Do Thai banks and other businesses usually accept foreign IDs for normal identification?

Does anyone use a foreign driver's license, passport card or similar for basic identification not involving Thai police or immigration?

We have these passport cards in the US. They are as strong as a state driver's license in terms of being a valid photo ID document. Much easier to carry around. I would not be relying on one for travel, I just want a 2nd identification for use in the US and maybe also Thailand (again, not involving police or immigration matters).

For account openings or strict things I would also plan ahead and bring the passport book. But I am curious if Thai places like banks or similar will use foreign ID cards like the US passport card for daily business.

I wouldn't think they would be accepted for ID anywhere in Thailand. 

You'd be hard pushed to find anybody in Thailand, apart from a US citizen, that would even know what they are.

The Thai police do usually accept a foreign Drivers Licence in tourist areas, providing they're written in English.

Edited by john terry1001

No.

A U.S. Passport card would carry about as much weight here as a Costco card. 

You really need your original passport in hand to get anything done in a bank or at Immigration.

And make sure you update your bank records when you get a new passport.

A copy might buy you some time with the police, it's supposed to be OK; I certainly carry a copy with me, along with my ext of stay stamp.

I have often used a card sized plastic enclosed color passport copy or Thai drivers license for ID. My passport book only for immigration and account openings. Foreign dL no.

My pp copy works so well I think I will get a pp card.

Note not one person who talks down the pp cards above actually reports trying to use one.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

There recently was a thread about Krungthai bank pointing out that only original passport is accepted for foreigners.

Some will dispute it and say they can withdraw money at the counter with Thai DL.

Try it and report.

Foreign ID cards? Can't believe it.

They already struggle enough to find the information in foreign passports.

Where is the family name? :smile:

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Banks want a passport that they can copy and add to the great mountain of paperwork they already have. ????

Well observed :biggrin:

No trivial counter/desk transaction without a staple of copies and at least half a dozen signatures.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Well observed :biggrin:

No trivial counter/desk transaction without a staple of copies and at least half a dozen signatures.

Next time they hand you the copy of your passport to sign turn it over and if it's a new piece of paper draw 3 or 4 squigly lines down it and put a BIG signature on it.

The look on their faces is classic and makes the next beer go down so much better. 

I do it as often as I can. ????????

Banks and government and the now required (one time) BTS card proof of person ... require a Passport.  The plastic card gets me into buildings where ID is required, and pretty much any other "around town" things where ID is required.  I also have all my Passport Pages scanned and up in the cloud if required.  Been here 8 years, working perfectly.  BTW, I made the ID card myself with a high quality passport scan, and professional lamination.  Front page on the front, current Visa on the back.  Works like a charm.

5 minutes ago, RBOP said:

Recently at an SSO office they wanted my Thai Pink card, Thai drivers licence and my passport to receive a cheque from them.  

You don't have your funds auto deposited in Bangkok Bank?  And may I ask, where is there a Social Security Office in Thailand?

15 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Bangkok bank did not accept my US state Driver's license. Not sure if they will take Thai Driver's license or not. Thai Driver's license is for sale for 3K.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Bangkok Bank will except your Thai Drivers license as it has your passport number on it

10 hours ago, topt said:

Many reports on here of folks checking into hotels with Thai DLs - have done so myself.

I use to use my drivers license to check into hotels but it is getting harder to do so, they want the passport. The first time this happened was at a hotel in Kanchanaburi where I had used the drivers license, they said no immigration checks now and wants PP

1 hour ago, bangkokequity said:

You don't have your funds auto deposited in Bangkok Bank?  And may I ask, where is there a Social Security Office in Thailand?

I think he's referring to a Thai Social Security Office.  There's probably at least one in every province.

I've used my Passport Card to get cash on my US debit/credit card.

46 minutes ago, TerryLH said:

I think he's referring to a Thai Social Security Office.  There's probably at least one in every province.

I've used my Passport Card to get cash on my US debit/credit card.

So confused ... why would a Foreigner be at the Thai Social Security office?  Since no one cares what a Thai National needs ... ummm .. it is their country, and they are THAI.

For proof of ID...

• For banks, only your original passport will do.
  • For government offices, they will want whatever piece of ID or company paperwork (plus 4 copies) that you haven't brought with you that day. ????

21 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Bangkok bank did not accept my US state Driver's license. Not sure if they will take Thai Driver's license or not. Thai Driver's license is for sale for 3K.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Bangkok Bank, and I assume other banks, want your passport number connected to your account when the account is opened... and if you get a new passport they need to be notified. So it stands to reason when doing a counter withdrawal they want to see that pp as ID ( as well as comparison of signature).

19 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Quite honestly - most don't even accept Thai Residence Certificate book,

"Most"  what?

If you mean banks, they want to see the passport tied to the account. Seems reasonable. I don't want them dispensing money from my account to someone with any easily reproduced ID. 

i doubt many banks in the US would accept just any township, county, parish, school district, municipal, whatever ID just because it was issued by " their own government" or that a high percentage of Americans carry their passports with them while in the US, so the DL seems a reasonable option.

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

or that a high percentage of Americans carry their passports with them while in the US,

I seem to remember reading a while ago that a fairly high proportion don't even have a passport at all......

Thought I would check - Apparently in 2017

The share of the U.S. population with a passport stood at 27 percent in 2007 and that has now increased to 42 percent. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2018/01/11/the-share-of-americans-holding-a-passport-has-increased-dramatically-in-recent-years-infographic/#2f68dc863c16