"Act now before it's too late" - uni environmentalist posts disgraceful picture of Thai beach

webfact

Every week I fill two large grocery shopping bags with rubbish that has been thrown on the roadside in front of my house by Thais.  There are no tourists or tourist sites anywhere near my house, so tourists cannot be blamed.  The worst polluters are the selfish Thais who consider their beautiful country to be a rubbish bin. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, the guest said:

It's all down to education. The government needs a keep Thailand clean campaign. However, I'm not sure if the message by the locals will be heard though?

In Holland there is a saying "someone is East-Indian deaf" (comes with the colonial times I reckon) meaning selective hearing.

Sure does go for Thailand.

8 hours ago, Myran said:

People should start to flood the net with pictures of their local, dirty beaches with the hashtag #AmazingThailand or something. Shaming is apparently the only thing that will get the government and communities in gear.

Ha, don’t hold your breath, to much trouble to them. It can be reversed so quickly but it would spoil the MP’s free lunches and dinners were they show off. Mostly same over the world. 

Littering Fines in Thailand

Litterers will be prosecuted and either fined 100,000 THB (US$3,190) or face a year in jail. You can be fined up to 2,000 THB if you're caught littering on the sidewalk. If you are fined a sum more than this amount, the individual may not be authorized to enforce the littering law.May 8, 2018

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/southeast-asia/thailand/a-travellers-guide-to-thailands-laws

Unfortunately, the local P0lice force on Soi 9 love to pose in their spiffy uniforms standing next to their shiny motorbikes there by the beach,  but never seem to be actually patrolling or enforcing.

Maybe I could ask them if they would "authorize" me to enforce the littering law.

Would be perfect, as no one would suspect me  

Will get back to you on that :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Myran said:

People should start to flood the net with pictures of their local, dirty beaches with the hashtag #AmazingThailand or something. Shaming is apparently the only thing that will get the government and communities in gear.

A good thought....unfortunately, I don't think many Thais notice rubbish...it's an integral part of their everyday environment...same as dogs, loud music and bad smells.

Where are the bins for people to use near beaches or in the town's? Hardly any to be seen. What bins are there are overflowing and collection is once a day, if that. Thai people need to stop buying Stingers and submarines and start buying bins and refuse trucks.

And to think that Thais are taught from the earliest age that we Farangs are not even real people ???? Unfortunately it is not just a Thai problem. There used to be a large lake in central Phnom Penh, surrounded by houses on stilts over the water. Everything went straight out of the window and the lake no longer exists !

2 hours ago, jeff270476 said:

How about if we create , us the expats here, a website as well as a fb page and publish pictures of trash sites here daily? and name the site amazing-trashiland.com ?? 

That would be easy for us to grab attention - even go viral on internet and tourisms publication which will force authority to take action.  No?

The govt would probably figure out a way to charge us with posting false information ????

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

A good thought....unfortunately, I don't think many Thais notice rubbish...it's an integral part of their everyday environment...same as dogs, loud music and bad smells.

God forbid if they clean up their building material trash after a new house construction   before they throw down  landscaping soil on the new premises. I mention this to my Thai neighbor,she said yes many Thais throw rubbish on their own premises and not think nothing of it.

12 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

So let's get this straight.

77 million Thais - 150,000 farangs. Of whom, maybe 5000, or so, build houses.

And its the farang's construction debris?

Could be. Could be chinese too. Could be any body who lives here. Maybe like Yinn says, its just another Thai landfill. Getting your panties in a wad for what reason then?

52 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Where are the bins for people to use near beaches or in the town's? Hardly any to be seen. What bins are there are overflowing and collection is once a day, if that. Thai people need to stop buying Stingers and submarines and start buying bins and refuse trucks.

The money for trash collection or bins has been collected for better use to be distributed to the worthy civil "servants". Not surprisingly being one seems to be a dream job for Thais.

Thailands refuse collection & recycling ability is woefully inadequate for the population, coupled to sites for public tipping are non-existent hence the pics we see posted from the likes of Hua Hin ... 

This has to come from the government... but educating the public has to be a high priority to change bad habits!

I've almost got into fights by asking people why they just threw their inorganic rubbish on the ground or in the bushes, when there is a bin, either next to them or nearby.

Selfish people. Hopefully at least some of them will think about their actions and talk to the people who are still selfish. Until there is just a mass of opinion that finds it unacceptable.

4 hours ago, dcnx said:

This mindset is the problem.

”But it’s ______________” doesn’t fix things.

In your country where they throw building waste?

in landfill? 

Here is landfill.

The beaches are just half of it....... The 'roadsides' are just as bad...... In and around Pattaya I drive by a number of places in rural areas that are local disposal sites.... I don't know why 'authorities dont install remote video cameras to catch the illegal dumpers..... They can't do that at sea but they could on land....

4 hours ago, 0815 said:

Where else should the Chinese go then to new malls ?

I don't know where you live but here in Pattaya, the Chinese use the beach for 2 things,1) the free boat trip to kho larn or the free parasail ,2nd, beach sellfies after 4pm....but our malls are full of happy Chinese eating food ,taking pictures of food , looking at food ,buying food , and taking yet more pictures of the food....

And ALSO....... I am thinking that most of the trash/plastic in the pictures are dumped bins off of tourist and fishing boats.... at sea........    Many passenger ferries also contribute as the crews are too lazy (Thai) to bring ashore to dispose of it at the end of their trip...... If these boats were 'policed' (and crews educated - or fined) to see if they offload any trash, It could reduce the trash on the beach........... Maybe..... Just a little........

I thought the authorities were enforcing the no smoking on the beach, 

and that was due to the littering issue. Lol

If the locals would pay more attention to the real issue at hand, 

then they might be able to come up with a solution, 

like...placing trash / rubbish bins at more access points,

instead of acting like people will actually carry there discarded waste away in their arms.

10 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I would like to know is that beach really in Thailand if so where?

Why do you think it is not and what is your idea with that. It is bad wherever it is. Environment is global and we all knows that thais is not among the top to keap it clean. 

Archived