Baht Weakens Against Us Dollar

george

I wonder if the local shops are still charging local thai baht prices at the "home" currency of your credit card (be it USD, GBP, EUR etc.) using the lower off-shore conversion rates. The sales receipts clearly states that you're giving the option of having the price charged either in thai baht or in the currency of your credit card. However, a number of retailers seem to prefer the latter and wouldn't "understand" your insistance on the former. :o

Any thoughts or recent updates on this, gentlemen (& ladies)?

Edited by j_cheung

However, a number of retailers seem to prefer the latter and wouldn't "understand" your insistance on the former.

Several threads on this subject (Dynamic Currency Conversion, or DCC). My experience required that I talk to a manager, as the checkout girls (Rimping Supermarket and Home Pro in Chiang Mai) either didn't understand me, or weren't versed in how to use the DCC override button. I've had no further problems at these places when I mention 'I want Thai Baht, understand?' when I hand them my plastic.

Huge ripoff, but very lucrative for the merchant and servicing bank. I have yet to hear about any customer that's come out ahead with DCC, even long before the current onshore/offshore divide.