Thailand’s high-speed railway will carry first passengers in 2023

webfact

2 hours ago, drbeach said:

Except that for now, Thailand is playing it safe and is not allowing mega Chinese projects to be built in Thailand with just Chinese laborers and having hundreds of thousands of Chinese settlers make their home here. That is why this project has been delayed so long but why it's gone ahead with little opposition in Laos. Also see what's happening in Sihanoukville, Cambodia, and soon Ream national park and Koh Kong. Also, Shwe Koko in Myanmar along the Thai border. Big things happening in all three countries, particularly Cambodia and Myanmar. If Thailand sells itself out to China I don't think the Thai people will be as receptive as citizens of these three countries have been.

yes but since when has the official agenda been about the thai people... wake up and smell the roses not using rose colored glasses... thailand has already capitulated....

Edited by losworld

15 minutes ago, losworld said:

yes but since when has the official agenda been about the thai people... wake up and smell the roses not using rose colored glasses... thailand has already capitulated....

Nah. Like every other country in the world, the government doesn't really care about it's citizens though in the case of Thailand, the government does appear to care more about Thais than foreigners. For now, that is.

6 hours ago, JAG said:

The "High Speed Railway" to Chiang Mai has gone rather quiet...

Mind you, they have been planning a metre gauge branch line off the Northern Line (Bangkok to Chiang Mai) to serve Chiang Rai since the 1930s!

Don't think so much quiet as cant find it for 4 months of the year????

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

It took over 4 years to build a tunnel in Phuket which is only 350 meter's

May be.
But I think that Mr. Big in Beijing will tell the little general, that chinese workers are needed to build the track. This would mean that the construction of that first section may in deed be finished in time by 2023.

And I notice - with a big smile - that this rail project will increase the dependence of Thailand on China significantly.
Wouldn't it be nice to see a chinese "special economic zone" or even a semi-autonomous chinese province named "Thailand" in the future?

Edited by Peterbilt
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, OJAS said:

And that took 13 years to build!

Actually it took a little over 5 years.......1988 - 1994. However, if you count the time from when the first tunnel was started in 1881, it took 113 years to complete......:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It will be completed on time because the Chinese will build it and provide financing to the Thais. I fail to see this as financially viable. Wow what a bad idea - this money should be put to use on internal infrastructure such as BKK mass transit, BKK to Trat, BKK to Phuket and southward.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand will now pay for the total cost of the 179 billion baht first section of the high speed rail line, but China is providing the design and will provide the train and carriages

I would have thought that the overwhelming percentage of the cost of high speed rail would be for the construction of the line, the cost of the rolling stock would only be small in comparison. Can anyone correct me?

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

It will be completed on time because the Chinese will build it and provide financing to the Thais. I fail to see this as financially viable. Wow what a bad idea - this money should be put to use on internal infrastructure such as BKK mass transit, BKK to Trat, BKK to Phuket and southward.

When does any military installation have to be financially viable?

This will be a high speed troop movement system however you dress it up.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

When does any military installation have to be financially viable?

This will be a high speed troop movement system however you dress it up.

Yes, the once impenetrable mountains separating China and South East Asia now given to the Chinese. It won't take much convincing to run an additional rail line to Kampong Som their new warm water port. Of course I'm sure PM working on something to give Lam Chabang away as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drbeach said:

Except that for now, Thailand is playing it safe and is not allowing mega Chinese projects to be built in Thailand with just Chinese laborers and having hundreds of thousands of Chinese settlers make their home here. That is why this project has been delayed so long but why it's gone ahead with little opposition in Laos. Also see what's happening in Sihanoukville, Cambodia, and soon Ream national park and Koh Kong. Also, Shwe Koko in Myanmar along the Thai border. Big things happening in all three countries, particularly Cambodia and Myanmar. If Thailand sells itself out to China I don't think the Thai people will be as receptive as citizens of these three countries have been.

Except 150k are here already which I think is half of all foreign population. I'd estimate another 20% illegally. I live in a heavily Chinese populated area, just a guess. I know Thai govt would never cop to that. Starting to show up in news. Usually fairly serious crimes.

6 hours ago, Derek B said:

Will the high speed track be elevated &/or totally fenced in? 

If not how are they planning to keep the M/Cs & PUs behind the barriers at the crossings? 

Jesus, crossings for a high speed train, I freaking hope not. 

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The project is part of China’s planned network of high speed rail links across south east Asia that will eventually connect Kunming in south western China with Singapore

And take over complete control.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

China rules everything and the  "General" is selling Thailand step by step to China. How much debt Thailand has now outstanding to China. Nobody knows but I assume it's also bigger then the household debt of all Thai. So what I see Thailand will be broke soon or am I just kidding 555.

Right on. The proverbial camel, in this case China has stuck its nose under the Thai tent. Beware the Bully of Asia will swallow you up if you’re not careful.

On 9/5/2019 at 12:33 AM, DJ54 said:

China has very good high speed trains. Modern and kept clean. 

Tickets are not expensive and if you wish there’s first class.

4727E59B-FB0F-4CB7-A26E-8FEFF472BFA6.jpeg

091B5185-09A4-4784-832D-61A0E0A0898C.jpeg

Quite. I was in Guangzhou a few weeks back, the railway station is run like an airport with boarding gates for the HS trains. We took the train from Guangzhou to Yangshuo, about 250Km in just over 2 hours. There are different class of trains, we were on D class and the G class is a bit faster.

About half way we came into the mountain region and from there it was a series of tunnels and bridges, very impressive. Where it is not a tunnel or bridge the track has a military style fence on each side.

If the Chinese have a free hand on design and infrastructure there shouldn't be a problem, they certainly have the experience, around 30K Kms and growing.

Still  nowhere near an accurate date. New, land formation, drainage , viaducts , bridges, stations, 2 x 252 track roughly 500 km of track. 10 crossings at ever station (Passing loops and sidings) emergency x overs. signalling,  power , electrification, train testing commission. 

Going by a similar size project I worked on 7 year 2026

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 10:27 AM, justin case said:

is/was there even a need for such a thing ?

normal speed SAFE trains were not an option ?

If you never start something you deprive future generations, it is a long way from Chiang Rai to the Malaysian border, and even further on to Singapore.

The same questions are being asked in the UK, the short sighted cannot see the need to travel from Inverness/Aberdeen into Europe and beyond.

People think that the airline industry can expand with the population, climate change may take a different view.

If they hurry up they might get their fast train before the US! Europe, japan have fast trains for

nearly 50 years, but also had drinking water from the tap long before they had their fast trains!

What are the priorities? 

• Like 1