Gulf War veteran, 55, was killed by a single punch from a bouncer in Thailand who claimed he tried to leave go-go bar without paying his bill

snoop1130

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They have a culture and tradition of not expecting any help from the police and resolving their own issues. Quite justified with Thai police. Although there are police and TPA staff positioned there to resolve these situations... this guy went about it the wrong way and came across staff looking to make their evening worthwhile.

Was you there?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Yes, you're nearly there. let me help you:

Do go to Pattaya, do drink in gogo bars but never get too drunk and never argue when drunk. You'll be fine. Oh, and pay your tab.

Yeah just pay the tab,even if it has 16 lady drinks on it you didn,t order.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I've lost count of the times I've been totally legless and managed to get home unscathed and am forever grateful the holes didn't line up for me especially whilst travelling alone and recall the saying "there but for the grace of god go I" or something.Another thing in my favour when frequenting these places of ill repute was that I was with my wife and her bar girl friends and therefore usually protected by the security by ringing the bell and making sure everyone had a good time which to me was more important the a few thousand baht.

It's a terrible thing that occurred and I can find no way to justify the death of this bloke and as for intent I would have thought that to be irrelevant as it wasn't bad luck that threw the punch which was thrown to inflict harm and was a poor choice.

Well said I too have always managed to get home after a good night out in pattaya although it's been a few years since been to a go go bar in WS.

Always pay for drinks when they are served too. 

• Like 2

Looks like a boxing iron may have been used, to cause such severe trauma from just 1 punch from a skinny guy.

Maybe he got a hugely inflated bill, so that could be a reason for not wanting to pay, or maybe not being able to pay. This could explain why he tried to call the police in that case.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, freestyle said:

Looks like a boxing iron may have been used, to cause such severe trauma from just 1 punch from a skinny guy.

Maybe he got a hugely inflated bill, so that could be a reason for not wanting to pay, or maybe not being able to pay. This could explain why he tried to call the police in that case.

Sometimes it's more about the placement of the hit rather than the force.I always think of the movie Thunder bolt and lightfoot where the Jeff Bridges character gets a bump on the back of the head and dies at the end of the movie.

I have been in the Thai guy's shoes as well in the last official basketball game I played the guy fouled me and got called for but as he ran past on my left I hit him with a right cross a he fell like the proverbial sack of and normally I get ping by the refs but this time everybody saw it but the refs and the bench as they were busy recording the foul just about caused and all in I ended up getting off but I self imposed a life ban and never played again.I was nearly always the smallest on the court so I know size matters little.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

1 hour ago, smudger1951 said:

Thanks for your life story, getting back to this case the bouncer was was out of over the top violent. They love it !

1(One) punch is over the top violent? How is 1 bitch slap? what does qualify to be not over the top violent?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Security guard Phumphat Tanosingh was charged with grievous bodily harm for the punch and faced a trial in Thailand.

But he was found not guilty after claiming self-defence - claiming Mike had attempted to leave the Mandarin Agogo bar without paying his bill.

So a Thai can kill, imagine if it was a faring doing this..

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gerritkaew said:

But he was found not guilty after claiming self-defence - claiming Mike had attempted to leave the Mandarin Agogo bar without paying his bill.

So a Thai can kill, imagine if it was a faring doing this..

Well, I think the outcome would have been different if he died on the spot, it would have been a murder.  Remember , he died a year later. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ThailandGuy said:

You do NOT know that. You only see the video from this webcam ! What happend outside its view nobody knows. Nowing the Thai they will just say nothing happened. But i bet they pushed him around. We will never know unless there is a video of somebody else phone or streetcam !

What happened inside?who knows,cctvs  have a strange trait of malfunctioning in these type of incidents.

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Tourism is doing fine and the Chinese spend more per day than any other nationality. Yes, there is less Western sex tourism.

You are missing one important element. While it is true that the Chinese spend more on average, Thailand cannot and does not attract the upper end of that spectrum. While they are in Paris, Singapore and London they spend alot. The vast majority who visit Thailand come on $400 tours. They are Cheap Charlie's. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2019 at 8:49 PM, donnacha said:

That he tried calling 911 just minutes before the attack suggests that he was the victim of a billing scam. As certain parts of their tourism industry collapse, desperate bars seem to be resorting to this stuff more frequently, and asking for evermore ridiculous amounts.

