Brexit may have 'gravest of consequences' for health: UK lawmaker

webfact

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

It is a big "What If" Bill, how much faith would you put in the government?

It would be irresponsible for anyone to say there is no risk and when it comes to health creating risk is not really the best approach to take.

Much less than I would buying a used car from Arfur Daly.

The problem with politicians world wide is that the majority promise the people that they will do this, that and the other. Yet when they get elected they seem to forget their promises to represent their constituency and do what the party tells them is good.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Much less than I would buying a used car from Arfur Daly.

The problem with politicians world wide is that the majority promise the people that they will do this, that and the other. Yet when they get elected they seem to forget their promises to represent their constituency and do what the party tells them is good.

Or even worse, do what the opposition tells them is good.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Is it a good time to play Hotel California revamped to include medical supplies...? 

I am sure that Boots and Savers will remain open.

Don't count on getting candles or water as most people have been stocking up in case there are power cuts.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Can't all these Brexit threads be put under one roof...After all, we are in LOS and not the UK....????

Some of us oscillate between the two (or France in my case) Indeed the impossible of getting health cover when you have pre-existing conditions is the main reason I've never moved to LOS full time.  

1 minute ago, tebee said:

If you thought immigrants were swamping the NHS, wait till after a no deal brexit. There are 1.2 million retired Brits in Europe, mostly in France and Spain. The government has   just written to them telling that after the 31st October their healthcare provision will cease in the event of a no deal Brexit - This is in spite of that very same government  making an public announcement that cover would continue for 6 months post-brexit. 

So they are all going to be left high and dry with just over a months notice  - anybody with a pre-existing medical condition will find it impossible to get private cover and cover for the over 65 is expensive at the best of times.

The same letter informs them they will still be eligible for NHS cover if they return to the UK - most of them will be forced to take this option.

People like me, who worked in France before we retired will luckily escape this as we have our own rights in the French system, but everyone who moved to Europe post retirement gets their rights to health from the UK under EU provisions - at the moment it looks if this will cease on October 31st.

So be prepared for an influx of 1 million or so elderly Brits who will not only need healthcare but accommodation and social services support .

Brexit the gift that keeps on giving....   

That is shameful. Two-faced and immoral However we can trust parliament to reject any attempt to a no-deal. Something that Corbyn would rectify when the tories go crashing out at the next election.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, stephenterry said:

That is shameful. Two-faced and immoral However we can trust parliament to reject any attempt to a no-deal. Something that Corbyn would rectify when the tories go crashing out at the next election.

With the help of Jerry Addams or an Iranian bloke no doubt....????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, transam said:

Can't all these Brexit threads be put under one roof...After all, we are in LOS and not the UK....????

That’s the sort of thing people complain about; they undercut our wages by living with half a dozen threads under one roof...

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

the clown is a remainer, euro medical suppliers said there are no problems at all ,and also the head of DOVER  UK PORT and his counterpart in  FRANCEs aid there will be  no problems

The leavers kicked the EMA out of the UK, something that others are going to have to live to regret.

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

555 you are assuming that all over 65s abroad are completely skint and in urgent need of medical attention. Ridiculous. Classic project fear exaggeration. I know a few Brits living in Spain (friends of family) and they are absolutely loaded. 5 bedroom hillside villas with a pool, couple of BMWs and properties in the UK. I highly doubt they'll be flying back to wait 3 months for a doctors appontment on the NHS.

Some Brits may come back for the NHS. Some non Brits will no longer be eligible for the free healthcare that British tax payers have paid for over the past 50 years. It will even out. Another project fear failure.

Try again.

There may be a few absolutely loaded but the majority are not - if you end up paying 20k a year for health cover how long will even a small fortune last ?

i'm only 65 but even now my monthly medicines cost €143  - lucky full paid for my the French state. in addition I have a full  set of blood tests done every 3 months and annual checkups by the cardiologistst, opthalmist and the endocrinologist.  

If I was paying for all this I'd be broke and running back to the UK to get it for free.

If only 20% of British retirees have  have to return, how is the NHS going to cope - the first ones forced back will be those with chronic conditions and the most demands on the health care system.

As regards Spanish pensioners in the UK becoming equally ineligible, do you know just how many of those there are ? A government committee checked and found it was a ridiculously low number like 22  . How many Spaniards look at the UK and think - oh that would be a nice place to retire to....  

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 8:35 PM, Sir Dude said:

Nice cherry picking of one sentence whilst avoiding the rest of the content that is true ... come back when you have something interesting to say and address the post with a response that resembles a decent answer to the whole post other than a pithy vague smart-<deleted> one-liner fashionable troll post that gives nothing really to the conversation.

Only one line needed replying to - I only had to set the record straight. Job done

But just to confirm a Brexiteer murdered a young woman for backing Remain correct ?