live in your own house/ condo all you have to do is do a TM 30 on return. Hardly the end of the world.

Keep the receipts from the hotels you stayed at in case they didn't do the form and you can prove that you were staying there, so they will be getting the fine.

You dont live in Thailand. Your opinion is irrelevant. The comments you make are worthless also, because they have been countered in previous posts. Try reading the whole thread to make an informed comment. You are just trolling to attract atention to yourself.  Well done.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Much ado about nothing, everyone is talking about it.

It is the house master that is fined, not the alien.

If in a hotel  and a resident,  use your pink ID card, easy to get and doesn't  have your passport number.

What or who is a house master?What is a pink ID card? What is to stop the non elected military xenophobes introducing more laws to restrict your freedom to travel?What is to stop the IO prosecuting Thais who help foreigners. Your suggestions are silly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

You dont live in Thailand. Your opinion is irrelevant. The comments you make are worthless also, because they have been countered in previous posts. Try reading the whole thread to make an informed comment. You are just trolling to attract atention to yourself.  Well done.

What an arrogant way to reply ! :crying:.  Who do you think you are ?! :ohmy:

Happen that I agree with Thaibeachlovers. On a bike trip your only responsibility is to do a TM30 when you come back home. Declaration of your one-night stays in hotels or guesthouse is their responsibility. So doesn't seem such a big problem to me, and certainly not a reason to not do such trips anymore.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

What an arrogant way to reply ! :crying:.  Who do you think you are ?! :ohmy:

Happen that I agree with Thaibeachlovers. On a bike trip your only responsibility is to do a TM30 when you come back home. Declaration of your one-night stays in hotels or guesthouse is their responsibility. So doesn't seem such a big problem to me, and certainly not a reason to not do such trips anymore.

It depends where you overnight. I have a friend i always stop and see for a few days on my travels. He does not want visitors any more. (until the the whole thing is sorted)

Many complain on basic laws of TH, the most so called civilized and tolerent country have used knief to kill in UK and most of the culprits are at large.

Now see below the impotent police asking for witnesses where cameras are everywhere. They caught and had all links to Russians for poisioning a double agent and his daughter. It was a matter of minutes scotland yard (johnny, keep walking) knew everything at that time. Now 50+ dead on streets and they seek help from Russian tourist.

Whata shame

20190902_005652.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Thaifriends said:

Many complain on basic laws of TH, the most so called civilized and tolerent country have used knief to kill in UK and most of the culprits are at large.

Now see below the impotent police asking for witnesses where cameras are everywhere.

Yes. Because that is indeed the right way to do it.

You publish the picture in the media, and someone will eventually recognize the criminal and call the hotline. Meanwhile, you flag him also at the airport, so he cannot go out.

It's only a matter of time.

TM30 would not help them anyway if the criminal was hiding in the forest in a tent. No TM30 there. Or in the basement of a trusted friend. The friend would be breaking the law anyway, by hiding a criminal, not subject to fines but to prison.

You don't need to infringe upon everybody's liberties and make everybody report their location via TM30. That would sound like a dictatorship.

Oops ????

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

How does this effect short time hotels?  Have they ever filed?  Could short time hotels become the only way to avoid a wasted day for some.  What if you want to do a night or two in HH or Pattaya from BKK...might be a shot in the arm to the entertainment industry.

Edited by moontang

10 hours ago, lkv said:

Yes. Because that is indeed the right way to do it.

You publish the picture in the media, and someone will eventually recognize the criminal and call the hotline. Meanwhile, you flag him also at the airport, so he cannot go out.

It's only a matter of time.

TM30 would not help them anyway if the criminal was hiding in the forest in a tent. No TM30 there. Or in the basement of a trusted friend. The friend would be breaking the law anyway, by hiding a criminal, not subject to fines but to prison.

You don't need to infringe upon everybody's liberties and make everybody report their location via TM30. That would sound like a dictatorship.

Oops ????

Agreed with your point that security wise it is of no help. Maybe many John Rambo among us ????

However, it was nothing personal. Every RESIDENT (long stay) foreigner address is registered in UK with local area police same as tm30 which you can also register with your local district or sub district police, no need to go immigration. So its a normal law.

However the point not clarified if person stay in a hotel for a night or two even within the same city then what to do, to stay private residense seems not possible which is funny in a way, just to protect hotel industry.

I have been writting repeatedly that a person must be free to move within the country after having tm30. Maybe can keep a copy all the time like passport if law is clarified and allowed to stay anywhere.

Thank you and have a good day

2 hours ago, Thaifriends said:

RESIDENT (long stay) foreigner address is registered in UK with local area police same as tm30 which you can also register with your local district or sub district police, no need to go immigration. So its a normal law.

Every time he comes and goes?

Edited by lkv

2 hours ago, MaxLee said:

What if you end up in the hospital with a heavy injury fracture and need surgery for several weeks??? Does the hospital have to file TM 30 for their patients???

Immigration law makes no exception so I guess the hospitals must file TM30's. And when you come back from coma and go home make sure your first visit is to immigration to mark your return. Lest you become a threat to national security.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MaxLee said:

What if you end up in the hospital with a heavy injury fracture and need surgery for several weeks??? Does the hospital have to file TM 30 for their patients???

Just had a stent at a private Bangkok hospital 100 meters from my home. Stayed for 2 days.  They assured me they had no idea about TM30's and don't file any special paperwork for foreigners.

Bumrungrat or Bangkok Hospital who specialize in foreigners may do things differently. That's part of the problem,  Thai rules are never clear. 

3 hours ago, rabas said:

Just had a stent at a private Bangkok hospital 100 meters from my home. Stayed for 2 days.  They assured me they had no idea about TM30's and don't file any special paperwork for foreigners.

Bumrungrat or Bangkok Hospital who specialize in foreigners may do things differently. That's part of the problem,  Thai rules are never clear. 

Well if you commit suicide, no law on earth can catch ya....