Johnson, likening himself to Incredible Hulk, vows Oct. 31 Brexit

rooster59

2 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Because people knew what Leave would be like in 10 year or so? 

I am sure someone spoke about the bright future where everything is better.

Lots of cake to eat and look at, cherries, unicorns, and they all lives happily ever after.

XopZK3YOqkx7yKc7jrMboxyDTKOl4ErSyQ_QbyNa

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:

I love it when Brexiteers expound blatantly racist views and then claim that Brexit was nothing to do with immigration and racist xenophobia.

Don't worry, Tommy is out of nick now, he can defend you. Oh, I forgot, he tried that when he stood for MEP but lost his deposit. Luckily yours and Tommy's views are only shared by a small minority of Brits.

You mean Stephen surely?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Hardly, the worst nightmare is remaining in the EU whilst Germany sinks into recession, and the Italian banks collapse, and the British public are left having to pay for it like Germany did for Greece: 

This statement comes from someone who is clueless. 

British public to pay for collapsing Italian banks? 

May be British bankers made bad investments. Who knows. Then go and complain to your bankers, not blame EU. And Germany never paid for Greece. 

Do you know that Britain does not belong to Euro area. Therefore, they are not affected by bad Euro loans to defaulting countries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptainNemo said:

Laws of themselves can be unlawful. Many dictatorships use wrongful "laws" to assert power.

Parliament is the dictator here, as they refuse to hold a General Election, which Boris has asked for twice... he can't be much of a dictator if he wants a General Election that he could lose.

dictator

[ dik-tey-ter, dik-tey-ter ]SHOW IPA

noun

a person exercising absolute power, especially a ruler who has absolute, unrestricted control in a government without hereditary succession.

A parliament is not a person, so can not fit within the definition of a dictator  

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Hogwash!

Parliament is the sovereign body that makes laws. PM's and their governments are accountable to parliament and are most certainly not above the law.

A law isn't bad or good based on whether you happen to like it!

He has expressed his wish for a GE, which parliament, whose decision it is, rejected because they don't trust him. He's now threatening to break the law. Hope he enjoys porridge!

But you have to admit it is an interesting system...

MP's are considered to be representatives, and are afforded the opportunity to vote their conscience, even if it is different from their constituents. That is the basis of representative, rather than direct democracy. The people's option if they disagree is to vote them out at the next election.

On the other hand, the Prime Minister is elected by the parliament, but for some reason those same principles don't apply. The difference, of course, is that parliament is allowed to make laws, where the people are not. Not saying this is right or wrong, but there is definitely a noticeable hypocrisy in the system. It is interesting that parliament expects the people to accept representative democracy, but then they demand direct democracy for themselves.

Isn't there an argument that Boris, being the elected Prime Minister, be allowed to serve in that capacity according to his consicience, and that parliament should simply vote him out with a vote of no confidence if they disagree with his actions? After all, that is the law they apply to themselves and their constituents...

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Much of which we recieve back in subsidies etc. I don't think that the EU share your view.

I think you are doing a BJ with that statement...”much of which we receive back....”.

Much of £19b to me would be something like, say, £15b. Do we get that back? ......no we don’t.

As you are well aware, the UK contribution is £17.4b (2018). 

The rebate of £4.2b is immediately applied to give a net payment to the EU of £13.2b.

If you want to squeeze out the value of EU payments to the UK public sector then you can subtract another £4b, giving an absolute net outflow of £9b.

• Like 2

That only 12% polled felt that they trusted the parliament was looking out for their interests is very telling. If an unrelated recession develops world wide there could be major push back in the streets when the economic pinch progresses, if the above number is accurate. Hopefully these present actions don't turn into the 'perfect storm' of economic conditions, too many have lost too much already.

2 hours ago, Victornoir said:

The EU for dummies.

Member nations unanimously choose the changes they want. Thus, it can be said that in 10 years the EU will be exactly what its members will have decided.

Without you, which I personally hope, it will be less tied to the US and will develop more cooperation with the Eastern European countries, including Russia.

And to understand the expression of non-British people, you need to show a minimum of empathy that seems to be lacking in you.

Agreed then. The EU is for dummies.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Correct, which is much less than 13% of the total cash input to the EU.

Also, it's impossible to calculate the net benefits to the UK of being in a customs union and being part of the largest trading block in the world. Much more than 9bn I'd wager.

I’d wager not.

13 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I think you are doing a BJ with that statement...”much of which we receive back....”.

Much of £19b to me would be something like, say, £15b. Do we get that back? ......no we don’t.

As you are well aware, the UK contribution is £17.4b (2018). 

The rebate of £4.2b is immediately applied to give a net payment to the EU of £13.2b.

If you want to squeeze out the value of EU payments to the UK public sector then you can subtract another £4b, giving an absolute net outflow of £9b.

QUOTE: ......giving an absolute net outflow of £9b.

The red bus stated 18b, we are now down to 9b, KEEP COUNTING !

• Like 2