Farangs and their future standing in LOS

swissie

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Post of the month laying out the problems that us 'aliens' face and pleading for a united front against the nonsense - and predictably you have a succession of members making infantile comments and slagging off a person who has very real concerns that should bother us all.

So sorry, OP, you are hitting your head against a brick wall. There isn't enough intelligent life among TV members to care or unite about anything. It's a reflection of the type of people that Thailand has long attracted, due to lack of law enforcement and the local couldn't care less attitude. It means they don't have to try too hard to keep up standards. Okay if they want to do that if that is what makes them comfortable, as long as they don't expect to be taken seriously - as with some of the comments above.

Amen to the above.
Well, as this thread matures, as the OP, I would like to say a few "famous last words".
I am not surprised as to how this thread has evolved.
- Too bad, that most Expats prefer to accept everything that Immigration throws at them with asiatic Fatalism. I remain firm: A concerted diplomatic effort would take this TM30 nonsense off the table in no time at all. (The mere suggestion, that a "modest" Import-Tax on Thai-Exports, would have to be considered?) This might get the attention of the Thai-Governement.
If this Anti-Farang legislative feeding frenzie remains unopposed, what will be next? An app on your smart phone, signalling to Immigration that you have left your domicile to go to your 7/11 to buy a pack of "Mama-Soup"?
- I wonder what the reaction of Thai-Authorities would be (in combination with the liberal/leftist world community), if Thai-Nationals (the many Thai-Wifes) residing in the EU, would be subjected to a TM30 nonsense?
Clearly: A houwl of outrage would echo around the globe. Ranging from "Violation of Human Rights, blatant Racism, middle-age feudalistic governance, discrimination of a law obiding Minority, etc etc etc.
If the same thing happens in Thailand, what happens? Nothing!

In my view, the times where "This is Thailand" (TiT) would serve as an "absolution" for everything that Immigration comes up with next, should come to an end. Especially as long as Thailand makes great efforts to be part of the "world-community". (Some observers claim, that it's mainly the world ECONOMIC community that they are interested in). The rest is of minor importance, as "Thainess" and the "rest of the world" don't go well together in the first place.
Cheers.
PS: Recent "China Travellers". Did you have to file TM30-like paperwork when travelling in China?
For obvious reasons, I could remotely understand it, given "the surroundings".

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, swissie said:

If this Anti-Farang legislative feeding frenzie remains unopposed, what will be next? An app on your smart phone, signalling to Immigration that you have left your domicile to go to your 7/11 to buy a pack of "Mama-Soup"?
- I wonder what the reaction of Thai-Authorities would be (in combination with the liberal/leftist world community), if Thai-Nationals (the many Thai-Wifes) residing in the EU, would be subjected to a TM30 nonsense?
Clearly: A houwl of outrage would echo around the globe. Ranging from "Violation of Human Rights, blatant Racism, middle-age feudalistic governance, discrimination of a law obiding Minority, etc etc etc.
If the same thing happens in Thailand, what happens? Nothing!

I've written this in another thread:

The day might not be far off when someone here takes the government to the court of human rights. The TM30 thing is just the tip of the iceberg. A far more serious problem is the refusal of many Thai embassies and consulates to give foreigners with Thai wives anything other than a single entry O visa, good for 90 days. Extensions are discrminatory, requiring only foreigners, never Thais, to keep hundreds of thousands in the bank.

Now, only HCM and Savannakhet in the entire SE Asia region give multi entry, and now as locations turn to on-line applications only there is no way of applying for a multi entry. Paris and London are the latest to go down that path.

So that means anyone with a Thai wife/family will need to apply for a visa every three months, with the government denying them the right to live in Thailand for more than 90 days without. If that isn't abuse of human rights I don't know what is.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rumak said:

Really you could just post this in most cases (of your posts).    The rest of what you say is often a lot more difficult to read and makes some of us good farangs wonder what you're bitter about.

I really don't see much positivity coming from you.   But the music thread is a good start .

Not worry, I am not bitter. 

Put your favorite song.

