Interpretation of the police order for extension of stay

Prior to my visit last week to Udon Thani Immigration I downloaded a copy of the recent police order dated 21st December 2018, together with the English translation from the Immigration depts. website.

I was wanting to extend my stay based on being married to a Thai utilising the income method which in 2.18 of that police notice states a minimum monthly average of 40,000 baht.  So as I receive a UK state pension every 4 weeks and then consequently remitted to my Thai bank, and also in receipt of two private pensions paid quarterly , again on receipt submitted to my Thai bank, I thought all would be well as all these transfers were included on the bank statement provided.

How wrong could I be.  Udon Immigration refused to accept that my combined pensions were when averaged amounting to well over 40 k per month and they were insistant that they do not accept an average income, only that a minimum 40 k must be shown for every month.  Even when speaking to the Senior IO there and then subsequently a further officer based in Khon Kaen whom they contacted on my behalf, they were adamant that they would not accept "averaged" figures and hence my application for an extension was declined.

So this highlights that either a)  The IO can not grasp what average means, which I doubt to be the case,  b) They are not following the guidelines, or perhaps c) The literal English translation posted by them is incorrect, a point my wife seems to suggest based on her own interpretation of the Thai language police order.

Have others members encountered similar issues either in Udon Thani or elsewhere specifically relating to an extension based on marriage utilising the monthly income method ?

590231773_Amendmenttopoliceorder138-2557(Eng).pdf

Edited by geoffbezoz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

It is certainly not a translation error.

Please note that I did not call it an "error" so feel free to refrain from mis-attributions. Thank you in advance.

I simply said that any confusion may (as in "believe") be a result of translation.

I think ( my opinion) that the use of the word "average" is meant to mean that, in fact, the total amount of any month's multiple transfers has to equal or exceed 40,000. 

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Please note that I did not call it an "error" so feel free to refrain from mis-attributions. Thank you in advance.

I simply said that any confusion may (as in "believe") be a result of translation.

Ah, "mis-attributions" -- so how about 'result of MIS-translation?' Sounds like an error to me (apologies if you're not an original English -- to include colonial version -- speaker).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

e of the word "average" is meant to mean that, in fact, the total amount of any month's multiple transfers has to equal or exceed 40,000. 

That would be a peculiar interpretation of "average."  I can't think of any other use of average, mathematical or colloquial, that means total amount.

• Like 2

You can't go against that. Thais just don't have the Maths to grasp what an average means.

BTW Thais are not the only ones, at Garmin they have developers (of connect.garmin[dotcom]) who think that the average speed of all activities is the average of average speeds. When, of course it should be (total distance/total/time).

Edited by Momofarang
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

That would be a peculiar interpretation of "average."  I can't think of any other use of average, mathematical or colloquial, that means total amount.

They talk in order about average by month …. not by year, so several transfers in a month could / should be a total of 40 000 not counted over a years period …. that is the different interpretation …..not like WE would like to see / calculate it

On 9/10/2019 at 10:51 AM, ubonjoe said:

An average is mentioned in the police orders in clause 2.18. It is the same in the amended order done in December.

image.png.582ea8b58aaeb29aef46c56974a48b70.png

Just another case of a immigration office not following what is actually written in the police orders.

Awaiting someone with enough face to go to Thai Court asking for correct enforcement nationally of one standard.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, david555 said:

They talk in order about average by month …. not by year, so several transfers in a month could / should be a total of 40 000 not counted over a years period …. that is the different interpretation …..not like WE would like to see / calculate it

This would also mean that any irregular transfers (as an extreme -one month with Bt500k) would not be acceptable to an IO, even though the average would be greater than Bt40k/month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, david555 said:

It actually states throughout the year.....an average each month. 

