Oh Man! Foreign tourist racks up 50K bar tab after ringing the bell 20 times!

webfact

Riiiiiight I am sure he thought the hysterical screaming and treys of drinks were free... and his Thai girlfriend didn't know what the bell meant either. SMH

More like he couldn't handle his drink, played the big man and had buyers regret.

BTW if he rang the bell over 20 times at 2000 a pop the bill will be there or there abouts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

2500 baht per bell ring sounds reasonable

Although many bars will clearly state a fixed amount like 1000 Baht and only for the girls.

Drinks for all incl. customers is not the norm.

But 20 rings, at least 20000 Baht. So 14500 was a good deal.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, firestar said:

BTW if he rang the bell over 20 times at 2000 a pop the bill will be there or there abouts

If so, the bar owner should've understood that the 'ringer' was drunk, or didn't know what he was doing, and should've stopped/explained to him what he was on to. But greed took over. Sad.

Edited by Vacuum

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Nice girlfriend too, he didn't know what ringing the bell meant, and she didn't tell him.

Girlfriend for rent?  Probably well accustomed to the world of bell-ringing, and perhaps assuming her date for the night knew what he was doing. He was, after all, from the Middle East, and they all have oil money there....  :laugh:

24 minutes ago, miamiman123 said:

Right let’s keep those Bars open till 4am???

ha! 

Why not ? Bars should be allowed to be open as long as they want, but no music after 1-2 am.

this is normal In the rest of the world, unless you come from a nanny state <deleted>hole where you are the governments slave and do what you are told..

freedom mister, no one are forced to stay in the city center, in the city center is usually where all the noice is,  if people can’t handle noise, then they should have stayed in a different location, this isn’t rocket science, I prefer quiet environment, that’s why I’m staying in the middle of no where, but I understand tourists want to enjoy their holiday as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hioctane said:

To make money! Pretty much any country with bar girls have it. Off the top of my head, Phillipines and Cambodia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have them in bars in the USA

I was in a bar a few years intending to have one beer but one customer rang the bell soo many times that at one point I had 7 beers in front of me. He was also pushing 1000 baht notes into the girls bikini bottoms. I heard one girl say to the others (in Thai) that he had just given her a seventh 1000 baht note and another girl told her to hide the notes so he couldn’t see how many she had. Every bell ring was one drink to him, 10 drinks in to other customers, 20 drinks to the bargirls + ??? Staff.

Cheap nights drinking for me.

3 hours ago, batata said:

he's from Oman, muslim country..... muslims don't (are not supposed to) drink alcohol and don't frequent bars quite surprised with the post

You need to get out more, plenty of Muslims drink alcohol, a Jordanian pilot I once knew regularly drunk all us expats under the table, he even took me up in his Hunter early one morning right after a messy session and proceeded to roll her and fly upside down trying to get me to throw up, he failed.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The fact that the bar accepted the reduced amount doesnt prove anything , the bar may have accepted cost price or the Police may had strongly suggested that the bar resolves the issue by accepting the amount .

YOUR first sentence doesn't make sense , but if you was asking wheteher it costs 1000 Baht to ring the bell , no it doesnt

in my country, if at a bar, some drunk customer says . "I want a dom perignon, dom perignon please, I would like a dom perignon delivered to my table"

thats not an automated permission to deliver 3 bottles of dom perignon,

because,  chances are the person isnt going to pay, is going to make a fuss, and isnt worht it for the staff to extort 3 bottles out of him

common sense prevails in my country

Whether you ring the bar once, or 20 times at the same ringing, it's good for only 1 round of drinks. Period. Not 20. <deleted>.  Thanks to the police it was more reasonable. But imagine if the bar staff decided to take it out on the farang. His brains would be all over the floor.

12 hours ago, hellohello123 said:

in my country, if at a bar, some drunk customer says . "I want a dom perignon, dom perignon please, I would like a dom perignon delivered to my table"

thats not an automated permission to deliver 3 bottles of dom perignon,

because,  chances are the person isnt going to pay, is going to make a fuss, and isnt worht it for the staff to extort 3 bottles out of him

common sense prevails in my country

But we are not in your Country .

Also , this is a story about a guy buying other people drinks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

So he was right then, overcharged by nearly 40Kbht.

Police made him pay 14,500bht. 

Nice girlfriend too, he didn't know what ringing the bell meant, and she didn't tell him.

And he didn't have enough left for the bar fine :clap2:

• Haha 1

As a newbie to Thailand in the early 90's, when bell ringing in bars was very common, I rang the bell in one of the larger bars (then) in Soi Cowboy.  It was not that busy, but on hearing the bell dozens of people came running in from outside...a big bill and a lesson learned.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The Police should have immediately charged the bar owner with attempted fraud ! or extortion, and send a message to others not to try and fleece tourists, obvious they were not being truthful to allow/agree a reduction/settlement of that size.

Oh I should imagine that the police came to some "informal fiscal arrangement" with the bar owner...

he's from Oman, muslim country..... muslims don't (are not supposed to) drink alcohol and don't frequent bars quite surprised with the post

Go to the hotel bars in Manila. Plenty of Muslims drinking alcohol. Hypocrisy at its finest.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

I thought Muslims were prohibited from visiting bars in Pattaya, out of consideration for their religion.

To see the answer to your question, just watch our Middle Eastern friends get off their flights at BKK, change quickly from their National Dress into shorts and T shirts and go whoring and drinking to their hearts content. Like a great many professed religious people ( maybe even the vast majority), they are very flexible when it comes to interpreting the rules,

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Crusader said:

As a newbie to Thailand in the early 90's, when bell ringing in bars was very common, I rang the bell in one of the larger bars (then) in Soi Cowboy.  It was not that busy, but on hearing the bell dozens of people came running in from outside...a big bill and a lesson learned.

Why did you do that? I have never bought a drink for someone I didn't know, or care a jot about, which describes most people I ever found in bars. 

Maybe he wasn't a Muslim, not everyone in Oman are.  I do agree about the Thai girlfriend though, who would have been on commission from the bar and therefore no doubt egging him on.

As for the final bill, that was negotiated down from the original.  No reason to believe that the original bill wasn't valid, just a practical matter of how much they could get from the punter who would have was, no doubt, claiming poverty!  Of course the bar should have informed the man that the bar bill was growing but hey!