22 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The day might not be far off when someone here takes the government to the court of human rights. The TM30 thing is just the tip of the iceberg. A far more serious problem is the refusal of many Thai embassies and consulates to give foreigners with Thai wives anything other than a single entry O visa, good for 90 days. Extensions are discrminatory, requiring only foreigners, never Thais, to keep hundreds of thousands in the bank.

Now, only HCM and Savannakhet in the entire SE Asia region give multi entry, and now as locations turn to on-line applications only there is no way of applying for a multi entry. Paris and London are the latest to go down that path.

So that means anyone with a Thai wife/family will need to apply for a visa every three months, with the government denying them the right to live in Thailand for more than 90 days without. If that isn't abuse of human rights I don't know what is.

Barry, I don't think this will make your day but as long as you and wife life outside of Thailand for most of the time, you will enter as a "Tourist". Regardless if have been married for 237 years and you "own" a 4 mill mansion in Thailand.

If you want to stay longer than 3 months, you may want to get a "marriage-visa", and get a "re-entry-permit" every time you go back home. Must keep the 400K in Thai Bank.

It all really depens how long you stay in Home-Country/Thailand within a 12 month period to evaluate if this makes (financial) sense.

- What you descibe above will once more confirm that marrying a Thai-National brings no advantages to a Farang. But many advantages to the Thai-National, especially if living in "Farangland". But this is nothing new.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, swissie said:

Barry, I don't think this will make your day but as long as you and wife life outside of Thailand for most of the time, you will enter as a "Tourist". Regardless if have been married for 237 years and you "own" a 4 mill mansion in Thailand.

If you want to stay longer than 3 months, you may want to get a "marriage-visa", and get a "re-entry-permit" every time you go back home. Must keep the 400K in Thai Bank.

It all really depens how long you stay in Home-Country/Thailand within a 12 month period to evaluate if this makes (financial) sense.

- What you descibe above will once more confirm that marrying a Thai-National brings no advantages to a Farang. But many advantages to the Thai-National, especially if living in "Farangland". But this is nothing new.

I don't know where you got the idea we live in Farangland. I've lived with my wife in Thailand for 25+ years and get a multi-entry O visa, which it appears are being phased out with the introduction of on-line only visa applications. They are already a rarity in the region. I am not interested in getting extensions, the only excuse for which is to get foreigners, and only foreigners, to deposit a considerable sum of money in Thai banks. And once I am required to get a visa every 90 days it will be time to leave.

Actually, I have in mind setting fire to myself at the immigration headquarters, having first informed international media of my intentions and why. This harassment of totally innocent foreigners who are doing nothing more than caring for a Thai family has to stop.

• Like 1

Thailand is sovereign of his country. They've the right to do what they wanted to do for any immigration rules. Thailand is not part of EU, or any kind of even democratic country.

They have the all rights to put the strictness at the highest level they wanted, no one can complain Thailand.. as any country have the right to put his own rules.

Many foreigners used to live in Thailand like as they want in this country, but now, not anymore, but they should know, they're only a guest and we don't have rights against them.

By the way Thai people cannot even going to Europe/US/ and almost high ranked countries, without a visa. 

So, we cannot blame Thailand wanna put their own rules, if you don't like the rules, you can go either live in another country.

If you've a Thai wife, then bring her to your own country.. if it's too complicate to get your visa.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't know where you got the idea we live in Farangland. I've lived with my wife in Thailand for 25+ years and get a multi-entry O visa, which it appears are being phased out with the introduction of on-line only visa applications. They are already a rarity in the region. I am not interested in getting extensions, the only excuse for which is to get foreigners, and only foreigners, to deposit a considerable sum of money in Thai banks. And once I am required to get a visa every 90 days it will be time to leave.

Actually, I have in mind setting fire to myself at the immigration headquarters, having first informed international media of my intentions and why. This harassment of totally innocent foreigners who are doing nothing more than caring for a Thai family has to stop.

As you are living in Thailand permanently, but not wanting to deposit a large sum in a Thai-Bank there is always the option to engage an "Agent".  Currently agents in Pattaya charge between 20k and 25K annually. They will even do your 90 day reporting for you. But it can increase to 35K quickly if they have to "start you up" from scratch (not having a valid "O-Visa" at least).

A better option compared to burning yourself, me thinks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Not worry, I am not bitter. 

