Brave vs. Chrome: Which Browser is Better?

ravip

I hadn't heard of Brave till I saw this discussion, installed it, within a minute it had blocked one of my regular web pages - uninstall and forget.

However: I am having constant problems with Firefox (I have it set up to my liking and it's what I'm used to...) crashing with no rhyme or reason. Anyone else have the same trouble, or any (useful) advice?

1 minute ago, isaanistical said:

I hadn't heard of Brave till I saw this discussion, installed it, within a minute it had blocked one of my regular web pages - uninstall and forget.

However: I am having constant problems with Firefox (I have it set up to my liking and it's what I'm used to...) crashing with no rhyme or reason. Anyone else have the same trouble, or any (useful) advice?

If you are talking about Firefox for Android - I had endless crashes with the normal version and the beta. After more than a year I gave up. I need a good night mode - completely black background. Firefox had addons for this but with all the crashes... I use Kiwi Browser now. Blocks ads if you want and has a great night mode. It is based on Chrome. Still some shortcomings but I am happy with it. Firefox couldn't be used on my tablet. 

4 minutes ago, Beggar said:

If you are talking about Firefox for Android - I had endless crashes with the normal version and the beta. After more than a year I gave up. I need a good night mode - completely black background. Firefox had addons for this but with all the crashes... I use Kiwi Browser now. Blocks ads if you want and has a great night mode. It is based on Chrome. Still some shortcomings but I am happy with it. Firefox couldn't be used on my tablet. 

Should have noted I am using Firefox on Win 10. I am not a fan, but itcan be set up how I prefer, unlike Opera, which will not let me have blank pages (always with the 'speed dial').

3 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

Should have noted I am using Firefox on Win 10. I am not a fan, but itcan be set up how I prefer, unlike Opera, which will not let me have blank pages (always with the 'speed dial').

Firefox for Windows is okay. Have been using it for years. Don't have crash problems on Win 7 32 & 64. Perhaps an addon problem? I saw some problems with Win 10 and Firefox on the internet.... But Chrome for Windows with all its extensions is not bad too. Check it out. I use it more often than Firefox already. 

52 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I use Brave, but also Firefox, Vivaldi and Edge. I stopped using Opera after the Norwegians sold it to the Chinese, Vivaldi is the chrome based spin off from Opera; what the Noggins did next.

Vivaldi appears to have neither adblocker nor VPN extension, so I can't see that catching on.

I played with Brave lately on some of my mobile devices, and it worked pretty well and fast on the few sites I played around with it on...

But one thing that made me decide against it was, AFAIK, it does not have mobile only bookmark syncing... From what I understood, you'd need to install the PC version and set it up for syncing, in order to get that to work on your mobile devices...  And I was just intending to use it on my mobiles only.

Chrome on mobiles was driving me crazy because the mobile version doesn't accept extensions, so I was getting deluged with popups and banners and all kinds of junk when using Chrome on mobiles (Android phones and tablets).  Brave got rid of most of that on my mobiles...  But in the end, I went with Firefox and my preferred group of Firefox extensions on my mobiles to get the same result, and have built-in mobile to mobile bookmark syncing.

I had some particular web pages I wanted to display properly without all their native junk. Brave got rid of all the junk (probably thru its no scripts policy) but it also prevented part of the functionality I wanted/needed to use on those pages. Firefox with extensions got rid of all the junk, but still gave me full functionality of the web pages.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

32 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

Vivaldi appears to have neither adblocker nor VPN extension, so I can't see that catching on.

It's Chrome based so Chrome extensions work - I use uBlock Origin and the NordVPN extension, free VPNs are lousy. 

I'm using it now and duckduckgo as my search provider. I like it especially for the Thaivisa forum posts. I just had a new hard drive installed last week and decided to give it a go, so I'm a very new user.  It is annoying when I have to put the shields down to function on some websites, but so far so good.  I did install Chrome, too, as a backup to Edge and Brave.  Some websites just work better with Chrome (eg: Lumosity Brain Games).

1 hour ago, phycokiller said:

I have used brave on desktop and mobile fro about a year. havent noticed any problems with it

Installed Brave a few weeks ago as Chrome was slow loading irrespective of clearing out all the rubbish, add-ons etc, and like it as it is quick and I haven't encountered any problems with it so will stick with Brave.

On 9/7/2019 at 12:34 PM, JamJar said:

There are lots of reasons for not using Chrome. Which is why it's a good idea to have alternatives installed, then to use the Browser most suitable for the task in hand.

https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2019/09/04/brave-google-chrome-browser-track-users-hidden-web-pages-gdpr/

Yes, they most cetainly do. However, can you guarantee thta other don´t. Google and Chrome get so much attention because they are so big, while others can do the same without beeing caught.

On 9/7/2019 at 7:50 PM, JamJar said:

Hence complaints from people stating dates being changed when they actually went to book, as the booking used cookies from the other tab.

Why not check the date of the flight before you book/ pay for it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, isaanistical said:

See my previous comment, it auto defaults to global block, you need to individually turn off per site or global off which makes brave useless then.  It does take time to get use to Brave but it is based off of Chrome.

On 9/7/2019 at 10:02 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Who cares which browser is "better"?

I use them all from time to time and mostly all work for everything - with very few exceptions.

It's like arguing what's the best car. They all bring us from A to B...

Some browsers are faster, some are less secure, some give better security options, some have better user friendly interfaces, some are better with pop up, some are more intrusive etc etc.

11 hours ago, JamJar said:

You can ask them.  Perhaps the dates aren't shown on the payment page and are only shown again once you pay.

The dates and times of the flight being booked are ALWAYS shown on the final page before paying and confirming.

• Like 2

Defaulted to Firefox many years ago. Have tried Vivaldi, Chrome, Midori and more recently Brave and PaleMoon without anything sticking. PaleMoon might get more attention if it supported the full FF add-on suite. Anything Micro$  gets removed if possible - never actually 'used' (except when W10 insists on firing it up, which occasionally it does). Default desktop 'puters are Linux Mint 19.2. Even the W10 laptop - which I can't quite bring myself to wipe clean just yet - often gets booted off a mint USB3 drive.

Firefox wins largely because of the plugin suites that prevent some of the more egregious snooping. Currently loaded: HTTPSEverywhere, Multi-Account Containers, Disconnect, JS (java script toggler), DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials, UBlock Origin and Privacy Badger. That sounds like a lot - but I don't notice any overhead particularly. I containerise specifically Facebook and YouTube alongside their 'signup-accounts' of google, and any occasional 'hot' sites that I visit. I also have some of the more widely publicised Firefox tweaks in place, which certainly reduce FF's own footprint.

20 hours ago, petermik said:

Nonsense.......:whistling:

Do you imagine that I am going to argue about a hypothetical?

Perhaps they didn't check the payment page, as they were sure they entered the correct dates in the first place.

It doesn't change the fact that since cookies persisted within each tab, data captured on one tab would persist on the next.

So however it happened, it did happen.