Buying a Thai Elite visa on financing

50 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

It's Pattaya or Angeles for me. I've spoken to friends and nothing else competes IMO.

You guys speak as if Thailand is in rapid decline. I agree that 5 years ago it was a little better, but not that much.

Okay, if Pattaya is your benchmark, I can see why you didn't see a major decline in the last five years. It's a bit like saying, I've visited Disney World, no idea why people say the USA is in rapid decline.

Overall though, I'd say the decline (in attractiveness for Western expats) is real and has been accelerating.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyBKK said:

immigration made this visa to attract rich people, not the common folks.

They were clearly delusional, because the people buying this were:

-people that had ties in Thailand and were sick and tired of all the technicalities (not that rich), over 50

- some under 50 that have a gf/bf/dog.

- some that saw this as a tax avoidance scheme that was worth the money and also liked and wanted to live in Thailand (since there are plenty of other schemes available to reduce tax to zero).

The people for which the cost of Elite represents 1% of their net worth, as some were saying, live in Singapore or some other places and visit Thailand for fun.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I am a long standing account holder with citicards and they offer me no questions asked a personal loan based off my card for a rate of 7 per cent.  But in general, a personal loan from a bank can have many reasons.  Never know what the bank will approve or not approve.

8 hours ago, Caldera said:

Overall though, I'd say the decline (in attractiveness for Western expats) is real and has been accelerating.

What kind of decline? Can you please elaborate. I am visiting Thailand for 17-years and now spend 6 month in Thailand, 3-month in Spain, and 3-month Hawaii. I have not felt any decline. More shopping plazas, cheaper airlines tickets to more destinations, better infrastructure, more availability of technology. I cant get my head around the decline part. May be more smog and dirty and crowded beaches. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, onera1961 said:

What kind of decline? Can you please elaborate. I am visiting Thailand for 17-years and now spend 6 month in Thailand, 3-month in Spain, and 3-month Hawaii. I have not felt any decline. More shopping plazas, cheaper airlines tickets to more destinations, better infrastructure, more availability of technology. I cant get my head around the decline part. May be more smog and dirty and crowded beaches. 

That's definitely a big part of it. Bangkok has always been polluted, but this year the air was pretty much unbreathable for months. Bangkok has always been crowded, but nowadays there's (almost) no BTS rush hours anymore, it's crowded like mad throughout the day. Same with popular shopping malls, completely overrun. Bangkok certainly is an extreme, but there are similar developments in other popular places I've re-visited. That can be mitigated to some extent by visiting 2nd and 3rd tier tourist destinations instead of the hotspots, and I will admit that I've had a great time doing that, so it isn't all doom and gloom.

Then you have the most odious government and officialdom imaginable, that promised to "return happiness", but has been busy doing pretty much exactly the opposite. To me, many Thai people seem more stressed and less happy nowadays, long gone seem the days of "sanook bliss". Will they or won't they allow certain pubs in certain areas allow to stay open past 2AM again? It's that kind of kindergarten policy making and policing that I find increasingly annoying.

• Thanks 2

A 20-year TE visa is an over-commitment; one cannot look so far ahead. A 5-year TE would appear to be the more sensible route to go.

My take would be to factor the monthly servicing costs of any loan taken out for the visa against one's monthly net income, and see how it shapes up, to answer the affordability question. The repayments can then be viewed as the cost of doing business and which is perhaps a more realistic means of arriving at a satisfactory conclusion regarding the way forward.

On 8/31/2019 at 9:03 AM, Hal65 said:

Any advice you guys have about financing all or a part of one of these is welcome

Isn't taking a loan – i.e. borrowing money – simple down to a question of security, and showing an income that can pay the loan back?

If you pay half of the Elite Visa cash – i.e. 500k baht – and finance the other half, your remaining savings, or their paper value if invested, could be a security deposit; you would still be able to cash dividends and interest.

Any income should be high enough to pay the installments on the loan.

With the low interest rates it's not that bad to borrow money these days – actually, in my Scandinavian home country one can make money every month when taking a loan in the house, due to negative interest rate...????

On 8/31/2019 at 4:10 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, but if he's very quiet about his working, then it shouldn't be any problem!  :dry:

My missus was asked at KL airport by the Malaysian IO what is her occupation in Thailand since she has a Thai elite visa stamped in her passport. She replied that she is just a housewife on allowance and they find that disturbing.... leading to the asking for cash funds for the trip.... seems the elite visa is not known overseas. It is not elite in their eyes. 

• Confused 2

19 hours ago, BestB said:

OP, may be i missed something or misreading. but you can comfortably afford 500 000 baht, so why not just get the 5 year for 500 000 instead of having to borrow? in 5 years you may have more money or visa situation may change or god knows what could happen.

The guy is penny pinching for the best value per year. 

20 years is a long time, anything could happen! Even with an elite visa you only need to be arrested for a violation and you could get kicked out. The authorities could change the laws, even with a elite visa you are only a 'guest' you have no rights. its your money and your choice, but only you can weigh up the risks.

On 8/31/2019 at 5:25 PM, Hal65 said:

That would mean the person has to have a net worth of $3.2 million. You are stricter than I am. I'd say once you have $1 million in net worth a 20 year visa for $32,000 should not be much of a cost consideration.