Put your favorite song.

Hi Yinn,
glad to have you on board. As I gather you are a Thai Lady(?). You are welcome here, so are your comments.
I wish there would be more of you, but most ladies in Thailand are mainly interested in improving their well-being with the help of a Farang that has left his brain at the Airport. Using social-media and not "Thai-Visa-Forum".
So again: Welcome!

Keep it up and encourage other Thais to participate in this Forum. Don't worry about some "harsh responses". Most Farangs are "Pussy-Cats". In real-life they woulden't dare to speak to me in the same way they write to me here. (Sometimes).

So, don't get discouraged. Invite other Thais to join the Forum. But not the "Tinder" Crowd, please.
Cheers.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It is abuse of human having no 400KBaht rights

• Confused 2

On 8/30/2019 at 6:45 PM, Yinn said:

If I want go USA for the holiday, must go Bangkok before, pay money, so much document about bank, live where, have the meeting with them and just because I young, female Thai person, maybe they say NO!

Is fair? Or not? 

Yes, it is fair because young Thai females are disproportionately breaking the law. 

High percentage of the young Thai female goto rich countries on the tourist visa or the student visa. Then they do the sex work illegally. Or they work in Thai restaurants illegally. 

Thai in Korea same. Japan same. Western countries same. Malaysia same. Thai have the bad name almost everywhere in the world.

Sad 

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Yinn said:

That will not happen. Sure. Never. 

Funny. 

Happen already. 

You look around your country. 

The Chinese already control brown Thai. 

The Chinese Thai control all. 

Brown Thai servant in their own country. 

I feel so sad for you. 

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Funny. 

Happen already. 

I feel so sad for you. 

Thailand is fortunate to have a big population of ethnic Chinese. If you look at countries in Southeast Asia - the countries with the highest percentage of ethnic Chinese are the most prosperous - 1. Singapore (76%) 2. Malaysia (25%) 3. Thailand (10%).

Look at Thailand's "most hated enemy" next door - the Burmese. Did you know that Myanmar used to be one of the richest country in Southeast Asia after the Second World War? Now they are the among the poorest. They were once ruled by the British, just like Malaysia and Singapore, so how did Myanmar became so poor? A military government took over and did the most stupid thing - forced many Chinese business people to leave by nationalising their businesses and fuelling racial hatred against them.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, swissie said:

- Too bad, that most Expats prefer to accept everything that Immigration throws at them with asiatic Fatalism. I remain firm: A concerted diplomatic effort would take this TM30 nonsense off the table in no time at all. (The mere suggestion, that a "modest" Import-Tax on Thai-Exports, would have to be considered?) This might get the attention of the Thai-Governement.

Are you suggesting that a number of Western governments would start a trade war with Thailand about TM30? You can't be serious...

Most Western countries have nonreciprocal visa arrangements with Thailand - the Western citizens have much more favourable conditions to enter Thailand, than vise versa. If any visa changes are requested by a Western embassy,  the logical Thai answer would be "Give our citizens 30 days visa exempt and we'll look at this".

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Selatan said:

Thailand is fortunate to have a big population of ethnic Chinese. If you look at countries in Southeast Asia - the countries with the highest percentage of ethnic Chinese are the most prosperous - 1. Singapore (76%) 2. Malaysia (25%) 3. Thailand (10%).

Look at Thailand's "most hated enemy" next door - the Burmese. Did you know that Myanmar used to be one of the richest country in Southeast Asia after the Second World War? Now they are the among the poorest. They were once ruled by the British, just like Malaysia and Singapore, so how did Myanmar became so poor? A military government took over and did the most stupid thing - forced many Chinese business people to leave by nationalising their businesses and fuelling racial hatred against them.

Well, the Chinese certainly do well... for themselves. I admire their system of dominance. It's effective. 

Bad luck for the locals they supplant who benefit minimally from the Chinese hoarding wealth. 

What is shameful is that the Thais don't acknowledge this dominance, instead desperately believing the silly idea that Thailand has never been conquered.

Meanwhile, tens of millions of brown ethnic Thais are somewhat to significantly ashamed of their own brown skin and other physical features. 

