Opponents of 'no-deal' Brexit defeat PM Johnson, who promises an election

webfact

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

That's a new one on me. ????

I saw the BBC trying to spin it as Parliament vs. the government, but never the people vs. the government.

In reality this is Parliament vs. the people.

Is it ? I’m a people, parliament did just grand ! 

Seems to be be a lot of happy forums around today 

You’re behind the times 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Krugman's thoughts on the EU mirror mine and many other remainers.  No one wanted the Euro and we didn't get it. Same with the Shengen agreement. Same with Thatcher's hard fought for rebate.. Same with taking a percentage of Merkel's 2m refugees. There are many examples of us kicking back against the EU and UK winning the day.

Slaves to the EU oligarchs? Never have been, never will be. All a Brexiteer fantasy/ Cummings lie. We're Brits for crying out loud, we should be staying and fighting to retain our rightful place near the top of the largest trading block in the world. Not running and hiding like a scolded dog, hiding in a corner until we starve and die.

Remainers, the true Brits, are fighting back, unlike the spineless Brexiteer surrender monkeys. Bunch of limp wristed toffs.

"Once more unto the breach my friends

I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'
Come on lads, time to put some cold steel into those spineless, Eton Toff Brexiteers. They're on their knees, let's finish'em off!
We have awoken and the lion roars!

wasn,t "the hard rebate"thatcher got the one blair gave  back? they,ve been laughing at us ever since we joined.i take it you were too young to remember the erm fiasco which led to the depression in the late 80s,well get ready for another one,do you honestly think we could ever  go back into europe after whats happened in the last 3 years,and if we did how long is the eu going to last?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, kingdong said:

wasn,t "the hard rebate"thatcher got the one blair gave  back? they,ve been laughing at us ever since we joined.i take it you were too young to remember the erm fiasco which led to the depression in the late 80s,well get ready for another one,do you honestly think we could ever  go back into europe after whats happened in the last 3 years,and if we did how long is the eu going to last?

QUOTE: they,ve been laughing at us ever since we joined.

Maybe you should google "calimero complex".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Actually, Krugman didn't say that. First off, the Euro came after there were common policies. Krugman has always been critical of the Euro as have most American economists.  It doesn't make sense to have currency union without a fiscal union. That said, Krugman is a strong supporter of the EU and still is. He has been extremely level-headed about all this. He has repeatedly said that that Brexit wouldn't ultimately be a disaster for the UK. It would permanently slow economic growth, Not the same thing as a disaster. But he has pointed out that the way it was being implemented, with very inept. 

https://messaging-custom-newsletters.nytimes.com/template/oakv2?uri=nyt://newsletter/7767159b-1a16-4415-b45f-87c29abcf478&te=1&nl=paul-krugman&emc=edit_pk_20190903?campaign_id=116&instance_id=12088&segment_id=16684&user_id=75c53372f4485d2db73ee54150e9fa69&regi_id=3846620

Can’t disagree however the world currency is the dollar - anything encroaching on that will face stiff resistance from the US! 

Didn’t Saddam Hussein try to convince OPEC to price oil in euros ? that didn’t end too well 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kingdong said:

he was accusing brexiteers of being racist,still thats what remainers are good at, playing the race card when they haven,t got an answer.

How does that make my remark racist?

Once again, report me to the administrators for racism, PLEASE.

(or alternatively, look in the mirror)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Usual complete nonsense from a surrender monkey Brexiteer.

The rebate wasn't given back, we're still benefiting from it today. One of the beefs that our haters (the French) still have against us.

The late 80's had nothing to do with the EU, the City YUPPIEs had inflated a bubble, sanctioned by Thatcher, as she engineered their rise as part of her master plan to destroy British manufacturing and create a service economy. The bubble predictably burst, leaving Thatcher with egg on her face.

Now back in your corner and await your fate.

