The getting old curse – How are you dealing with it?

tomgreen

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had a life many of you would have loved to have had,spent time in London among many famous people in the 60s and 70s ,have been married and lived with women much younger than me, have travelled all over the world and had a heart attack at quite a young age.
Now in my 70s i have been married to my younger than me wife for over 20 yrs we are as happy as larry, i think about dying ,but just hope its quick.
Anyway i have done my bit for the human race and have 2 great offspring.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

59 minutes ago, tomgreen said:

I know to some reaching the age of 70 is a bonus and some thing to be proud of , but personally I just can’t seem to stop worrying about the fact that I’m now on the downward slope of life and my time is running out

Wrong attitude. Every day is a gift and a blessing, You should be thankful and look forward to it instead of complaining . 

1 hour ago, tomgreen said:

So there you are your in the later stages of your life , more than likely your retired and trying to enjoy what time you may have left before the grim reaper comes knocking at your door , you are no doubt trying to stay as healthy as possible may be watching your diet and keeping physically active. But what I would like to know is how are you mentally dealing with and coming to terms in the knowledge that you time on earth is slowly coming to the end , maybe some of your friends who you grew up with have already passed away and its now playing on your mind. 

I welcome death,

No more problems urinating, worrying about the exchange rate, or the new VISA rules.

8 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Bill Cosby?Not a man that I would be attributing anything much to.

It is IMO a truthful and clever quote, I think it was him , not sure, but I did not want people to think it was mine , I am not that clever. I give credit where credit is due, as much as blame. 

Here is one of mine.

"No man is a one act play"

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

That's possible for all of us is it? I'd say he's the exception rather than the rule. Genetics has a lot to do with it.

Thanks you just proved my point nicely, it has nothing to do with his or anyone's age does it, it's about their ability not the number they have reached.

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

It is IMO a truthful and clever quote, I think it was him , not sure, but I did not want people to think it was mine , I am not that clever. I give credit where credit is due, as much as blame. 

Here is one of mine.

"No man is a one act play"

Fair enough..

But I prefer Goethe's statement..

"Every man is the hero of his own play"

Until the curtain falls.

10 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Thanks you just proved my point nicely, it has nothing to do with his or anyone's age does it, it's about their ability not the number they have achieved.

You haven't scored any points here, I clearly said "he's the exception rather than the rule", never mentioned anything about age, You seem unable to admit the fact that getting old, and I'd clarify that by saying from 60 on, brings about diseases and ailments that you don't commonly see in the young. Let's agree to disagree, this is getting boring.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

You haven't scored any points here, I clearly said "he's the exception rather than the rule", never mentioned anything about age, You seem unable to admit the fact that getting old, and I'd clarify that by saying from 60 on, brings about diseases and ailments that you don't see in the young. Let's agree to disagree, this is getting boring.

You seem unable to accept the fact the age/number that you are has absolutely nothing to do with how you feel or condition of your health.

As you said, agree to disagree.

At times, I find it very frustrating & it can make me a bit grumpy. I am however, thankful that I have an understanding, loving wife who has patience.

I try not to think of how my parents became overwhelmed with their ailments, & attempt to accept the inevitable.

Age is more than just a number. I've lost several friends in their 70" s from cancer and I need a hip replacment at 57, just because you feel good doesn't mean you won't be dead next year. The longer we live the greater the odds of Dying.

Acceptance of the inevitable makes it easier

Will be 71 this November. I still make constantly plans, like I always did in my life.   

I am now in Pattaya, 30 october I fly to Belgium for 2 months, take a return flight on 31 december, so New Year in the air. Don't know yet if I will come back to Pattaya or stay a few months in Thonglor, after Pattaya or Belgium.

Not afraid of dying, but afraid of the pain. In fact I am curious about death, something after or not?

I'm only 58 so not sure I am allowed to comment. I do worry about one thing in relation to getting old - that I'll conk out before Spurs win the EPL. 

On a slightly more serious note I think that having the attention and needs of very young children around me means that I have few times to dwell. I honestly obsessed about getting old far more when I was in my twenties than I do now and I don't think that is set to change in my sixties or seventies. Also I have passed through medical emergencies in which I believed that I was extremely unlikely to see even 50 years of age; this means that now nearing 60 I am thankful for every day I wake up even if my back hurts or my three year old needs chasing around the pool table. Having a cerebral interest - worldwide tournament Scrabble and the practice regimen needed to retain a reasonably high world ranking - also keeps the mental acuity quite finely tuned. Work is also a big factor for me and it is inconceivable that I would consider giving up writing for a living, ever. 

Positive thinking and a very active life, especially mentally, are key components for me and will continue. Maintaining a healthy diet and following the advice of my doctor (a Thai who is a Man City supporter) are also important. He thinks I have a fair chance of seeing Harry lift the EPL trophy...

Rooster

Just now, luckyluke said:

Will be 71 this November. I still make constantly plans, like I always did in my life.   

I am now in Pattaya, 30 october I fly to Belgium for 2 months, take a return flight on 31 december, so New Year in the air. Don't know yet if I will come back to Pattaya or stay a few months in Thonglor, after Pattaya or Belgium.

Not afraid of dying, but afraid of the pain. In fact I am curious about death, something after or not?

Don't get a DVT-not unusual in flying as it will ruin your entire day.

It has has happened to two friends of mine-curiously enough,one Belgian and one Dutch.

You are in good health until you ain't.You will know it when it happens to you.

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

You are in good health until you ain't.

Sure, but I never planned my life in function of what bad may happen, won't change now because of my age.

When it will occur, time to take the necessary decision one have to take at that very moment and according to the than circumstances.

This include the possibility of a " final decision ".

Just hoping I will physically be able to take the decision.

I can relate to what the OP is talking about although I tend to not think about getting old but I constantly think about those who are dead such as parent's, uncle's, aunt's and cousin's and friends who I grew up near.

I'm younger than most here however I think i'm just about sitting on the sofa in the waiting room so when the lights come i'll just stand and walk toward. 

I think it's about been with the family from school onwards and remembering the funny times we shared. There's no dress rehearsal there's no stage show, it's just a journey from start to finish and it's real. :drunk:   

Archived