Swedes use ropes, towels to save Briton who lost foot to shark in Australia

snoop1130

Swedes use ropes, towels to save Briton who lost foot to shark in Australia

254.JPG

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - A Swedish couple on holiday in Australia were hailed for saving a British man whose foot was bitten off and another who was injured in a shark attack off a popular tourist beach.

Billy Ludvigsson, an ambulance nurse, and Emma Andersson, an emergency room nurse, were on a snorkeling trip off the Whitsunday Islands on Tuesday, when they heard screams as they were climbing back into their boat.

When the two injured men were brought aboard, the couple jumped into action, making a tourniquet from ropes and towels for the man whose foot was bitten off.

“The bleeding was severe, life-threatening at first,” Ludvigsson told reporters on Wednesday.

“I think we might have actually saved his life.”

The duo said the injured men, Alistair Raddon and Danny Maggs, were “really cool” and cracking jokes as the boat sped back to shore.

“He was in pain of course, but he was amazing,” Ludvigsson said of Raddon, who had lost his foot.

Raddon and Maggs were out of surgery and recovering on Wednesday.

“We have been advised they are in good spirits,” Tourism Whitsundays Chief Executive Tash Wheeler said in a statement.

After five shark attacks in the Whitsundays over the past year, including one death, the tourism body has urged immediate government funding for daily air surveillance in specific bays to watch out for sharks.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-30
  • Like 2

Shades of "The Beach", except in the movie it was the Swedes that got bitten.

Why should the government pay for observation flights? The sharks are at home, and perhaps humans should stop invading their space. OR, why don't the locals pay to construct safe swimming spots behind shark nets.

Anyway, it's not the government's money. It's money from other Australians, many of which will never go there.

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

This is a known shark area. Divers need to be aware of the risk.

I worked in the whitsundays from 1980 to 1985 and continue to visit. It has never been known as a shark area.

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes. Some signs saying that "if you choose to swim there and get eaten it's your own fault" might help.

Man is invading the shark's territory. They should be careful as the inhabitants might take revenge for all the millions of sharks killed by humans.

The signs are only an indication of australia nanny state. The sharks  have only been an issue for about 10 years. Something else is happening to cause this upsurge in attacks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sujo said:

I worked in the whitsundays from 1980 to 1985 and continue to visit. It has never been known as a shark area.

Everything changes. Perhaps the sharks are moving from somewhere they were being killed for sport or something.

Whatever, sharks will go wherever they want.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Everything changes. Perhaps the sharks are moving from somewhere they were being killed for sport or something.

True, but that doesnt mean it was a shark problem area, it never was. So something is happening around the area, i dont know if over fishing, doubt thats it but it needs to be studied.

3 minutes ago, Sujo said:

True, but that doesnt mean it was a shark problem area, it never was. So something is happening around the area, i dont know if over fishing, doubt thats it but it needs to be studied.

My guess would be shark feeding to attract them for the money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The duo said the injured men, Alistair Raddon and Danny Maggs, were “really cool” and cracking jokes as the boat sped back to shore.

“He was in pain of course, but he was amazing,” Ludvigsson said of Raddon, who had lost his foot.

Reminds me of Monty Python's Holy Grail .... it's only a foot....

• Haha 1

I have been thinking what was the shark going to do with a foot. It's in water 24/7 for crying out aloud. Then it struck me.

When it manages to take another foot of somebody then it's got two and can come on land and aaaaaahh!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Sujo said:

Because the govt pays for such observation flights in lots of tourist places such as the gold coast. So it stands to reason that an area bringing in so much tourist money that the govt should do what it can to protect them.

Who's money ? the Government ? Nooooo it's the Australians Peoples  Tax money. Let the people who make all the money from the tourists pay, but no that't to much isn't it.

On 10/31/2019 at 6:57 PM, stevenl said:

So if I don't own a car I don't have to pay for the roads? If I don't have kids I don't have to pay for education? If I'm physically able I don't have to pay into any disability fund?

Even people without cars use the roads- how else would they get around?

People that choose not to have kids still need the skills that others learn in school- medical staff, plumbers, mechanics etc.

NO ONE can guarantee they won't need medical care- accidents, cardiac arrest etc.

However, people that CHOOSE to go to somewhere and swim where sharks might eat them shouldn't expect those that never go there to pay for something that is ONLY of significance to that area, and no where else.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 10/31/2019 at 1:46 PM, digger70 said:

Who's money ? the Government ? Nooooo it's the Australians Peoples  Tax money. Let the people who make all the money from the tourists pay, but no that't to much isn't it.

The money tourists spend the more taxes the locals pay and the more people employed in those areas. Its called social responsibility.

Lifesavers get an amount ftom govt but rely heavily on donations. Most do it for free as a social responsibility. They save many lives.

Im sure you would rather the govt provide nothing and tourists numbers drop because of the dangers of unpatrolled beaches.

Never in my life have i heard anyone complain of taxpayer funds helping to pay for such a thing.

I wonder if vegetarians protest about govt subsidies to cattle farmers. Wouldnt be surprised.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2019 at 8:16 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

More likely the sea lions have been protected for some time increasing the food source. 

Now the sharks are like my protected as well so they are no longer targeted. 

increase the food source and eliminate the only real predator and you see an increase in population. 

just guessing but it has happened elsewhere.