QUOTE: The rebate wasn't given back, we're still benefiting from it today. One of the beefs that our haters (the French) still have against us.

Why single out the French? All Europeans hold this against you.

Ah! If Europeans could vote on UK in or out......

With remainers like this, who needs brexiteers?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: The rebate wasn't given back, we're still benefiting from it today. One of the beefs that our haters (the French) still have against us.

I'm confused now I thought oldhippy was broadly on our side ?

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

How from my post did you ascertain that I am "guessing, the UK is strong enough to retain our United Kingdom  "???? I am not guessing anything, this is what is being reported.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/03/sturgeon-seek-legal-powers-hold-new-scottish-independence-referendum

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jul/31/sinn-fein-border-poll-ireland-unity-must-follow-no-deal-brexit

Hopefully none of that will happen, but reporting seems to indicate that there is a good chance that it will.

As an American , I have the advantage of being able to look at this from the outside and see the forest rather than the trees, and from my perspective it does not look good, but have the disadvantage of not organically through natural osmosis feeling the thing so I could be wrong and could be missing a crucial factor. 

I happen to like and enjoy my British friends on both sides of this issue and hope I am wrong.

I will tell you this. while listening to Bloomberg Financial news a currencies expert was being interviewed concerning the latest devaluation of sterling. He was asked if at this low price if it was time to buy, his reply "No, it has not hit bottom yet" and I paraphrase  "the price sterling enjoyed was do to valuations reflecting UK's relation to the EU, and UK cohesion, both of these are now an open question "

I sincerely, (really mean it) wish you all the best luck.

Producing 'evidence' from the Guardian is laughable, you are reading other peoples opinions, and that's all they are, 'opinions' heavily biased at that. So guessing or opinions it is all the same, there are better references than the the left wing rag Guardian.

I don't think being an American gives you an advantage of what is going to happen, infact I would have thought quite the opposite, but your opinion will always be welcome and if not always taken on board.

The whole of Brexit has been handled very badly, we have had 3 wasted years, now Boris Johnson has taken over a divided parliament and is doing his best to deliver what was promised to the citizens of country, there are too many MPs who have no belief in their own country anymore or have become so EUfied they are trying to sabotage the vote that was Brexit.

Of course everybody is entitled to an opinion, even our remainer MPs, but they are being disingenuous to say the least when they say they want to stop a no deal Brexit, when infact they want to cancel Brexit all together.

As for where sterling is, this whole charade should have been finalised a long time ago and we would be seeing a rise and not a fall in our currency.

Thanks for your offer of luck, but that is the least of our problems, decent politicians is what we are devoid of at this present time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

Producing 'evidence' from the Guardian is laughable, you are reading other peoples opinions, and that's all they are, 'opinions' heavily biased at that. So guessing or opinions it is all the same, there are better references than the the left wing rag Guardian.

I don't think being an American gives you an advantage of what is going to happen, infact I would have thought quite the opposite, but your opinion will always be welcome and if not always taken on board.

The whole of Brexit has been handled very badly, we have had 3 wasted years, now Boris Johnson has taken over a divided parliament and is doing his best to deliver what was promised to the citizens of country, there are too many MPs who have no belief in their own country anymore or have become so EUfied they are trying to sabotage the vote that was Brexit.

Of course everybody is entitled to an opinion, even our remainer MPs, but they are being disingenuous to say the least when they say they want to stop a no deal Brexit, when infact they want to cancel Brexit all together.

As for where sterling is, this whole charade should have been finalised a long time ago and we would be seeing a rise and not a fall in our currency.

Thanks for your offer of luck, but that is the least of our problems, decent politicians is what we are devoid of at this present time.

I presented these links because they were the first in my search. If you like I can post BBC, Washington Post, Irish Times,Routers,MSN,etc etc  (and the list goes on for pages) A simple Google search will provide you all the links you need.  As Far as the Sterling is concerned, its value will reflect the strength of the UK economy post Brexit, Most experts seem to think that chances are it will be weaker and thus the Sterling will be weaker, But perhaps most experts are wrong. They are not always right, but most of the time they are, That's why people consult experts. 

