Shock At Post Office.

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here goes. I went to the post office to post a letter with only one sheet of paper by EMS.

The letter is to go to the UK. I was asked for 1.400Bt for this. I have never posted an EMS to the UK, so can anyone tell me if this is normal?

I ended sending it by normal post and it cost 18Bt. Thanks.

• Like 1

Pricing from here seems over the top

A month ago i ordered an electronic servo from UK

Parcelforce /EMS  arrived in 4 days postage cost 12GBP (450THB)

Oh from here i now use registered airmail not much slower and trackable about 100THB ish

Edited by poohy

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

You should have sent it as airmail registered.

Would have cost you 98 Baht and is traceable and won't take exceptionally longer.

I hope the 18 Baht is at least by air, otherwise expect arrival around Christmas :tongue:.

From the price it sounds like airmail of about 11 grams.

You should have sent it as airmail registered.  Thanks, I wish I had known that, but still !.400 Bt????

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

You should have sent it as airmail registered.  Thanks, I wish I had known that, but still !.400 Bt????

I had edited my post in between. 108 is reasonable.

These EMS cost has risen dramatically some x years ago.

As far as I know such prices are based on international agreements?

Not a big range for the national post organizations.

Domestic EMS for such weight is about 3x Baht.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here goes. I went to the post office to post a letter with only one sheet of paper by EMS.

The letter is to go to the UK. I was asked for 1.400Bt for this. I have never posted an SMS to the UK, so can anyone tell me if this is normal?

I ended sending it by normal post and it cost 18Bt. Thanks.

Got the same price (and then 150 baht discount) from post office in Chaeng Watthana government building when I had to send a document to Europe. So rip off or not, the price they quoted you was about right. And makes DHL look cheap.

On the flip side - paper arrived in 4 days. I have sent with regular post before - took 3-4 weeks and quite a few got lost, so no choice if it's important.

22 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Got the same price (and then 150 baht discount) from post office in Chaeng Watthana government building when I had to send a document to Europe. So rip off or not, the price they quoted you was about right. And makes DHL look cheap.

On the flip side - paper arrived in 4 days. I have sent with regular post before - took 3-4 weeks and quite a few got lost, so no choice if it's important.

KhunBENQ got it right, I should have said Airmail Registered. But the teller should have offered that, but

when does the average Thai use any common sense?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

You should have sent it as airmail registered.

(01-Int'l Registered-General)

Would have cost you 18+85 = 103 Baht and is traceable and won't take exceptionally longer.

I hope the 18 Baht is at least by air, otherwise expect arrival around Christmas :tongue:.

From the price it sounds like airmail of about 11 grams.

Guess what, I had already tried to send it by fax in a local place I had used before, and the guy just said "no".

41 minutes ago, poohy said:

Pricing from here seems over the top

A month ago i ordered an electronic servo from UK

Parcelforce /EMS  arrived in 4 days postage cost 12GBP (450THB)

Oh from here i now use registered airmail not much slower and trackable about 100THB ish

Yes, KhunBENQ said that, I will do that the next time.

3 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

so, you asked for a specific service, and received it, at published rates and the thai lacks commonsense?

how much more difficult would it have been to ask to compare services?

He could have offered Registered Airmail. If a customer comes to you and asks for a service, and it is not suitable, then, if possible, you offer an alternative, if you do not have the common sense to

do that, you should not be in the job.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

He could have offered Registered Airmail. If a customer comes to you and asks for a service, and it is not suitable, then, if possible, you offer an alternative, if you do not have the common sense to

Or the customer could ask on their friendly and helpful expat forum first.

:WPFflags:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

The letter is to go to the UK. I was asked for 1.400Bt for this.

Thats the full monty.

The same package, EMS, registered, signed for, with tracking number, BUT NOT INSURED would have been less than 200 TB.

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

Anything EMS to U.K is ridiculous 

I posted some rose petals, for making tea, to my Mum. They were lighter than helium and it cost me nearly 2000 baht !! They only cost 300baht to buy ????

See above.

I send every 2 months, and have done for years, EMS, registered, signed for, and tracked, BUT NOT INSURED (you must state this clearly at the counter - otherwise they will say 1400 TB), 6 x 40 gram packets (total 240 grams) of Thai rolling tobacco, price is anywhere between 230-280 TB total.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That is the fee shown on the Thai Post site. https://www.thailandpost.co.th/un/rate_result/?country_code=GB&weight=20

22 EMS World Letter 1400

With insurance. See above.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Or the customer could ask on their friendly and helpful expat forum first.

:WPFflags:

Good point, I always ask about things here on Thaivisa, but I thought that registered post was actually EMS.

registered airmail is only trackable in Thailand in most cases, once it arrives in the country of destination it is up to the local post office if they want to actually enter the tracking information. I used to  send to Australia regularly by registered airmail and once it landed there I got no tracking what so ever, the post office cant even tell you where it is or if it was delivered

Edited by seajae

48 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Why didn't you ask for something cheaper do not rag on the Thai for your own lack of common sense.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Why didn't you ask for something cheaper do not rag on the Thai for your own lack of common sense.

I did ask for something cheaper and got the 18Baht stamp. As for common sense, don't accuse someone with

a lack of common sense when you don't have any yourself.

• Haha 1

Out of curiosity, is it a standard practice for the post office to ask for identification in form of passport whenever you send EMS or registered mail domestic and international. I get asked all the times and thought I check if this is normal practice.  

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

KhunBENQ got it right, I should have said Airmail Registered. But the teller should have offered that, but

when does the average Thai use any common sense?

I find as soon as they discover they are dealing with a farang who can speak just enough basic Thai (and not pidgin) to give them half-a-clue of what they really want, their common sense and innate helpfulness can be simply overwhelming.

39 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Out of curiosity, is it a standard practice for the post office to ask for identification in form of passport whenever you send EMS or registered mail domestic and international. I get asked all the times and thought I check if this is normal practice.  

SOP in many countries due to drug trafficking and money laundering..

I sent one page registered mail to the U.S. some months ago. I think it was about 80 baht. It was multiple weeks stuck at Bangkok airport and about a month in U.S. customs. Insane! My understanding is that EMS is much quicker. Why the distinction of registered airmail? I assume letters to UK, US, etc. always go by air.