Higher tax on sweetened beverages expected to reduce public health woes

rooster59

Overly sugary drinks and food stuff have become, in the name of free commerce, out of control, where profit was put above all and the government was left to pick up the health bills, in in my opinion, if enough people will consume far lees of them, then it's worth it...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Sugar intake is a real problem in this country for sure. But the choices for unsweetened or sugar free drinks here are quite limited. I think you need to have those alternatives before you are going to see change.

Doesn't effect me. I only drink water, black coffee or tea with nothing added. And even with that, weight loss is difficult for me.

I agree and without any promotion of sugar free alternatives this seems rather like nothing more than tax revenue generator. As there are so few alternatives to drinks with sugar I don't agree with unamazedloso, alternatives like diet drinks would be a bit help.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Pm2.5 is 133 in kanchanaburi this morning. Thai government dont care about the health of people clearly. They just want more stupid tanks, submarines and helicopter's. 

I should add that if you buy and consume fattening things its your own fault. How much help does the government really assist with that calls for a tax increase?

Its all bs...

A lot of problem is lack of education about many things including food, sugars etc. Even the younger chefs coming through have sweeter tastes and make so food much too sweet to eat.

What the government should be saying is use alternatives to sugar!!, but, then, where is sugar grown??? mmmm.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Sugar intake is a real problem in this country for sure. But the choices for unsweetened or sugar free drinks here are quite limited. I think you need to have those alternatives before you are going to see change.

Doesn't effect me. I only drink water, black coffee or tea with nothing added. And even with that, weight loss is difficult for me.

In an article I read a while back on the topic of obesity in the Asian region, 3 in 1 coffee sachets were mentioned as a major contributory factor, especially in Malaysia apparently.

I was in Egypt recently, a country which also has this problem and I noted that Nestle produce 2 in 1 sachets, coffee and creamer only. I've never seen these on the selves here.

I weaned myself off coffee with sugar quite some time ago and now brew my own.

Time for Nestle (and others) to wake up and smell the coffee. (pun intended)

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

Let's go back a few decades.....I am not seeing the unending stream of fat people and I am not seeing KFC, McDonald's and all the other fast food outlets.  Maybe there is a link between the two!!!  Sure there has been Thai junk food and sweets, you can see that at any market any day of the week.  The difference is in the marketing.  And maybe how much disposable income people have these days.  Food for thought.

2 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

Let's go back a few decades.....I am not seeing the unending stream of fat people and I am not seeing KFC, McDonald's and all the other fast food outlets.  Maybe there is a link between the two!!!  Sure there has been Thai junk food and sweets, you can see that at any market any day of the week.  The difference is in the marketing.  And maybe how much disposable income people have these days.  Food for thought.

I think that there can be no doubt that there is a link between western fast foods and fatness. It really become apparent to me when I note that I rarely see fat people in the villages and countryside around where I live, but becomes much more prevalent when I go into town, where they have ready access.

This is not confined to Thailand either, most countries in the region are showing this same tendency. I recall when I lived in China, Pizza Hut, Big Macs and the like were always doing a roaring trade and with the same results as here.