I believe that they want to see something each month, rather than two or three large transfers during the year. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dabhand said:

This would also mean that any irregular transfers (as an extreme -one month with Bt500k) would not be acceptable to an IO, even though the average would be greater than Bt40k/month.

yes... if your nitpicking would be supported , but my guess is that that exceptional 500K would not be refused ….but not counted for the following month, or not counted for a yearly average , they like to see a steady income of NOT LESS 40K A MONTH  

BTW in the 40k income method , that funny proposal of your 500K would be 100K over the requested amount for a married to Thai on bank.....???? which is more simple and secured for mis-interpretation , same as the 800k on bank way ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, david555 said:

Clause 2.18 actually says:

Throughout the year an average income is not less than 40k baht monthly

17 minutes ago, david555 said:

they like to see a steady income of NOT LESS 40K A MONTH  

Can you please show where 'they like to see a steady income' is written in the Police Order

For a retirement extension, a minimum of 65k baht must be deposited in a Thai bank every month, however, with a marriage extension that wording has been changed to 'Throughout the year an average income...........' .If it meant must....every month They would simply have used the same wording for both extensions and just added the work income options for the marriage option.

image.png

Edited by john terry1001
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It actually states throughout the year.....an average each month. 

I believe that want to see something each month, rather than two or three large transfers during the year. 

it states average BY MONTH , they like to see a steady monthly income of at least (in that case ) of 40K.

I know we like to pull the bedsheet's over to our side , especially when we start failing the requirement 's because our failing GBP & € who are both " brexiteared to pieces "???? , but we lye in their bed so their rules ….. something like " taking keeping control ….. sounds  familiar ...isn't …. well the Thais do it all the time  

Edited by david555

2 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

Clause 2.18 actually says:

Throughout the year an average income is not less than 40k baht monthly

Can you please show where 'they like to see a steady income' is written in the Police Order

For a retirement extension, a minimum of 65k baht must be deposited in a Thai bank every month, however, with a marriage extension that wording has been changed to 'Throughout the year an average income...........' .If it meant must....every month They would simply have used the same wording for both extensions and just added the work income options for the marriage option.

image.png

Throughout a year (meaning during that year ) an average income not less than 40 000baht monthly (each month...) 

I know it is same but different approach reading ….. they read it THAT way ….. if we like or not , their rule

7 minutes ago, david555 said:

Throughout a year (meaning during that year ) an average income not less than 40 000baht monthly (each month...) 

I know it is same but different approach reading ….. they read it THAT way ….. if we like or not , their rule

That's just an interpretation you choose to use.

During the year would refer to just one (or more) points in a year.

Throughout the year means covering the whole of the year. 

Throughout the year an average 40K BAHT Monthly means exactly that. If they meant each (and every) month that's what they would have said, but they didn't did they. That wording in the retirement version was changed for the marriage/dependent version. Ask yourself why they made the change.

you are repeatedly changing the wording and meaning to read what you want it to say, not what it actually says.

13 minutes ago, david555 said:

it states average BY MONTH , they like to see a steady monthly income of at least (in that case ) of 40K.

I know we like to pull the bedsheet s over to our side , especially when we start failing the requirement 's because our failing GBP & € who are both " brexiteared to pieces "???? , but we lye in their bed so their rules ….. something like " taking keeping control ….. sounds  familiar ...isn't …. well the Thais do it all the time  

It actually states:-

In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

Per month, not by month.

6 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

That's just an interpretation you choose to use.

During the year would refer to just one (or more) points in a year.

Throughout the year means covering the whole of the year. 

Throughout the year an average 40K BAHT Monthly means exactly that. If they meant each (and every) month that's what they would have said, but they didn't did they. That wording in the retirement version was changed for the marriage/dependent version. Ask yourself why they made the change.

you are repeatedly changing the wording and meaning to read what you want it to say, not what it actually says.

"That's just an interpretation you choose to use"

Not my choice , but I always try to understand an adversary explanation….and that is the way that I.O. read it and his superior …. so what you go to do about it ….. invade Thailand with a mercenary group? … ridiculous to try to force your interpretation on them , how much I understand that it would be more easy for us all to have a wild card to see  their laws in our favor …. 

We just have to live with it  and follow it ….period.

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It actually states:-

In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

Per month, not by month.

O.K. I give up …. you win  I.O. loose …..ext. granted now ? with a hundred wai from I.O. 

Understand my point now ?

15 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Conform in such a way that any ambiguity is irrelevant. Twelve transfers of 40,001 baht, one a month.

let me know the result when telling that to I.O. :tongue:  

I even don't know why some are  trying to convince the I.O.from their point of view ….. is like swimming upstream on a Colorado river 

Edited by david555