The Chinese conquered Thailand long ago. If the Thais are happy with the arrangement with their masters, I'm happy for them. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Funny. 

Happen already. 

I feel so sad for you. 

Oh you boring guy.

No knowledge, but think know everything. 

Ask your thai friend (sorry forgot about that you don’t have thai friend). Ask your Thai wife about name “Yinn”. 

I not not going to answer you anymore. You make stupid “joke” about people die in the flood. 

You are so low. You pitiful guy, but I don’t feel pity for you.

goodbye. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Oh you boring guy.

Ask your thai friend (sorry forgot about that you don’t have thai friend). Ask your Thai wife about name “Yinn”. 

I not not going to answer you anymore. You make stupid “joke” about people die in the flood. 

goodbye. 

Sawasdee. Goodbye ka.

26 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Oh you boring guy.

goodbye. 

Yinn is the name of my Ex Chinese-Singaporean gf & she was absolutely stunning so I'm going to say Yinn means "Freakin Hot" ???? 

Why 20 years? That seems self-serving to people life yourself who have been here for that long. 

Why not five years?

I'm fairly sure that if you haven't done any dastardly deeds in five years of living here the chances of you doing one are the same as someone who has lived here for more than twenty.

3 hours ago, gearbox said:

Are you suggesting that a number of Western governments would start a trade war with Thailand about TM30? You can't be serious...

Most Western countries have nonreciprocal visa arrangements with Thailand - the Western citizens have much more favourable conditions to enter Thailand, than vise versa. If any visa changes are requested by a Western embassy,  the logical Thai answer would be "Give our citizens 30 days visa exempt and we'll look at this".

As long as I have been associated with Thailand (over 30 years) the ease of coming here and staying here has always been MUCH easier than for a Thai wishing to visit or stay long time in a first world Western country.  Not even close.   The only exception is when a Thai marries a foreigner ( but getting her admitted as a spouse can cost more than 400K baht in some countries.).  Yes, once she/ or he in the odd case. has gained admittance to England, US, Aus, etc than they do get many more advantages and rights. But initially it is certainly not as easy as a Farang coming here, especially ten, twenty, or thirty years ago,  getting Visa after visa,  and staying for a long time.  Almost impossible for a Thai or most third world nationals to do that in the Western countries. 

Posts like these from Gearbox or Danielsiam pointing out the disparities between ease of access/long stay possibilities between western countries and Thailand are not going to be popular amongst the Farangs posting here and having issues.   A poll on TV , if i remember right,  showed most expats here are not having problems staying on.  Yes, easiest way is with 400k or 800k in a bank.  This is Thailand's requirement.   Compare that to Australia's  or even Malaysia's or Canada's.  Maybe there are some countries with easier rules.  Certainly most Western counties are tougher.  Rules everywhere suck . In America you are arrested for walking in a neighborhood that you "should not be in".   In Thailand the neighbors bring their cows in your land without permission.  The Farangs are quick to scream "in my country they would be arrested" !

What was the topic again?   oh, tm30    iiik  leowwww 

• Like 1

Bangkok Barry .   We have both been around a longgg time,   I sympathize with your situation.  I went through visa runs.   Then a Marriage visa.   Then a visa for Thai dependent ( after divorce).   When daughter was 20 they said "can no longer do dependent".   OK,  so now extension based on Retirement.  Life everywhere brings change.  The house I owned in the States was 40k dollars.  Now if I went back they would want 150k dollars.   In thirty years here the visa cost went from 500 baht to 1900 baht yearly.

I have had to adjust.    Hope you can find a way .   Best, Rumak

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rumak said:

As long as I have been associated with Thailand (over 30 years) the ease of coming here and staying here has always been MUCH easier than for a Thai wishing to visit or stay long time in a first world Western country.  Not even close.   The only exception is when a Thai marries a foreigner ( but getting her admitted as a spouse can cost more than 400K baht in some countries.).  Yes, once she/ or he in the odd case. has gained admittance to England, US, Aus, etc than they do get many more advantages and rights. But initially it is certainly not as easy as a Farang coming here, especially ten, twenty, or thirty years ago,  getting Visa after visa,  and staying for a long time.  Almost impossible for a Thai or most third world nationals to do that in the Western countries. 

