Just how important is Free Speech?

17 minutes ago, Yinn said:

You are positive guy. Not normal for TV.

Maybe hold back some way. But other way make us better. More peaceful. Thailand people is famous for smile and friendly, because we really try that way. Sabai sabai.

Many farang get angry about small thing that not there business. For what?

It depend on the subject. Also good friend don’t worry so much, we tell each other.

But not person who is older, or not close friend. 

I see a lot of Aussie before. They friendly, but, they like it make each other lose face. They really try to do it each other. Like a hobby. Sometime it funny, but over too much.

I think a lot of farang don’t understand it also. Many you guy go with primitive sex worker, act like she real girlfriend, in the street, restaurant, resort.  We think it look stupid, but we never say to them. Just be smile and friendly. Acting we can not see, but really think they stupid.

They will feel bad, the sex worker will feel bad. For what? I think if Aussie, they will say to them sure.

But I say about that subject on TVF, and many member get angry at me. Because they lose the face.

But they not think it because of that. So farang also not like that way, they just think it different.

farang don’t like lose face also. 

Some way it good, some way is not good. 

Middle way is best.

Weird is that nobody from a Western country would marry a prostitute back home.

It's a business they pay for and so should it be. 

Unfortunately, are many foreigners not very experienced regarding women in general.

And believing a bar girl saying: I love you too much" is like believing in Santa Claus. 

As you said, a sex worker is a sex worker. Crazy to "fall in love with one". 

Maybe many foreigners are only chasing a dream and never wake up?

It's good to have somebody like you on the forum who can read Thai and tell us what people of this country really think about us.

Thank you for being honest, always a pleasure to read your posts. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

how to differentiate between something that is genuine and something that is false.

Which is increasingly  hard in a  world of the internet with so  much "information" available much of it  junk.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

what people of this country really think about us.

"some"  Thais,  not  all think  like this,  but theyll be the minority, it  just shows me the ingrained brainwashing the govt has  instilled.

7 minutes ago, Chazar said:

What limited statistics are there for this? I see just in this  small excerpt  of the page  linked,  but i  could  just smile and say its  all  lovely? and we are talking about Thailand  before other countries get dragged  in.

.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Thailand

Official corruption is rampant in Thailand.[1][2] It ranges from bribery to outright police collusion. The interplay of drugs, prostitution, political paralysis, corruption and collusion, a culture of impunity,[3] international tourism and trade, traditional Buddhist tolerance[4] and tendency to ignore problems has led to an increasingly multifaceted and complex crime epidemic in the country. Juvenile delinquency has also been increasing in recent years.[5][6]

Animal abuse[edit]

Further information: Animal welfare in Thailand

Animal abuse in Thailand is widespread, including elephants tortured for tourism,[21] killing elephants for their tusks,[22] smuggling them from Myanmar,[23] exploiting elephants in cities,[24] and trading in animal parts.[25]

Rape[edit]

In 2013, some 87 women came forward daily to report sexual abuse or to seek counseling as a result of sexual abuse in Thailand, with most offenders known to the victim. Police refused to accept many complaints, giving excuses such as "political unrest". The youngest victim was aged one year and nine months and eldest was 85. The youngest offender was a 10-year-old boy who took part in a gang-rape and the eldest was an 85-year-old man who molested a young girl.[26]

The number of rape cases in Thailand in 2015 has been reported as 3,240, with 2,109 reported in 2016. The Royal Thai Police reported 2,535 cases in 2017.[27]According to the Women and Men Progressive Movement Foundation (WMP), 53% of rape victims are raped by family members or friends. Only 38% percent of rape victims are raped by strangers.[28]

On 27 May 2019, Thai sexual assault laws were toughened. Among other changes, sexual attacks on children younger than 13 will carry a sentence of life in prison, while penalties will double for rapists who record and share media of their crime. The new law also adds penalties for sexual crimes against men and necrophilia.[28]

Why searching for all the negative parts when you could enjoy your life here? All countries have their own problems. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Why searching for all the negative parts when you could enjoy your life here? All countries have their own problems. 

Didnt  take  you  long to drag in other countries.

Why, well its a discussion on free  speech isnt it? Only  want nice things? Start an " only  nice things thread"

Also shows "sabai" isnt working.

Edited by Chazar
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Isaanbiker said:

Maybe he the victim of free speech?

Make him negative and angry himself. Everyday.

He not happy about Thai people. He always argue with me, because I am the thai person. He my follower. Maybe he lonely. 

Better he go live in country with no Thai people. He will get happy.

He say he like free speech, but angry at me for speak what I think.

Just now, Yinn said:

Maybe he the victim of free speech?

Make him negative and angry himself. Everyday.

He not happy about Thai people. He always argue with me, because I am the thai person. He my follower. Maybe he lonely. 

Better he go live in country with no Thai people. He will get happy.

He say he like free speech, but angry at me for speak what I think.

Maybe you dont  like people with opposing  views, instead make even  more  assumptions

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chazar said:

"some"  Thais,  not  all think  like this,  but theyll be the minority, it  just shows me the ingrained brainwashing the govt has  instilled.

You think we listen to the government? 555555555555555

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:
1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But how about politicians who complexly ignore scientific evidence?

