Committee to consider regulating high-risk entertainment industry

snoop1130

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

First step: Make prostitution legal in Thailand.

Then the working contracts with the pretties can contain exactly what they are supposed to do.

And that is obviously not only about the pretties. 

Its the oldest occupation in the world, and nowhere they have a solution for the pimping,human trafficing and other problems you think you have the solution ?? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

During the late Vietnam War (1972-73) all prostitutes were registered and regulated since gonorrhea and syphilis was rampant here back then.  Pleasure girls carried a 'VD book' with their photo, registration number, and, stamped pages revealing a history of required periodic medical exams (every 2 weeks IIRC).  A prospective customer could ask to see the book and verify the date of her last 'VD check'.  He could also report her registration number to police if she gave him more than he bargained for. ????????

Back to the future, I was actually shocked when I returned to LOS in 2004 to find the government had abandoned this not perfect, but better than nothing, 'VD' regulation and monitoring system.  Go figure.

Booklet really isn’t necessary.  Just ask them directly:

“ You clean honey?”

”Oh yes handsome man, you no worry, me no porcupine” 

or just hand them a simple handy check list....Relying on the honor system of course. 

Yes         No

Syphilis              ????          ???? 

Gonorrhea          ????          ????

Herpes               ????          ????

Crabs                 ????          ????

fleas                  ????          ???? 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Maybe because as with any system the ""book" was  rubber stamped without any check, just the payment?

If a customer got more than bargained for then any report on the individual should be only as part of investigating who possesses the rubber stamp.

But as you state it is sad to abandon a monitoring system that is even more pertinent with the advent of HIV.

Yes, VD rampant in those days and there were cases were US and Aust. soldiers were banned from returning home at the end of their tour of duty, sparking (in Australia) complaints to the newspapers that the Aust. PM was deliberately holding soldiers in Vietnam against their will and more. It was policy that the complainants usually wives or mothers) must receive a response but they were never told about VD still uncured. In some cases it took over a year before they were allowed to go home. This was of course 50+ years ago when treatments weren't advanced. 

many "funny" comments, tears in my eyes but not from laughing.

Regulating the working environment should have been done long time ago.
Compulsory Health checks, Working permits for foreigners,
Access to health insurance, and pay tax.
Would also help control trafficking.
just like in many other countries that look after protecting their citizens.

Edited by KKr

Interesting- as usual the men ( I cant imagine there are many women commenting) on Thai Visa are condemning a proposal to perhaps give some protection and regulate the exploitation of women in the ‘entertainment business’ .

As our friend Greta would say - shame on you.

• Haha 1

Some bars in Pattaya still have the ladies checked. I know of one bar that I used to frequent on a regular basis had the room in the back shut down quite frequently as the doctor was there checking the ladies.  

• Like 1

The death of the "Pretty" and what ever else happened to her whilst she was unconsious is exceptionally sad, but for parliament to legislate on this one incident is rediculous and Thailand being Thailand, the organisers will completely ignore it.  Someone trying to make a name for themselves on the back of someone elses tragedy methinks!

• Like 2

Control control control, dont worry about regulation just bring to justice those willing to break the law and punish, not with 5000 baht in the back pocket but 20 years or so if the crime fits it, that is what all other civilised countries do.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Gudge said:

Some bars in Pattaya still have the ladies checked. I know of one bar that I used to frequent on a regular basis had the room in the back shut down quite frequently as the doctor was there checking the ladies.  

I know another place where the owner knew at least one of "his" girls had aids. She continued to work there - until she died.

23 minutes ago, kevin612 said:

Pretties make a lot of money from these activities, therefore it is a high risk job. This is call equivalent exchange.

And pretties includes both girls and boys. I've had both male and female students in bachelor degree programs who have either openly revealed their 'job' details and/or been discovered and lots of gossip and many others become aware of their 'job'. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wisperone said:

Upset this apple cart and you will see the farang depart like no visa restriction could ever do. It will show the real reason why expats retire here.

So, what your saying is keeping the farang men happy is more important than protection for vulnerable women who are in this business.  Entitled much?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, siamsev said:
8 hours ago, wisperone said:

Upset this apple cart and you will see the farang depart like no visa restriction could ever do. It will show the real reason why expats retire here.

So, what your saying is keeping the farang men happy is more important than protection for vulnerable women who are in this business.  Entitled much?

I think you both are mistaken if you believe these pretties deal with foreigners.

I would say almost exclusively Thai customers.The article is not talking about bargirls.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

These service workers may be required to register with officials, for example, so that the working women – whether pretties, entertainers or coyotes – are legally protected.

And taxed. Big daddy government always wants a cut.