Sleep

RickG16

42 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

I used to get leg cramps in the middle of the night or when stretching out of bed early in the morning.  But in the past several years, I've joined the 10,000step/day club and those cramps are gone.

I usually get up twice during the night to pee.....but am quick back to bed and sleep well.

On rare occasions when something is on my mind, I take a single 200mg advil.   That small dose seems to work a treat for me.

age 69

Sometimes I have severe cramps in the legs. It always helped me to take vitamin B. 

1 hour ago, Beggar said:

... There is also a kind of hearing aid that you can put into the ears that does this. I have never tried one. 

Bose Sleepbuds but it's over $400 USD.

I don't use this but I fall sleep with bluetooth earbuds (Jabra Elite 65t) listening to slow paced documentaries on my TV ( turns off automatically).  They are comfortable even lying on a side and I've yet to break them (over a year).

I meant to add to my above post......2 years ago we bought 15cm thick latex mattress from a vendor in Bangkok (delivered to our house).  At 25,000baht it wasn't cheap.......but it's a world of difference from the high quality spring mattress we previously had.

1 hour ago, Beggar said:

Sometimes I have severe cramps in the legs. It always helped me to take vitamin B. 

Leg cramps can be treated in various ways, magnesium supplements is one. Personally, quinine is very effective.

Cramps are caused by a flood of messages from the nerves to the muscles. Quinine damps the flood down.

I used to sleep very well until I came to live in Thailand, then woke earlier than I wanted when daylight started to arrive and birdsongs. Got double glazing fitted and then blackout curtains, and now I sleep like a top again.

21 hours ago, Beggar said:

I have Tinnitus too. It is a loud high pitched sound in both ears. Nothing seems to help. But luckily I can ignore it completely (at least until now). Here it helps that I cannot sit around without doing or thinking anything. So I always get distracted and don't focus on the Tinnitus. And on some days I don't have it and realize it by accident that it is not there. And no doctor ever could explain to me why it comes and goes. I tried every diet to find out a reason for this. In the meantime I gave up. It only disturbs me when I am at a noisy place and try to talk to people. But perhaps the noise would get on my nerves anyway. I googled for months to find a cure. But there seems to be none. 

True that. I have spoken to several neurologists about it, and the consensus seems to be that some outside factor stimulates the audio cortex, and it creates a loop that cannot be stopped. In my case, it never goes away. You are very fortunate that you get to experience some silence. I have not heard any silence in about 65 months now. It is what it is. It seems to be about acclimating, and living with the noise. 5,000 people a year kill themselves over this annually. I am determined to rise about it, and deal with it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

True that. I have spoken to several neurologists about it, and the consensus seems to be that some outside factor stimulates the audio cortex, and it creates a loop that cannot be stopped. In my case, it never goes away. You are very fortunate that you get to experience some silence. I have not heard any silence in about 65 months now. It is what it is. It seems to be about acclimating, and living with the noise. 5,000 people a year kill themselves over this annually. I am determined to rise about it, and deal with it. 

https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/neuromodulationTonesGenerator.php

This is worth experimenting with. 

20 hours ago, DavisH said:

Totally lame. Do I really want to pay more money, for something that simply masks my tinnitus, while I am listening to it? It does nothing to relieve it. It just covers it up like a band aid. I often forget about it during the day. It is always there, but my mind is able to cope, and I go hours sometimes, without thinking about it. It is only late at night, when things are very silent, that is becomes a real issue, and I am incredibly thankful for the sleeping pills, that allow me to sleep. 

On 11/4/2019 at 10:48 AM, spidermike007 said:

I will look into this, as I have dozens of others. One never knows. Though there are so many tonics, herbs, and techniques out there designed to dupe people who suffer from this, and accomplish nothing at all, besides ridding one of cash. At 110 pounds sterling per liter, it had better do something!

The link I gave you is to a real herbalist. Though that does not mean herbs will work for your case or not as there are many causes of Tinnitus. Try a small bottle first.

Edited by DaRoadrunner

On 11/4/2019 at 4:22 PM, Beggar said:

You can download a sound generating app where you can adjust the frequency to find the one that covers your tinnitus. Fascinating but when you switch it off the effect is gone very quickly. There is also a kind of hearing aid that you can put into the ears that does this. I have never tried one. 

