How to value a car?

ryanhull

Hi All,

I was wondering if Thailand has some sort of car book price? essentially I am looking to sell a honda city 2007 with 80k on the clock for 150k, some locals I know have said thats a steal but I see others on facebook selling the same for around the same price, I will also shortly be selling my mrs car too (suzuki swift) 

if I was in the UK I would be able to value it using the parkers guide etc, just wondering how one would go about getting the rough value of a car here? I guess I can just look at other sales and work out a price but cars have different millages and other factors to take into consideration, can anyone help point me in the right direction? thanks

Brand, age and odometer determines price, here and everywhere else. The figures the OP has quoted seem to be right for the price he is asking.

I think most farangs here prefer to buy from other farangs, due to the Asian reputation w.r.to regular maintenance. Some of that is undeserved, some is fully justified.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Brand, age and odometer determines price, here and everywhere else. The figures the OP has quoted seem to be right for the price he is asking.

I think most farangs here prefer to buy from other farangs, due to the Asian reputation w.r.to regular maintenance. Some of that is undeserved, some is fully justified.

No it's not......

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You've succeeded in confusing me, perhaps you could elaborate.

Brand, age and Km on the clock does not determine car value in LOS...Brand does to a point, but nothing else...

OP, I found Roojai insurance total loss valuation quotes give a very good ball park..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, transam said:
6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You've succeeded in confusing me, perhaps you could elaborate.

Brand, age and Km on the clock does not determine car value in LOS...Brand does to a point, but nothing else...

OP, I found Roojai insurance total loss valuation quotes give a very good ball park..

Trans.. you've now succeeded in confusing me.

Brand, age and Km does not determine car value in LOS... what does then?

I would argue quite the opposite, that Brand, age and KM, also Model spec are the very things which determine value here. I'm left wondering if I have missed your point completely ???

• Like 2

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Trans.. you've now succeeded in confusing me.

Brand, age and Km does not determine car value in LOS... what does then?

I would argue quite the opposite, that Brand, age and KM, also Model spec are the very things which determine value here. I'm left wondering if I have missed your point completely ???

Weeeeel, as you know we all on here have complained about the prices of second hand cars in LOS, which is totally true. Some rides we know the daft tax addition with foreign motors plays a part, but I have seen sheds with daft for sale prices. Back home they would be near scrap..

Last year we were looking for a small s/h runaround, went round all the well known places to be amazed at what they were asking. I recall a Vios with 300,000+ Km was around the price as similar lower Km rides...

Last year I sold my 2007 Vigo for 370,000bht, I was asking 390,000bht...Now I thought that was a lot of money for a 11+ year old truck...

On my trips to the USA (many years back) I was astonished at how cheap s/h cars were, perhaps that has changed now...

PS. When I was selling the Vigo on social media, we had calls from I assume tents, they never asked about its condition or Km on the clock, and strangely they all offered near the same amount without even seeing it, just going by the photos...They knew what they were going to resell it for...

Edited by transam

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

So a 2010 Toyota will be the same price as a 2018? Something with 30,000 km is the same as 200,000 km? What have you been smoking lately?

I don't smoke, but I have lived here a long time....????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Weeeeel, as you know we all on here have complained about the prices of second hand cars in LOS, which is totally true. Some rides we know the daft tax addition with foreign motors plays a part, but I have seen sheds with daft for sale prices. Back home they would be near scrap..

Last year we were looking for a small s/h runaround, went round all the well known places to be amazed at what they were asking. I recall a Vios with 300,000+ Km was around the price as similar lower Km rides...

Last year I sold my 2007 Vigo for 370,000bht, I was asking 390,000bht...Now I thought that was a lot of money for a 11+ year old truck...

On my trips to the USA (many years back) I was astonished at how cheap s/h cars were, perhaps that has changed now...

PS. When I was selling the Vigo on social media, we had calls from I assume tents, they never asked about its condition or Km on the clock, and strangely they all offered near the same amount without even seeing it, just going by the photos...They knew what they were going to resell it for...

Perhaps you were looking in the wrong places. I was shopping for a secondhand Vios a few years ago. Went to the secondhand ToyotaSure outlet in Chiang Mai, and the prices, while much higher than one would get in Oz or the USA, were in line with age, odometer and the amount of fruit salad. ToyotaSure lower limit in that category was about 320K baht, nothing over 150 K on the odometers from memory.

Finished up buying a Vios from a Brit who was upgrading to a Ford Focus. Given its reliability since I bought it, I sometimes wonder if he regretted the move.

Dozens of car yards in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai where the inventory never seems to change.

when we traded in our 4 year old vios I wanted 400,000 at least(cost was just over 600,000 new), they said because it was a manual it was worth less because manuals dont sell well in Thailand, they offered 360,000. I refused so they started offering extras on the new pick up, till I was satisfied. There was a couple sitting across from us all the while and as soon as we signed the contacts they were given our vios keys, the car had been pre sold, it was in mint condition with low klms too, always wondered what they paid for it

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Perhaps you were looking in the wrong places. I was shopping for a secondhand Vios a few years ago. Went to the secondhand ToyotaSure outlet in Chiang Mai, and the prices, while much higher than one would get in Oz or the USA, were in line with age, odometer and the amount of fruit salad. ToyotaSure lower limit in that category was about 320K baht, nothing over 150 K on the odometers from memory.

Finished up buying a Vios from a Brit who was upgrading to a Ford Focus. Given its reliability since I bought it, I sometimes wonder if he regretted the move.

Dozens of car yards in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai where the inventory never seems to change.

The 300,000+ Km ride was at SURE where I live....????

HOT TIP re cars real value .....

Has nobody yet realised that a lot of car dealers here are winding back the cars odometers? People think it can’t be done with modern cars, WRONG.. check it on YouTube, it’s not that difficult for an automotive hacker to do. Always insist to see the proper car manufacturers Service Record book and if it’s missing or not filled in and stamped by an authorised agent of that particular car, move on.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 6:19 PM, JAS21 said:

There is a Facebook website, secondhand cars for sale in Thailand. 

You might get an idea from that website LOL 

Hello, I actually own that group heh, started it years back but never expected it to take off 

7 hours ago, ryanhull said:

Hello, I actually own that group heh, started it years back but never expected it to take off 

I know... that was the LOL bit .....You asking how much your car is worth and the website saying ....We buy any car...it just amused me.   LOL again

Edited by JAS21
  • Haha 1