When do you need a 2nd ID?

I failed a 2 to 5 year renewal today for my DL (1" off on the depth perception test). I'll try again but this ordeal made me wonder when a 2nd ID is needed or useful in Thailand, or going back home. I don't drive after 5 years here so that is the purpose it serves.

What situations have you guys found a 2nd ID to be helpful?

Also if there is a non-DL Id I can apply for in Thailand please let me know.

If you can obtain it is very handy and far less trouble than loss of passport by theft, misadventure (in the washr/dog etc) or accident containg visa let alone the cost, about the only time (aside from going abroad) I need a passport is dealing with the endless rigmarole at immigration.I suppose it creates employment and opportunities for grease.

I do not imagine this will ever change but I cannot recall any of the emany places Ive lived in Asia Eurpe Australia or America that ever needed a passport after entry

Edited by RubbaJohnny

I see a few times a second ID would come in useful.  Like at the Erawan museum if you want to use the earphones with the recorded guide you have to leave them an ID for deposit.  They wanted a passport but I gave them my Thai drivers license instead.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

If you can obtain it is very handy and far less trouble than loss of passport by theft, misadventure (in the washr/dog etc) or accident containg visa let alone the cost, about the only time (aside from going abroad) I need a passport is dealing with the endless rigmarole at immigration.I suppose it creates employment and opportunities for grease.

I do not imagine this will ever change but I cannot recall any of the emany places Ive lived in Asia Eurpe Australia or America that ever needed a passport after entry

Hotels, that actually report foreigners, will require to see it.  Also when dealing with the banks here they will require to see your passport.  They won't accept copies or a Thai drivers license.

2 hours ago, rwill said:

On that depth perception test try raising up a bit so you can sort of look down on them.  It makes it easier than looking straight on at them.  Or have your wife signal you when to stop.  I even have had testers that helped with it.

I couldn't understand the test equipment. After I failed it 3 or 4 times the examiner just told me when to hit the button. In a room full of other people applying. Funny. 

• Like 1

I sold a property in Oz not long ago.  Didnt want to do the trip home so had to use notary services at Aust embassy.  Needed a second ID apart from passport.  While there I also got them to notarise/certify ID for getting a replacement for my lost Aust, drivers license. 

One thing to note, in my experience, is that the ID must have both photo and signature.  Thai drivers does not.  Sometimes you dont realise these things till you need them, I didnt. 

3 hours ago, rwill said:

On that depth perception test try raising up a bit so you can sort of look down on them.  It makes it easier than looking straight on at them.  Or have your wife signal you when to stop.  I even have had testers that helped with it.

Or see if you can spot the green light the tester uses.

59 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

I sold a property in Oz not long ago.  Didnt want to do the trip home so had to use notary services at Aust embassy.  Needed a second ID apart from passport.  While there I also got them to notarise/certify ID for getting a replacement for my lost Aust, drivers license. 

One thing to note, in my experience, is that the ID must have both photo and signature.  Thai drivers does not.  Sometimes you dont realise these things till you need them, I didnt. 

Thai drivers license DOES have your photo on it but no signature. Pink ID card has your photo but NO signature, and I've had both accepted, trouble free, for identification purposes by Govt & non- govt organisations.

Edited by TigerandDog
correction
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Its not necessary to have a second form of ID most of the time but, for most needs in Thailand, It's acceptable and far more convenient to carry a plastic Pink ID or Thai DL which is a convenient size for your wallet,hard wearing and unlikely to get damaged rather than carrying a Passport that, size-wise, is inconvenient to carry and, by construction, is easily damaged. In my opinion, it's far better to keep the passport at home, locked in the safe, in good condition and only removed when necessary.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2019 at 9:35 AM, Hal65 said:

Also if there is a non-DL Id I can apply for in Thailand please let me know.

If you are eligible for a Yellow House Book (the one a foreigner's name is listed in), you can have a so-called "pink ID-card" for foreigners.

Both Yellow House Book and Pink ID-card is handy for address verification, and sometimes the ID-card can give you some kind of "resident status", rather than being tourist.

Your name in a house book grants you a Thai ID-number, which you can use in many cases instead of passport number, and don't need to change anything, when renewing passport.

However, if you are not eligible for a Yellow House Book, you can manage fine with your passport, I did that for many years. Often a photocopy to be carried around is enough, but original passport is often needed for bank business, and when in a government office.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

One can buy a Thai Driver license for 3K baht. Not sure what good a thing that you can buy for $100. Then again one can buy a one year visa for $600 and it is good for staying in Thailand. So may be Thai Driver license is ok

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You condone what you allow.

I think it is terrible having someone with no sense of distance, ie sight disabled driving on the roads.

I'm  in the middle of deciding if I want my Thai ID card with a Thai name, therefore giving me two identities. Thus may have some advantages.

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

One can buy a Thai Driver license for 3K baht. Not sure what good a thing that you can buy for $100. Then again one can buy a one year visa for $600 and it is good for staying in Thailand. So may be Thai Driver license is ok

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Point me to where a ligit Thai DL is available under the table. I tried this few months back because AU embassy does not do certificate of residence. Did not want waste day Thai imm CW and also tm30 problem. I looked into many agents. All wanted CR and could not cover that. So put up or ...... Direct me to the 3k Thai DL. 

BTW I have full au car/bike licence.

I couldn't understand the test equipment. After I failed it 3 or 4 times the examiner just told me when to hit the button. In a room full of other people applying. Funny. 

When I was stood in line to do the test a guy behind me was pointing out to a friend that if you watch the shadow on the open door ( door that the tester shows you how far you are off ) you can get a better idea.
4 or 5 guys in front of me, when they passed I noted the shadow on the door, on my turn I tried to do it honestly and failed, the tester showed me my result and told me to try again .

On my second attempt did I use the shadow method ??

Of course I did !!

It’s not cheating, just using the information available [emoji28]

That depth perception test is challenging, not sure how well it correlates to actual vision requirements during driving. I guess if you're driving solely inside tunnels it might be a good test?

And I did observe some cheating in my group of ~ 25 people, with one person standing near the test admin and signalling their friend being tested.

I'd get a DL, and yes, these are available for 3,000 baht, if I needed to drive a vehicle. I wouldn't get one just for an ID. Seems like we need a passport to get anything asccomplished here.

4 hours ago, sumrit said:

Drunks would fit into that category but they're even more dangerous on the roads. 

I think there's  a limit where people  can drink. For me, I was an alcoholic when I passed my test in the UK. I needed 3 strong pints if beer to settle my "nerves".

But only an alkie would understand this, it would be more dangerous to drive without any drink sometimes.

I have only driven twice in my life with  ANY alcohol in my body.

Should people with one be allowed to drive? If they pass the test, yes.

• Thanks 1