The app I have is the Frequency Sound Generator on Android. You can adjust many things and can save your settings. It is free. 

This therapy equates to a bird insistently chirping in your ear. I already have one... Lady Roadrunner!

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Totally lame. Do I really want to pay more money, for something that simply masks my tinnitus, while I am listening to it? It does nothing to relieve it. It just covers it up like a band aid. I often forget about it during the day. It is always there, but my mind is able to cope, and I go hours sometimes, without thinking about it. It is only late at night, when things are very silent, that is becomes a real issue, and I am incredibly thankful for the sleeping pills, that allow me to sleep. 

Well you better suck it up then. There is NO cure. 

18 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Well you better suck it up then. There is NO cure. 

Some people find a cure, though many are stuck with it. Seems to depend on the cause. A friend got T after ear surgery. Spidermike said his cause was an ear infection. Mine was stress. Others say the cause was loud noise.

On 11/4/2019 at 3:46 PM, DavisH said:

Search on YouTube for tinnitus remodulation, or tinnitus sound therapy. There are some sound files you can listen to. One or two of them eliminate or greatly reduce my tinnitus, but the effect is temporary. Perhaps listening to it long term will have a more lasting effect. The following video works quite well for me, but the effect is temporary. Use with headphones.

I find this suppresses my T but only temporarily. Anyone had better results with prolonged use and if so, how long did you have to use the sound therapy?

• 1 month later...

I have suffered from sleepless nights for a decade. Wake up every other hour. I have tried working out 3 times a week, running, sleeping late, sleeping early. I work full days and am mentally exhaused when i come home.

3 months ago I did a course of placenta shots at a clinic in Bangkok. I heard about this on a trip to Japan. Not pushing this at all all, but for me it was a life changer. I slept the entire night and have done so almost every night since then. I feel I have more stamina and energy. Just a tip.

On 10/31/2019 at 9:54 PM, faraday said:

Wake up most mornings at 04:40, have done for years.

I'd love a decent night's kip.

Same here, I go to bed at around 8pm and wake up at 3am, a coffee and a ciggy then I'm off for a walk around the lake, never needed help in sleeping.

On 10/31/2019 at 9:54 PM, faraday said:

Wake up most mornings at 04:40, have done for years.

I'd love a decent night's kip.

Im the same but then can nod  of again at ANY time of day.....Ill work maybe 3-4-5 hours typically outdoors then go straight back to sleep at 11-12-1 etc for amybe 20minutes to 45 minutes Im usually asleep in the evening by 8-9pm

On 11/4/2019 at 6:08 PM, HidyHo said:

Bose Sleepbuds but it's over $400 USD.

I don't use this but I fall sleep with bluetooth earbuds (Jabra Elite 65t) listening to slow paced documentaries on my TV ( turns off automatically).  They are comfortable even lying on a side and I've yet to break them (over a year).

Yeah Il put on some PBS science  stuff and nod  off to that often

On 11/4/2019 at 3:42 PM, DavisH said:

I use f.lux on my computer. At night it switches to orange light. I use my laptop most nights until I sleep. I never have a problem sleeping quickly now. It's a free program that can be downloaded from the net.

actually  windows   can do that for you you dont need a  program its  already on your com if you use windows that is

On 11/4/2019 at 4:24 PM, Lacessit said:

As we age, our need for sleep is less. I sometimes break my bed rest at 2 am, noodle around on the internet for an hour or so, then go back to bed. If one worries about sleeping, it will only get worse.

Everyone's physiology is different. If I drink alcohol in the evening, my sleep is more disrupted than when I abstain. One of my neighbors swears by a whisky or two just before bed.

Melatonin does nothing for me. Codiphen ( antihistamine ) gives me about ten hours uninterrupted sleep. I take it once or twice a week.

It's a matter of working out your own strategies for getting a good night's sleep, and checking with a doctor that the strategy is sound.

funny,  i was just poking around the sites and found this.   My sleep pattern almost same as yours.   I wake up after a few hours,  walk around a bit or check internet.  Then go back to sleep and get a few more hours in.   Also,  an antihistamine before bed helps a lot,  but i do not take every day.    Everyone has their own patterns,  but older folks wake up more often i think