2 years overstay. Pay 20,000 at airport? or go to Bkk Immigration First ?

A friend has overstayed for 2 years.  (European Passport).

She wants to leave Thailand and go back to Europe to live.

Is it better that she books her one-way flight and pays 20,000 at Suvarnabhumi Airport ?  

or, would it be better for her to go to The Immigration at Chang Wattana and pay it there first ?

If she goes directly to the airport for a one-way flight, because its 2 years overstay, will she likely be detained for questioning and being told-off for a few hours that she will miss her flight?

or do you think the whole thing is the same process as overstaying a few days and just takes 10 mins ?

What is the chance that they may refuse her to leave Thailand and detain her ?

- She got scared because another foreigner told her that recently the Thai Immigration is making people pay MORE than 20,000 baht.  (sometimes a 100,000 baht!!)

I'm sure this is just a made up story, but has anyone else heard about immigration charging MORE than 20,000 ?

She is aware she will get a 3 year ban.  (But she isn't worried about that).

Thank you for your help.

Edited by easybullet3

9 hours ago, daveAustin said:

I'd impress on her to book flight asap and don't do anything to catch the eye of the police, such as riding a bike without a helmet.

That's good advice, generally speaking, but after she has managed to stay on overstay for 2 years undetected by the inept plod, it might come a bit late? ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, daveAustin said:

I'd impress on her to book flight asap and don't do anything to catch the eye of the police, such as riding a bike without a helmet.

she has made it two years already.. im sure she has figured that out.

but yes, airport, early, with cash.

do not present at chaeng wattana

Edited by metempsychotic

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes, shift the blame from her to them.  

Her overstay is on her and that will be dealt with when she leaves. I have no desire/intention to "blame" her, now that she has decided to rectify her wrongdoing.

Thailand having as many overstayers as they have as well as countless other issues due to a complete lack of professional policing is a related, unresolved matter. Blame for that doesn't need to be shifted: It is, quite naturally, the inept plod and those who oversee Thailand's police farce who are to blame for this.

I hope that clarifies things.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

cant imagine why anyone would require either of your opinions, let alone your sympathy. 

Tropposurfer said NO sympathy.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, metempsychotic said:
4 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

f she can;tr pay the fine they levy on her at immigration right there and then she will be refused permission to board the plane ... simple as that. Two years overstay! No sympathy from me. 

4 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

EXACTLY

cant imagine why anyone would require either of your opinions, let alone your sympathy. 

No sympathy here, its people like her that have made unwarranted problems for us that stay here LEGALLY ! 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
16 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Why? they don't check your passport

But they can ask to see it, as you are supposed to carry it all the time. If that happens she may need to have an extra few hundred baht, just in case.

But they can ask to see it, as you are supposed to carry it all the time. If that happens she may need to have an extra few hundred baht, just in case.

if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

I've been stopped 12 times the last 2 years, not once have they asked for a passport