Comparing Philippines and Thailand

EricTh

Vlogging as a job and lifestyle.  Great if you are his age. 

I am at least twice his age, so some places or activities would not be for me. 

Also many popular vloggers never show beggars, mention crime, or any real problems in traveling .

I think they are likely  "priming" the pot with the people in some videos before they start filming also.

Great video though no traveller would be able to see all these things on a 2-4 week holiday, as he said over 2 years travelling to make this one video

Many people watch Youtubers like these because it fulfills their dream of places they cannot afford or have the time to visit.  Great for him and great for the viewers, so win win 

No one reads books anymore, so these videos are the standard in travel guides now I would assume.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As for the OP, I'd suggest Vietnam, as that's where all the young western folk, not interested in prostitution are going now. Much better scenery and places to visit than Thailand or the Philippines.

not for those with specific skin color though

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Mugged twice in Manila on short visits, never once anywhere in Thailand in over 30 years.

EXACTLY........in my humble opinion.......Phils is significantly more dangerous than Thailand and if you think the police dont enforce here.......go to Phils.......they do NOTHING.

There is places in Phils that even Filipinos wont go.......like Mindanao.

Granted this can happen anywhere......including here.......my friend arrived, put his things in hotel room and went out front.......deciding whether to go left or right..........within 30 seconds motorbike ripped his chain off.

Another friend going to airport to fly back to Thailand.........him and his Flip wife........had bags n backpack beside them on sidewalk.......backpack grabbed..........had wallet, all cards, passport......EVERYTHING in backpack......GONE~!!
Places in Manila you can get killed with many watching during daylight........no one saw anything.

is that where you want to live?.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

EXACTLY........in my humble opinion.......Phils is significantly more dangerous than Thailand and if you think the police dont enforce here.......go to Phils.......they do NOTHING.

There is places in Phils that even Filipinos wont go.......like Mindanao.

Granted this can happen anywhere......including here.......my friend arrived, put his things in hotel room and went out front.......deciding whether to go left or right..........within 30 seconds motorbike ripped his chain off.

Another friend going to airport to fly back to Thailand.........him and his Flip wife........had bags n backpack beside them on sidewalk.......backpack grabbed..........had wallet, all cards, passport......EVERYTHING in backpack......GONE~!!
Places in Manila you can get killed with many watching during daylight........no one saw anything.

is that where you want to live?.

Good Lord, are you sure you should be traveling at all?

Obviously a mega-city such as Manila is going to have problems - any city with 14m people is going to have crime reports every day - but there is so much more to the country than Manila.

Writing off Mindanao is particularly hysterical. It is a massive island, with 27 provinces and 33 cities. Only a few provinces in the West are affected by the periodic Islam insurgency, but most European countries will have the same problem soon enough.

I would challenge anyone to find a major city in S.E. Asia that feels as well-managed and safe as Davao while allowing a good lifestyle on very little money. Singapore is obviously more advanced but very few of us could afford to live the life we want there.

In a sense, the problems in the West have a silver lining because they have kept away clueless tourists away Mindanao in general, keeping prices reasonable for those of us who have grasped the concept of distance.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Mugged twice in Manila on short visits, never once anywhere in Thailand in over 30 years.

I thought he said Filipinos are more friendly than Thais?

How did they mug you?

3 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

A very good who friend who lived in our condo went to live there and was back in 2 weeks ! Home invasion , tied up with a knife to his throat. 

Edited by madmen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

>> 556,681 views on a video promoting to visit the Philippines and not Thailand.

so does that mean you are moving 

No. I am mainly interested in the influence of social media. I think the influence this boy has on travelling and destinations is for example much bigger than TAT...

• Like 1

PH all the way

I agree with the comfort because Philippines is a country of 7641 islands. That makes it incredibly difficult and expensive to create infrastructure. They also get way more difficulties from typhoons etc which destroys what they built.

Food? Filipino food is not good, but Thai food is not good in Thailand too. I don't like to eat chemicals and 20 grams of sugar in each meal. Thai food in western countries is great. At the same time if you want western food then PH wins all the way. Much cheaper and better quality. Only Pattaya is on par, due to the competition and demand. But Philippines has it even on small islands.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, donnacha said:

Phils actually has better food than many countries, but we are spoiled by just how astonishingly good Thailand and Vietnam are.

Really?

I guess that depends on your tolerability of poor quality food. To each their own.

8 minutes ago, wisperone said:

Really?

I guess that depends on your tolerability of poor quality food. To each their own.

Why argue about food? It's very subjective ... it's always each to their own. And the quality of Thai food is also very often very questionable, many times.

Thai food is great, but honestly, after a few years, I don't know what take or buy anymore when walking through the markets ... maybe just me personally. 

... there are times I'm happy the Pizza Company started to deliver to my house ????

I definitely need the balance.

Edited by RedPill

16 minutes ago, RedPill said:
22 minutes ago, wisperone said:

Really?

Why argue about food? It's very subjective ... it's always each to their own. And the quality of Thai food is also very often very questionable, many times.

Thai food is great, but honestly, after a few years, I don't know what take or buy anymore when walking through the markets ... maybe just me personally. 

... there are times I'm happy the Pizza Company started to deliver to my house ????

I definitely need the balance.

You contradict yourself.