These thugs are a tiny minority that ruin it for the vast majority of decent people. Sadly, in Thailand, the entire society is structured along those lines too.

I no longer expect any common sense from the authorities in Thailand, but a smart country that did not take its tourism industry for granted would crack down hard on this stuff. Each of these reports in the victims' home countries sends a deeply negative message about Thailand, reversing millions of dollars of "Amazing Thailand" marketing. Look at that photo, he looks like a decent, happily married guy and is a veteran to boot. This story, including the shameful Thai court verdict, will run in almost every American newspaper and news channel, ten of millions of people will hear about this. These incidents are expensive for Thailand.

"That he tried calling 911 just minutes before the attack suggests that he was the victim of a billing scam".

No, it doesn't necessarily suggest that, it's you suggesting that! 

"These thugs are a tiny minority that ruin it for the vast majority of decent people. Sadly, in Thailand, the entire society is structured along those lines too".

Thailand's entire society is not structured that way at all.

"Look at that photo, he looks like a decent, happily married guy and is a veteran to boot". 

So there is a way that decent, happily married people look, is there?  This decent, happily married man was in go-go bar full of prostitutes in Pattaya, without his wife, how decent does that make him?  I'm not saying that he wasn't a decent man (go-go bar activity excluded) but what has his being ex-army specifically got to do with deciding that he must have been a "decent man" as opposed to any other type?

"This story, including the shameful Thai court verdict, will run in almost every American newspaper..."

What has this got to do with the US newspapers particularly and what was "shameful" about the court's verdict,?  Perhaps the court had information to make a correct decision at the time, after all, when the case was heard the victim was alive at home in Wales.

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Not guilty, what a surprise. Thais can attack foreigners with impunity in this godforsaken place. I know of at least 10 murders of foreigners by Thais that have gone unpunished!

Let's hear the details of at least 10 then if that's the case

23 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Self defence, don't make me laugh.

It was obviously a scam  on the bill and then they bullied him and hit him

So you don't need to see any evidence of your speculative "bill scam"...

22 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:
23 hours ago, sanemax said:

Do you disagree that they guy went to hit the thais first and the Thais defended themselves ?

If so, what makes you disagree with that version of events ?

I'd need to see the CCTV evidence first

...but you do need evidence of that.  How does that work, then?  You only require evidence when it suits your agenda, perhaps?

22 hours ago, kingdong said:

In England if you died within one year of injuries sustained in an attack its manslaughter,the land of smiles first world prices and aspirations. And a third world justice system,be carefully out there.

Not if the trial is held and the verdict announced almost a year before the death!

21 hours ago, yogi100 said:
On 10/31/2019 at 9:44 PM, sanemax said:

No need for Thai bashing , bouncers behave violently in every country , 

When was the last time you heard of a middle aged man getting killed by a bouncer 20 years his junior in countries such as the UK, the US, Oz or in Europe. For whatever reason.

His comment referred to "behaving violently", not "killing", therefore, what he said was accurate!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

There is a video on youtube from WS (unrelated to this incident) and if you watch it closely the doorman can be seen to put a knuckle duster on, launch a heavy one punch and then scamper off and slyly remove the knuckles

They don't appear to have any boundaries here. In true form in this video they only all jump in when one of the customers goes down on the floor

Anyway it's sad that this guy lost his life over what will probably be basically nothing......

"There is a video on youtube from WS (unrelated to this incident)…"

So why mention it?

15 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

His comment referred to "behaving violently", not "killing", therefore, what he said was accurate!

This fellow in this topic actually died. 

Most people would consider that's a bit more serious than simply being a victim of violent behaviour.

That's why we're commenting on it.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2019 at 8:49 PM, donnacha said:

Emergency Button" app that would instantly send their location to the local police.

Just what do you think Thai police would do? How quick do you think they would respond?

Unfortunately that's being serious....