When i.e. some people want that kids learn in school that some old guy with a white beard created earth and everything on earth about 6,000 years ago.

It's crazy, and all evidence is against it, but so called authorities are still allowed to publish such BS ideas.

And lots of people still believe that if the authorities say something then it must be true...

"And lots of people still believe that if the authorities say something then it must be true..."

Agree entirely ???? - but not sure what any of this has to do with free speech?

I like the idea of free speech for the truth.

And I don't like the idea of free speech when bad guys deliberately tell lies.

But obviously there is a huge grew area between those extremes.

Should it be free for politicians to lie to get elected and lie further to get what they want when educated smart people know that those politicians are lying?

Should it be free that rich people who own media companies can publish lots of BS to influence people?

I think there should be limitations. But obviously it's difficult to make clear rules and enforce those clear rules.

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chazar said:

who decides  whats  "terrible bad  thing"  example sitting on a Buddha  statue, a lump of concrete made by  people, thats all it  is but Thai  will see  that as "terrible  bad" when reality is its a lump of  concrete and even more reality is  you dont actually  sit  on it as the atoms never  touch each other. So technically and correctly speaking you never  touch it.

Following this logic you could wear gloves and shoot someone and claim it wasn't terrible or bad. Technically you never touched the gun. Furthermore, a variety of physical and chemical actions occurred which propelled a chunk of lead through the air, you didn't do that. At some point common sense should come into play for what is terrible or bad and also for what should be allowed as free speech.

21 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Many you guy go with primitive sex worker, act like she real girlfriend, in the street, restaurant, resort.  We think it look stupid, but we never say to them. Just be smile and friendly.

thank Buddha for that. :clap2:

but seriously, my country landed on the moon fifty years ago, and every engineering failure along the way was brought out into the light so a solution could be found. If modern aircraft were build on saving face, nothing would ever fly.

thank you for your input and i am glad you are part of the forum.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Following this logic you could wear gloves and shoot someone and claim it wasn't terrible or bad. Technically you never touched the gun. Furthermore, a variety of physical and chemical actions occurred which propelled a chunk of lead through the air, you didn't do that. At some point common sense should come into play for what is terrible or bad and also for what should be allowed as free speech.

of  course.

5 minutes ago, Chazar said:

does it work?

The leader of the farang world is Donald Trump. So I don’t think it work. If it work, how you get this guy?

He use free speech to lie. Everyday.

1 minute ago, Yinn said:

He use free speech to lie. Everyday.

And everyday the  opposition can point this  out, lets  hear you  point out the les  majeste rules and see what  happens  when you say its  lies etc.

In fact do you think les  majeste  should be abolished?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

Louis Gathmann came up with the idea first.

German engineer, born and bred. 

Happy  to learn something new everyday, I  just did a  quick search as I knew it wasnt invented in Thailand, reminds me of the "jet engine" debarcle with whittle and the Germans, but does lead me to the point of "Thai education" and so Yinn doesnt  have a  hissy  fit ( go crazy for you Yinn) by "education"  I am not implying Thais are STUPID, Its  also another example of "information"  on the internet as many sites say first done by the Americans in the 1940's in fact information on the other guy is quite scant.

Edited by Chazar
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I like the idea of free speech for the truth.

And I don't like the idea of free speech when bad guys deliberately tell lies.

But obviously there is a huge grew area between those extremes.

Should it be free for politicians to lie to get elected and lie further to get what they want when educated smart people know that those politicians are lying?

Should it be free that rich people who own media companies can publish lots of BS to influence people?

I think there should be limitations. But obviously it's difficult to make clear rules and enforce those clear rules.

"when educated smart people know that those politicians are lying?"

And this is how to make it very clear that you are more than very biased and believe that only your version of "educated smart" should have a say in anything ☹️.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Yinn said:

My country invented how to make it rain.

This will be more important with climate warming. (I know can not make it rain anywhere/anytime)

But yes, if you not invention the plane, we can not invention that one.

Everyone work together. Sabai sabai.

Wow!  Do you honestly believe this, or am I missing a joke?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

"when educated smart people know that those politicians are lying?"

And this is how to make it very clear that you are more than very biased and believe that only your version of "educated smart" should have a say in anything ☹️.

I  guess  the problem worldwide is  if  you cant understand any problem you  cant decide how to solve  it and not everyone is  smart, everyone has a  set  ability to understand only so  much. Take  global warming I  cannot  understand  a lot of  it.

In America, land of the 1st Amendment, what would have happened had mentally weak Trump--handicapped by the overabundance of white matter in his brain which forces him to make associations that don't exist in reality--lied while testifying under oath had he the courage to speak with Mueller? Is it free speech that he'd not be able to lie without consequence? Is that he has told to the American public, to the world, 12,000 lies in 950 days an example of this free speech?

So in America we put constraints & guidances on free speech. Free speech is not a free-for-all speech: yelling fire in theater, etc.

And then there is right speech....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_Eightfold_Path

what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, and from idle chatter...Samaññaphala Sutta states that a part of a monk's virtue is that "he abstains from false speech. He speaks the truth, holds to the truth, is firm, reliable, no deceiver of the world..."

Does this mean that all truth said in free speech is right speech?

"A truth that’s told with bad intent

Beats all the lies you can invent."~~William Blake

• Like 1