Posts like these from Gearbox or Danielsiam pointing out the disparities between ease of access/long stay possibilities between western countries and Thailand are not going to be popular amongst the Farangs posting here and having issues.   A poll on TV , if i remember right,  showed most expats here are not having problems staying on.  Yes, easiest way is with 400k or 800k in a bank.  This is Thailand's requirement.   Compare that to Australia's  or even Malaysia's or Canada's.  Maybe there are some countries with easier rules.  Certainly most Western counties are tougher.  Rules everywhere suck . In America you are arrested for walking in a neighborhood that you "should not be in".   In Thailand the neighbors bring their cows in your land without permission.  The Farangs are quick to scream "in my country they would be arrested" !

What was the topic again?   oh, tm30    iiik  leowwww 

The only major fault and injustice I see with the Thai visa regime is with the legally married. They should enjoy their marriage and in no way should be asked to renew visas every year or keep money deposits. It doesn't make sense. They should also get much easier access to PR or even citizenship.

I was chatting to MM2H retirees yesterday and the Malaysian scheme is more straightforward but the financial requirements are more stringent. Each country makes its own rules. The good thing is there are options for everyone so far. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gearbox said:

The only major fault and injustice I see with the Thai visa regime is with the legally married. They should enjoy their marriage and in no way should be asked to renew visas every year or keep money deposits. It doesn't make sense. They should also get much easier access to PR or even citizenship.

I was chatting to MM2H retirees yesterday and the Malaysian scheme is more straightforward but the financial requirements are more stringent. Each country makes its own rules. The good thing is there are options for everyone so far. 

I agree that the "good guys" that have been married and leading normal lives are not getting many advantages that a spouse would in a Western country.  My friend in Australia had to spend over 20K dollars to get his wife over there and the process took a long time.   The good news is  (ha ha) that if she divorces him she can get a large portion of his wealth.   Or maybe just call and say that he abused her.  There is a reason why I chose to make my life here instead of that kind of country.  I hate their rules !   

So its money in the bank here and life is good.  My choice ...... till a better one comes up

6 hours ago, Yinn said:

Oh you boring guy.

goodbye. 

Yinn- to hear or listen........seems we should all listen to each other and hear the message.   "Yin Mai?

8 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Well, the Chinese certainly do well... for themselves. I admire their system of dominance. It's effective. 

Bad luck for the locals they supplant who benefit minimally from the Chinese hoarding wealth. 

What is shameful is that the Thais don't acknowledge this dominance, instead desperately believing the silly idea that Thailand has never been conquered.

Meanwhile, tens of millions of brown ethnic Thais are somewhat to significantly ashamed of their own brown skin and other physical features. 

The Chinese conquered Thailand long ago. If the Thais are happy with the arrangement with their masters, I'm happy for them. 

If the Chinese don't have a habit of saving, they would not have been able to start businesses all over Southeast Asia. After all, many had came to Southeast Asia with little or no money. Without businesses, there won't be many jobs available so most people would have to depend on subsistence farming. In the past, Siamese peasants even opted to become slaves in order to avoid hunger. If the Chinese don't hoard wealth, many of their businesses would not be able to weather any crisis and simply collapse and most of their employees would lose their jobs.

I don't think the non-Chinese don't acknowledge the dominance of the Chinese even though I have never specifically asked them.

I do agree that many dark brown-skinned Thais are somewhat ashamed of the colour of their complexion, but you can't blame the Chinese or the Northern Thais or the mixed Thai-farangs for that if they themselves perceived that having a lighter skin colour is prettier.

6 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Yinn is the name of my Ex Chinese-Singaporean gf & she was absolutely stunning so I'm going to say Yinn means "Freakin Hot" ???? 

Yinn is unlikely to be a Chinese name for a female in Singapore. More likely to be Ying (), which can mean petal, flower, excellent, hero or brave.

6 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

On second thought, a Chinese-Singaporean female having a name Yin is possible if she's a Hakka. But that Yin also means Ying in Mandarin or Cantonese.

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Yinn- to hear or listen........seems we should all listen to each other and hear the message.   "Yin Mai?

Not that way.