I like my job, can I work here until I drop?

I remember reading a book which strongly supported working for as long as one is physically and mentally capable. The statistics say people who work longer, live longer.

Having said that, it makes no sense to try to put in the same hours as a twenty year old. If possible, the OP should try to reduce the hours he works to his own comfort level.

• Like 1

Hi,

Well you mentioned that your here for 20 years and looking for options to continue living in thailand... Im kind of surprised that your still not a thai citizen. Because obviously its in your options. You can do that. If you do thatas a thai citizen in thailand you can continue working even after retirement. It seems to me as the best option tbh.

Another option is your wife can hire you as an adviser no age limit.

Why you cannot work in thailand with your WP for life time. Well, because you are not thai citizen and your occupying other thai citizen work place. Its time for you to stop. Thats what they say.

About WP age... i do believe for some works theres a age restriction.. about 55 or 60

wishing you the best ????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

I kinda let old age creep up on me. I didn't pay attention to it, didn't really think about it, and now I'm 64! ????  

I'm looking seriously into Thai citizenship.  There is a ton of info online about it, but a lot of it doesn't match. A 'well-connected' Thai friend was looking into it for me and came up with a whole list of requirements that don't match most of what's online.

I'm going to see professional advice on this soon. I should have done this a long time ago... oh well. 

1 hour ago, Denim said:

If you have Thai social security can you choose to use it at any hospital , including private , of your choice or only government hospitals ?

I live in Phuket. Only government hospitals deal with Thai SS.  There are two hospitals that accept SS... one really good one and one fairly bad one.  The really good one is at the end of my street. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I remember reading a book which strongly supported working for as long as one is physically and mentally capable. The statistics say people who work longer, live longer.

Having said that, it makes no sense to try to put in the same hours as a twenty year old. If possible, the OP should try to reduce the hours he works to his own comfort level.

Yes, I read that a while ago too... makes sense actually. If you keep your mind and body active, both should stay in better shape than if you don't.  I have a very easy job and I've already cut way back on the amount that I work. I really love what I'm doing. I see no reason to quit... voluntarily. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

If you have Thai social security can you choose to use it at any hospital , including private , of your choice or only government hospitals ?

It's depend the province you are living. Some of them have much more choice than other.

In Nakorn Pathom province where i live and work i have access to only 3 gov hospital and 1 private, a dependancy of a more  expensive 's one.

I choose to register at the private and have no complain  for years and years. (I also can have treatment in some clinic registered with the SS for little  problems). Ever had operation there and all the cost were covered by SS, except the single room i have to  pay the difference with the common. My wife had a little accident and needed hospitalization in the same hospital and it was okay for her too.

Ask to look for the list of avaible hospital where you are.

Edited by Rv Hawee
precisions
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, hanssna said:

Thanks for this Post, Galong. It's nice to read something so positive again on TV, instead of all the negative posts and remarks about Thailand that are common here. Myself, I've been here almost 20 years as well, also a long time in the SS (pakkhan san khom) and I love my work in the tour industry and my own small business. 53 now, so I'm not looking for retirement yet. 

Too bad that some posters are reacting in a cynical way again, but that's to be expected here on TV. Good luck to you in the future. 

I haven't posted anything here in many years because no matter what you ask, someone says something negative... oh well. There have been some useful comment here as well, so that's nice.

I know I should have started thinking about options a long, long time ago, but I'm enjoying life so much that time just caught up with me. I'm just realizing that I'm old. 555

I have plenty of options I'm sure. I'm by no means wealthy, but as an absolute last resort, I 'could' go the Thai Elite Visa option fairly easily.  That would hurt the wallet, but it would teach me to plan better. ????

Cheers

18 hours ago, Galong said:

Yes, I read that a while ago too... makes sense actually. If you keep your mind and body active, both should stay in better shape than if you don't.  I have a very easy job and I've already cut way back on the amount that I work. I really love what I'm doing. I see no reason to quit... voluntarily. ????

All I can say is Good Luck. I sincerely hope you enjoy doing what you are doing for many years to come. People like you will have no trouble staying here with the right permit or otherwise, Thai Citizenship, PR or a retirement permit.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

All I can say is Good Luck. I sincerely hope you enjoy doing what you are doing for many years to come. People like you will have no trouble staying here with the right permit or otherwise, Thai Citizenship, PR or a retirement permit.

Thanks!!!  I'm not overly worried about it as I've got a solid work record, pay a lot of taxes (never complained about taxes... I think they're fair), and I employ quite a few Thais. I've also got some wonderful connections... which help in any country.  It's folks who like what our company does for the Kingdom mainly, nothing more than that.

In all likelihood, I'll work as long as I can, then go the (married) retirement extension.

Much thanks. ???? 

Keep on doing the thing you enjoy. I have several work collegues still going strong (and bringing very valuable input) well into their 70s. One has "retired" at least 3 times, become bored, asked around, been offered a short contract and off he goes.

I hope that I'm as valuable to potential payers when I get to that age.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Keep on doing the thing you enjoy. I have several work collegues still going strong (and bringing very valuable input) well into their 70s. One has "retired" at least 3 times, become bored, asked around, been offered a short contract and off he goes.

I hope that I'm as valuable to potential payers when I get to that age.

my job is main marketing, so I do that from home and work when I feel like working... couldn't get any easier.   It does keep me researching SEO and social media, so it keeps the mental juices flowing around.  Yep, I think I'd get bored being fully retired too. 

So, my REAL question was merely to ask if there is an age limit on Thai Work Permits.  I got a bit long-winded in saying that.  It seems, by all accounts, that the answer is a resounding... NOPE... work as long as want. ????

Cheers

Edited by Galong

19 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

There is no country in the world where a self employed person, running their own business must quit due to age factors. Any genuine self employed business man would know this. I question the veracity and sincerity of the OP's inquiry.

Hmmmm no country.....China?

3FCBA817-4F2F-4F0B-A517-4435B1163819.jpeg

• Thanks 1

When I lived in Laughlin Nevada, I noticed a lot of very old guys, like 75+, whose entire lives revolved around sitting at the race book all day and betting a couple bucks per race.  All had decent pensions and enjoyed living in a low COL area.  Certainly would be better than the various <deleted> 9to5 jobs most had done, and as a group, they seemed to do better than most retirees I have encountered. 

Edited by moontang