I'm 33, a US citizen, and have access to tourist and ED visas. I'm a programmer and could also take a local job but that's undesirable for income and lifestyle reasons. Right now ED visas are the best bet.

I've done some analysis of competing options and the only other country that interests me is the Philippines. I prefer Thailand though.

On a per year basis I'm already paying about the same for ED visas as the 20 year Elite would cost. It's unfortunate that you must pay the full balance up front for the Elite; if not for that fact it would be the best option easily. Still, I am seriously considering it.

My point-of-view is that a Thai Elite visa can be worth it, even with a net worth of 0 USD. It very much depends on the country where you are from and you have to take into account that it might be possible to avoid paying tax or just pay a lot less tax compared to your home country. If it's possible to earn the cost of the Thai Elite visa back in a couple of years through the avoided tax, it might very well be worth it.

Especially if one is able to work remotely, perhaps using some offshore business. Of course this isn't officially allowed in Thailand, but there aren't any other good options for a single man company in Thailand imo. 

• Like 2

The 5 year is being brought up again so I guess I'll elaborate on the awkwardness of my age. I have 17 years before the age of 50. This means:

- 1 20 year covers me

- 2 EDs and 3 5 years cover me for a little more than a 50% premium

* And my net worth will make the decision on the later 2 5 year Elites much less eventful compared to now

** The problem is it's quite likely the Elite Visa schemes may not be around in 10+ years. Wealthy nations don't like having these backdoors for numerous reasons (don't need the money, it's a bad look, etc)

To me it is a bigger loss to lose access to Thailand than to ride a 20 year for say 8, effectively paying $4,000 per year instead of a little less than $2,000. One cost is trivial, the other is significant.

Bouncing between PH and Thailand is compelling though. I'm not much of a traveller and would have to pay for storing a large room's worth of stuff, and then paying movers to relocate everything. Doing that twice per year wouldn't be too bad though. It's not my first preference but it's a decent alternative.

26 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

The 5 year is being brought up again so I guess I'll elaborate on the awkwardness of my age. I have 17 years before the age of 50. This means:

- 1 20 year covers me

* And my net worth will make the decision on the later 2 5 year Elites much less eventful compared to now

** The problem is it's quite likely the Elite Visa schemes may not be around in 10+ years. Wealthy nations don't like having these backdoors for numerous reasons (don't need the money, it's a bad look, etc)

To me it is a bigger loss to lose access to Thailand than to ride a 20 year for say 8, effectively paying $4,000 per year instead of a little less than $2,000. One cost is trivial, the other is significant.

Bouncing between PH and Thailand is compelling though. I'm not much of a traveller and would have to pay for storing a large room's worth of stuff, and then paying movers to relocate everything. Doing that twice per year wouldn't be too bad though. It's not my first preference but it's a decent alternative.

Let’s try again. You do NOT have the funds for 20 year old visa and your choice of places are only cheap hooker towns . 

If things stay on the sane tracks.  Thailand, Pattaya would not be a place for cheap hookers in a few years 

43 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

- 1 20 year covers me

I'm the same age as you 33, at some point you'll probably want kids, and then your visa issues are taken care of at only 1900 baht a year... even a non Thai kid you can get a visa based on them going to an international school here

I did the bouncing back and forth between Thailand and Philippines for years and it was great fun but eventually you slow down and want to start a family

• Haha 1

I don't understand why you should be doing that. I had a friend who bough this card and paid that huge sum but after 2 years didn't want to live here any more. So the money is wasted.

If you do have to get the card I advise you to buy for 5 years and see if you like to stay here more than 5 years.

On 8/31/2019 at 5:25 PM, Hal65 said:

It's unfortunate that you must pay the full balance up front for the Elite; if not for that fact it would be the best option easily.

the elite visa was "invented" for the sole purpose of injecting large amounts of money into the country. Having it paid over a 20 years period kinda contradict the idea....

15 hours ago, Hal65 said:

The problem is it's quite likely the Elite Visa schemes may not be around in 10+ years. Wealthy nations don't like having these backdoors for numerous reasons (don't need the money, it's a bad look, etc)

How do you know it is not going to be around 10+ years? If they eliminate elite, the existing visa holders will be grand fathered. Wealthy nations (like EU nations, US, Singapore), still offer residency purchase. US has recently increased the price because there is lot of fraud and scam going there. 

• Like 2

eLITE is just not worth it and THEY can cancel it for some many reasons... one being =  you run out of money  or you have a crazy ex that sue you for ludicrous criminal charges because she can as she is thai and you are an alien with no rights...

you only read the small prints after the consideration from immigration

than you got a long list of DO NOT DO THIS ...

at the end of the line, you have NOTHING in return

10 hours ago, mrfaroukh said:

I don't understand why you should be doing that. I had a friend who bough this card and paid that huge sum but after 2 years didn't want to live here any more. So the money is wasted.

If you do have to get the card I advise you to buy for 5 years and see if you like to stay here more than 5 years.

is it the kind he cannot resell ?

it is in fact a worthless card, if at least you could redeem the time not used..