Anyway , interesting to watch. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kingdong said:

i always thought it was the pack of lies called project fear that prompted all these "left behind"people to vote leave.

Wrong. It was Dominic Cummings' subliminal avertising, via AIQ, that prompted all those mugs to vote leave.

You fell for it, hook, line and sinker.

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I roughly agree with most of what you are saying. But this Brexit is tory driven , hedge fund funded to benefit a small disruptor elite. The working class concerns are being exploited to these ends. Can't you see that. Look up at who got us into this mess and blame them not across at your hapless other neighbour who are just trying to make the best of the hand they have been dealt.  

Twaddle, the first part. The second part, not sure I know what you mean. Who got us into the Brexit mess? The answer is unconscionable, dishonourable MPs. Hapless neighbour? If you mean immigrants - they are not hapless - they are actively in control of their destiny as their restless striving towards cultural and economic appropriation of Britain proves.

33 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Oh don't we know it. Sorry, we're not beaten yet. These colours don't run.

Edited by DannyCarlton

17 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I presented these links because they were the first in my search. If you like I can post BBC, Washington Post, Irish Times,Routers,MSN,etc etc  (and the list goes on for pages) A simple Google search will provide you all the links you need.  As Far as the Sterling is concerned, its value will reflect the strength of the UK economy post Brexit, Most experts seem to think that chances are it will be weaker and thus the Sterling will be weaker, But perhaps most experts are wrong. They are not always right, but most of the time they are, That's why people consult experts. 

Anyway , interesting to watch. 

There is no need to go to all that trouble, again you will only be providing opinion, and that's all they always will be, don't forget we are sailing in uncharted waters, nobody knows what is going to happen. The only fact is that the UK voted to leave the EU, it has upset a lot of people mainly because they might have to queue up at passport control or it has affected their personal portfolio etc etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, evadgib said:
5 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Farage said that a 52/48 win would be unfinished business when he thought remain would win. Changed his mind after Leave won by that margin, calling it a magnificent victory.

Farage wanted a deal before the referendum, now wants no deal.

Boris voted against May's deal at first, then changed his mind and voted for it.

They are allowed to change their minds, but we, the people, are not!

That is the Brexiteer version of democracy!

How many minutes was he mistaken for and how long had he been up when he did it?

Farage made his unfinished business comment in May 2016, his magnificent victory one when the referendum result was announced in June 2016. 

Farage said he wanted a deal before and after the referendum in 2016, changed his mind around June/July this year.

Johnson voted against May's deal the first and second times, voted for it the third.

If you want to know the number of minutes involved in any of those, you do the maths.

But no matter how many minutes it is, no matter whether you are asking about Farage or Johnson, I doubt that person was awake the whole time!

But then, given the reputation both men have for not keeping it in their trousers, perhaps by "how long had he been up" you meant something else entirely!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Congratulations, you have taken the point I was making (Why is it OK for Remainers to change their mind but not OK for Farage?) and flipped it to make exactly the same point, in reverse (Why is it OK for Farage to change his mind but not OK for Remainers).

Well done. Good to see such ingenuity, someone thinking outside the box  ???? 

My point was actually a bit broader than yours; why is it ok for Farage and Johnson to change their minds, but not OK for we, the people; not just Remainers but Leavers as well.

Are you saying you are in favour of us, the people, being given the chance to do so in a final, legally binding referendum?

4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

where did he get 37 from? bank notes Bangkok bank 36.2 it went down from yesterday

Transferwise,  36.67  yesterday , over 37 today .   BK bank No, thanks.

Sad news , i moved a lumper yesterday, the end is nigh etc ,

and then wait for it,  the revolt in the name of democracy and Justice ...

Edited by elliss