"We've only just begun" - Big Oud's get tough message for law breaking foreigners

webfact

One thing I am dirty about is the insinuation that poor foreigners use the buses which somehow is the wrong thing to do.   Give me a break! In my case I have never got a free bus ride and I use the buses and BTS whenever in Bangkok.   Sometimes I use a taxi but I don't intend to get ripped off by greedy drivers.  The Saturday before last 7:00 in the morning at Sukhumvit Soi 9 we were wanting to go to Mochit and every driver wanted 300 baht or more.  It's a 140baht trip plus toll.  We took the BTS and the 77 bus which cost 108 baht for both and an extra 15 minutes. Would have taken a taxi if the meter was turned on.  I see nothing wrong with taking the bus. 

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pride comes before a fall, remember your predecessor, what a long fall that was. When Roman emperors had a victory parade in Rome it was customary for him to have a whisperer standing behind him saying,"remember you are only human." You are only one foot shot away from reality.

34 minutes ago, taxin said:

I am not talking about a few hi-so Thais in Bangkok shifting a few million, we are talking about a much larger scale, people with a license to print money. I use the words "Thai elites" very carefully, as I dont want to break any rules here and get a warning.

it could be as large of a scale that you want, but that doesn't change the point that you got the conspiracy wrong.  printing lots of THB and shifting it into GBP and Euros would have weakened the THB (it is strengthening).  when the elites then "bring their money back when the whole thing crashes" (or something like that, sorry if i didn't get the quote quite right), then the THB will strengthen (you seem to suggest that it will weaken).

4 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

One thing I am dirty about is the insinuation that poor foreigners use the buses which somehow is the wrong thing to do.   Give me a break! In my case I have never got a free bus ride and I use the buses and BTS whenever in Bangkok.   Sometimes I use a taxi but I don't intend to get ripped off by greedy drivers.  The Saturday before last 7:00 in the morning at Sukhumvit Soi 9 we were wanting to go to Mochit and every driver wanted 300 baht or more.  It's a 140baht trip plus toll.  We took the BTS and the 77 bus which cost 108 baht for both and an extra 15 minutes. Would have taken a taxi if the meter was turned on.  I see nothing wrong with taking the bus. 

Ikea's founder Ingvar Kamprad net worth 58 billion usd; some interesting facts

#Even though he had a car, Kamprad often used the bus. In fact, he was once refused entry into a gala because he had arrived on the bus. He had to attend the event to receive a ‘businessman of the year’ award. Kamprad also only flew economy class and would buy his clothes at flea markets.

#For nearly two decades, Kamprad drove a 1993 Volvo 240 GL. He only decided to part with it once someone told him that it was too dangerous to drive. He bought the car for around $22,000 and was quoted saying, “She is nearly new, just 15 years old, or something like that.”

#Although his work took him to different parts of the world, instead of indulging in fi ne restaurants, Kamprad would often drop into a nearby Ikea to enjoy a $4 plate of Swedish meatballs, lingonberry jam, and mashed potatoes. And he would take home salt and pepper packets.

#At Ikea, his employees were reportedly told off if they didn’t use both sides of a sheet of paper. And it didn’t go down too well if anyone would leave the lights on when leaving a room.

On 10/30/2019 at 1:33 PM, bangkokequity said:

The Thai Baht is "strong" ... which means its exports are "more expensive" so demand for them falls ... its real estate is "more expensive" for foreigner investors (about 20% change over the past few years!)... and the exchange rate give tourists less spending power ... again "more expensive."  Do I really need to explain this to an "expert" like you?  

Agree it’s definitely not rocket science 

14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

and have fancy named ranks.

Peter Dutton has kicked out 250 bikie gang members non citizens out of Australia over the last two years. 

Dont think they all went back to NZ and Lebanon.

Big O watch out there are more on the way.

On 10/30/2019 at 5:00 AM, Dmaxdan said:

Maybe he should start with the corrupt Thai visa agents who get "back door" extensions for expats who don't have enough funds.

Gee what a sad life some people lead....

Wishing ill on other people.

One should plan for the current requirements to quadruple as they have in the last 2 decades (200k to the now 800K).  Also remember before the crash of the 1990s the dollar hovered in the early 20s to the Baht for almost 15 to 20 years. I'm still young enough to plan for these eventualities.  I hope everyone else has and is taking this into consideration.

For most Europeans Spain is now a more financially viable retirement option both in property prices and cost of living terms.

Something about casting the first stone springs to mind when I read some posts 

On 10/30/2019 at 9:00 AM, Dmaxdan said:

Maybe he should start with the corrupt Thai visa agents who get "back door" extensions for expats who don't have enough funds.

OH right. Such criminals! HOW DARE they spend money here in Thailand! 555. You must get dizzy in that very high ivory tower. 

48 minutes ago, Bournville said:

OH right. Such criminals! HOW DARE they spend money here in Thailand! 555. You must get dizzy in that very high ivory tower. 

How dare the government pretend to have a war on corruption when they let state officers fill their pockets with millions of baht over a few years by taking illegal bribes from foreigners too poor to be really here?

On 10/30/2019 at 10:47 PM, FritsSikkink said:

They don't mess around with tourists, just the people who live and work here on tourist and ED visas. 

Yes there are allot of people working on wrong visas

Immigration  have checked on places and paper work been fine and left

I did here that people  that have opened ip holding companies  to own houses might become  stricter which is a  big  mistake.

Property  market is a big tax income 

Buying a company  to own what is yours is a loophole

If foreigners  could own small amounts  of land and houses in some zones then there would  be no need for these  holding complanies and house prices shall shoot up

Right  now only people who can own a luxury  villa is a thai and how many  thais are there lining up yo buy  luxury villas?

On 11/2/2019 at 6:11 PM, maprao said:

Gee what a sad life some people lead....

Wishing ill on other people.

One should plan for the current requirements to quadruple as they have in the last 2 decades (200k to the now 800K).  Also remember before the crash of the 1990s the dollar hovered in the early 20s to the Baht for almost 15 to 20 years. I'm still young enough to plan for these eventualities.  I hope everyone else has and is taking this into consideration.

For most Europeans Spain is now a more financially viable retirement option both in property prices and cost of living terms.

Something about casting the first stone springs to mind when I read some posts 

Intteresting one, can you quote some specific Spanish prices to illustrate this?

Thanks.

Archived