cleaning vegetables

jaffas21

3 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

I think, the research quoted was debunked. It was funded and supported by the organic food industry.

There have been constant scandals with "organics".

Remember, even the most gaiaish grown something could have been handled by some dude with HPV and a nasty case of the trots

You want pure fruits, veggies and weed, grow them yourself. Give those plant pests some love, they will just leave.

Edited by Nyezhov

21 hours ago, CharlieH said:

All the fruit and veg I eat is imported. Now, that doesn't mean its chem free etc but living in a rural farming area and seeing the daily chemicals being sprayed and transported around, there is no way I would eat any veg etc grown/produced here. 

https://www.thethailandlife.com/truth-about-pesticides-thailand

images-1.jpeg

thai-farmer-prepare-chemical-sprayer-260nw-541467049.jpg

I live in a rural area too, which has just been under water, this is now causing skin problems in those people badly affected by flooding.  

Imported from where ? 

Most comes from China especially in the local market.

Organic, hydroponic many still use chemicals.   

Thai organic is / may not be the same as other countries.

Although having been in farming since 1961, being a vegetarian for 45 years and vegan for 40 years, all one can do is try to learn where and what to buy and be sensible about cleaning what you intend to eat.

As for meat, washed with chlorine in the factory.

Edited by Speedo1968
Added text

3 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

I think, the research quoted was debunked. It was funded and supported by the organic food industry.

???? Not sure that I understand your comment here Fred?

Are you saying that research which found that the "organic" vegetable label was in many cases a ruse, was funded by the organic food industry?

Here in CM, Rimping have introduced both organic and pesticide-free vegetables - which could be better than unlabelled ones. Also a recent introduction are veggies from the Queen's royal project, which IMO, look a whole lot fresher and healthier than the main shelf choices - and cheaper.

As a few posters quoted growing your own - albeit limited choice - could be the best solution, although it's not foolproof against bought-in soil disease/additives, and contaminated water from taps, or even from rainwater. 

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

Here in CM, Rimping have introduced both organic and pesticide-free vegetables - which could be better than unlabelled ones. Also a recent introduction are veggies from the Queen's royal project, which IMO, look a whole lot fresher and healthier than the main shelf choices - and cheaper.

As a few posters quoted growing your own - albeit limited choice - could be the best solution, although it's not foolproof against bought-in soil disease/additives, and contaminated water from taps, or even from rainwater. 

You die from living. Better stop living then?

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 2:05 PM, justin case said:

glyphosate and gmo ... you just don't wash it off anymore

some dude probably will claim it does not harm the human body

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. Gmo is not a chemical and you will never see a vegetable covered in glysophate.

... and you can't wash/soak out Nitrogen (gassed) into fruits; to stimulate simulate an earlier ripening for the shelves...  

my best chuckle is to see a bottle of Organic Honey, next to Honey not labelled as such! 

Like duh... how much money can be pumped into the Industry? :

- for enabling Bees to learn English? 

...so as to prove they have read the "No Entry for Organic Bees to these GMO paddocks" 

3 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Glyphosate is used to kill  vegetation (herbicide). If used on fruit or vegetable the plants would simply die.

Well, not really quite that simple.

Glyphosate is used to kill unwanted vegetation (weeds et cetera) but its use is as a general spray, so it is applied to a whole field, for example, and the hoped-for effect is that the undesirables die off, and the reason the other stuff says untouched is because the seeds have been genetically engineered to resist the effects of glyphosate, so whatever is being grown, still grows and is supposedly unaffected.

Glyphosate, however is still taken up by the plants, but it has no effect, but that's not to say that it doesn't affect the human body, and in general the jury is out on that.

5 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

That's true to an extent, but toxicity from ingested products is considered low. The half life average is less than 50 days. The main risk from glyphosates is contact with recently sprayed foliage. 

As I understand it, the jury is still out on the toxicity aspect from ingesting the products which have taken up the glyphosate, but perhaps you are better informed than me on that as its long time since I paid any attention to glyphosate.

I think you're right with the main risk from glyphosate being the recently sprayed foliage, and indeed the spray itself, where multiple unexplained cancers were prevalent in small communities in and around areas in Argentina, which were mass sprayed with glyphosate.