Police. Immigration. Press. Why do you let them into your home?

4675636b596f75

43 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, I am. In Thailand everybody by tradition spill their guts as soon as they see the police. Therefore the way of thinking here is that you are hiing something if you are not willing to show it. 

The logic in Thai and not western. That´s where you are going fatally wrong.

not so much logic as a lack of education i think

both the populace in general and police,

sprinkled with corruption,

that can only ever be combated on this grass root level

with education for the people of civil rights,

plus good media coverage, the ultimate corruption queller

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, timendres said:

That said, 10 officers at my door

How about 1 policeman and 10 fully armed soldiers ?  lucky for me he was looking for someone else on the second floor, came with warrant and gps /google map of the offenders location :shock1:

2 hours ago, brokenbone said:

not so much logic as a lack of education i think

both the populace in general and police,

sprinkled with corruption,

that can only ever be combated on this grass root level

with education for the people of civil rights,

plus good media coverage, the ultimate corruption queller

I understand and can clearly see where you are going as well as ehat you mean. ???? 

However, that is our understanding and knowledge of what logic means to us. For the Thai population, with generally lesser level of education, logic is exactly what they know, how they see things and how they do in their society. Their logic is bases on their general level of education. If you should go into the real aspects of a comparision between Thai and Western logic, you would also have to consider which half of the human brain that is the dominant side. That is also a factor that has to be taken into consideration when you look at how people understand and deal with different things. After that you will also have the old things and ways of living as well as traditions passed on for generations and how much of a value that is considered to have for different cultures. 

With that said. Most of us here have chosen to stay and live in Thailand, and therefore we can not demand that they start to behave, think and do things as we are used to from our part of the world. What and how they do it here is something we as guests in their country have to accept if we choose to continue stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wife told me years ago, never poke the devil = never talk  to police

Plus any police would have get past a locked outer gate and a ridge back and an Alsatian and a noisy mixed mut (they will only want to play but visitors dont know or understand that.

So Basically they can stay on roadside of gate

14 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

If anybody official wants see me and come to my home I invite them in, what's your problem. 

What about "unofficial"?

A Thai lady this morning asked me what I miss about back home....I told her..."being invited into people's homes".

When I used to pal around with fellow Farangs here in Thailand and we would arrange to meet up for a coffee and a "chin wag"...it was always assumed it would be at a coffee shop or whatever. I have seldom ever been invited into their homes.. which I would enjoy very much.

Couldn't care less if it was in a room the size of a shoe box or a mansion...just more cosy than a coffee shop whatever it happens to be.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I've had the occasional visit at home from IO and once from the police (because of stepdaughter) but they were very polite, they never attempted to enter the house instead they sat on a wooden table next to the driveway, they didn't even come on to the verrander to sit down. I only knew that they were there because the dog barked, they just sat patiently waiting for someone to come out the door.

Edited by soalbundy

16 hours ago, Matzzon said:

What do you have to hide? If you do not have anything to hide, you can just invite them. If you refuse, they know that something is wrong and you are hiding something. 

How´s that for a cheese sandwich?

That is beside the point. I'm hoping you aren't an American saying that kinda 'giving in' to infringements on not only your privacy but as mentioned in the OP, the law!

Police have never been to my house as they have no reason to do so. Immigration came once after applying for marriage visa - they did not enter the house but were made welcome - I wanted the visa!

Police can sometimes be a bit dangerous - they once raided a nearby house, the wanted people fled via our family restaurant, customers had to dive for cover when police opened fire!

If it is a fake police officer, then he will probably refuse to be refused entry. If you refuse the real police will believe you are hiding something.

I guess you have to read in to the culture and the way of thinking before commenting more nonsense.

If it is  real police officers and they want to come into your house, then why wouldn't they get a warrant first?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, hobz said:

Letting cops in is dangerous, they have a tendency do "find" stuff that they planted 5 seconds ago.

Ok? Wow! personal experience I assume or have you just fallen for the great group pressure on this forum that makes almost all in Thailand more bad than everything else?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, timendres said:

For me, it would depend a great deal on the context. But a random police officer appearing at my door would have to have a warrant. Otherwise, I will happily meet him at his office. I would not open my door. Would do the same thing in the US, by the way.

I used to love dealing with <deleted> like that. If the lone po po is at your door it is for something very simple. Give you a message, someone found your wallet and it is at the station please bring ID to claim it, etc. However if something more sinister has occurred then you may want to reconsider you stance. Consensual encounter is just that. If it were more there would be far more than one po po and yes they would already be armed with a warrant!  

54 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

yes - trust the government, trust the police, they are all your friends and are there to help. idiot.

Ok, I am an Idiot. :crazy:
You, on the other hand, is a person that has been having his free will and rational thinking taken away by the forever growing pressure of the anti-Thai group in this forum. People get brainwashed to automatically think the same and act in the same way. Congratulations are in order. You have become a full feathered member of that group. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

What do you have to hide? If you do not have anything to hide, you can just invite them. If you refuse, they know that something is wrong and you are hiding something. 

How´s that for a cheese sandwich?

Nothing to hide but I have rights and dont open the door for anyone whatever they present them self to be unless invited, and absolutely not here where we every second week can read in media about people with fake police id,. etc. 

18 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

I just saw a photo of someone sitting on their bed with a sheet or towel over their head, and two policemen in their dwelling, and it brings up a question:  a2.jpg.7eb2f4166425285ecb99050cd346387b.

• Why do you let the police into your dwelling unless they have a warrant?
  • Why do you allow press or a photographer to enter your dwelling?

The police cannot just search your home without a warrant, not even in Thailand.

You don't have to speak with them.

You can meet with them on your own terms and certainly not in your dwelling.

You can refuse to allow press into your home. 

Do people not know this?

Undercover cop, bar fined the girl, took her short time room. 

The undercover cop opens the door and lets the BIB in.

• Thanks 2