Video: Restaurant daylight robbery by men on motorcycle

webfact

Video: Restaurant daylight robbery by men on motorcycle

4pm_VI.jpg

Thai caption: Warning to the public

A CCTV video posted to Facebook showed a group of people eating at a restaurant just off the road. 

A man on a motorcycle in full face helmet approaches the table and grabs a handbag belonging to one of the diners and races off. 

A man at the table is unable to stop the getaway.

Naew Na said that the clip - a 30 second video on the page of Aphiwat Cheewana - was a warning to the public. 

There was no mention in their brief report about where the robbery took place. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-08

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not seen the latest one on Thai Visa yet of the Norwegian (I believe) eating in a bar in Udon and getting his bag snatched from a motorcyclist. 

Was on on the TV news channels.

Seems rife at the moment. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

My impression over the years is that there is surprisingly little petty crime in Chiang Mai. That probably makes us less careful than we should be. When traveling abroad with my Chiang Mai friends, I have to keep telling them to pull their handbags to the front and generally be more wary than they would be at home.

Having said that, I don't understand why people carry so much money and so many valuables around anyway. Okay, I understand the need for a good phone, but gold jewelry strikes me as asking for trouble.

As I see it, you should carry as little as money possible. Pay for most things by card or withdraw money when you need it, there is almost always an ATM around.

I am surprised that more newly-arrived tourists are not targeted by thieves for the 20K they are forced to carry in cash. Seems like something that could become rampant if the economy continues to worsen.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, kevin612 said:

Video date was on 2/28 this year, the robber is probably arrested.

I take it that you’ve just arrived in Thailand @kevin612? Or was it meant as a joke? If It was an intent to make a serious comment about ‘the robber is probably arrested’, you really should learn the way of Thailand and the police actions. The police will do very little, if anything to even try to find this criminal as it would mean that they have to get up and do some police work to find him/her. However, now that it’s been made public aware and on social media, maybe, just maybe, they might look in to it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Considering it all Thailand is still very safe compared to some of the countries around up. Yes they will grab your stuff but it just doesn't happen that often. I am safer here then in my home town in the states.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Maybe it's just me but Thailand is worse than Nigeria. At least in Nigeria they have Mopos and they don't mess around your going to another world doing this. I really agree 100% with middle eastern countries where if your caught steeling your hand is cut off.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

I use a very old mobile phone, carry little cash and don't wear jewellery except my wedding ring and even I can't get that off. If I'm travelling and someone wants to steal an old backpack full of my dirty grundies, they are more than welcome to them, in fact my wife would be delighted because she is always banging on at me to buy some new clothes.

In these circumstances it wouldn't surprise me if someone has scoped out the victim and they know that he carries an expensive laptop or camera in the bag, otherwise they are risking prison for something that could have little or no value.

• Like 1