"Act now before it's too late" - uni environmentalist posts disgraceful picture of Thai beach

webfact

6 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

Not just beaches. I ride bikes on rural roads in Chiang Mai. It's really dismaying to see how people dump anywhere they think they can get away with it. I do mean dump, not just littering. There's no environmental sense, not to mention respect for others' private property. Really sad.

In UK it is so common they have an expression for it. Fly Tipping. So it is not just in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, wisperone said:

Do you think he grabbed pictures on line somewhere and posted them here? 

No but the Uni environmentalist might have...

The world is full of fake news.

Edited by VocalNeal

Obviously no poster has been made aware that this is Thailand's new way to stop erosion which they want the world to adopt.  Remember. Thailand is at the cutting edge and the hub of everything.  Remember, if all of that material were to be removed, what would the tourists have to take phenomenal "selfies" with?

'nuf sed.

Edited by wotsdermatter

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Not only the beaches. The whole country looks like a dumpsite.

Drove through a small village on the way to the golf course that has a market every Tues. morning. Drove by it on the way back & the amount of plastic bags & trash was horrifying. My wife said all Thais do this. I then got an "ata boy" for picking up 2 plastic water bottles & a cookie wrapper while I was golfing.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, meechai said:

There is this really weird behavior among Thai people

We have seen it many times over the years regardless of what province it is in.

If one Thai dumps some trash at a roadside spot it is as if someone put up a blinking sign that said

"New Dump Site"

Because in the coming weeks/months that single dumping of trash attracts more & more folks to dump there

It's the same with street vendors and even shophouses, herd animals copying each other. A function of population density, the more heads per square meter the more it becomes like an ant's nest, no brain usage required.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

All it would take is a crew of five, with a foreman.

It is like the old question, "How many Poles does it take to change a light bulb?"  In this case, you are right with a twist.  The foreman does the work and the work crew stand around in order to learn how not to do something correctly.

'nuf sed.

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Over the years I have noticed more and more dumping of rubbish and various junk around the remoter places.  I cycled into the mountains near a dam where there used to be a lovely lake with buffalo grazing nearby and lush forest a few years back.  Well it had turned into a scene from an apocalyptic movie.... most of the trees were burnt, the lake was thick green soup, there were huge mountains of trash and rubbish piled everywhere and in the lake, in various stages of being burnt, and there were more piles of rusting fridges, an old car, and masses of plastic and plaster building materials in all directions.  I was disgusting and saddening how some people don't care at all about their environment or want to look after their own home and country.  

Believe me , this will only get worse ...

the good times are long gone , people show their real , ugly faces , not all are acting irresponsible against the environment , but most just do not care ... it is the 'me first ' mentality that will lead us to Dystopia .

• Like 2