helping wife in shop

You may call it help, the immigration office will call it work. You are NOT allowed to do/work something a Thai can do also. Also a foreign restaurant owner with work visa is not allowed to empty ashtrays in his restaurant. 

12 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

He has no work permit; his hobby is not displacing a Thai worker; no harm, no foul?

There's a good probability of "no harm, no foul". 

But he's made himself vulnerable to anyone that wants to cause him problems.  A competitor, a love rival, a neighbor who just doesn't like foreigners.  Anyone can drop a dime on him.

But if that's the only way to fund a stay in Thailand, why not?  The worst that can happen under new rules is that he'll be deported.  In which case he's no worse off than going home because he has no way to support himself.

Used to be, there was the possibility of a fine and/or jail time.  But that changed a year or so ago.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

So, instead of helping out in his wife's shop, let's say that OP likes to make pottery as a hobby. 

He has a lots of bowls, mugs, dishes, and other works of his pottery left over, and he gives these to neighbors and friends.

The word gets around on social media, other people admire his artful works of pottery, and people start coming to visit and ask to buy or commission pieces of pottery.

He says he cannot sell his pottery since it is just a hobby, not a business.   But he says that people can make donations to the tip jar for the peices they take.

He has no work permit; his hobby is not displacing a Thai worker; no harm, no foul?

It doesn't matter how you dress it up, he is working. A tip is payment for services rendered. 

• Like 2

According to Thai labor law, the definition of work is "exerting effort" and "employing knowledge", "whether or not for wages or other benefits", and is based on the individual, not employment as in some other countries. ... It covers both employment and consulting.

16 hours ago, digbeth said:

Can I get a letter from immigration that I must not do any washing up? 

There should be downloads on TV for those sort of things to cover everything from dishwashing to grass cutting I reckon.

Could come under MADD.

Manual Assistance and Domestic Directives.

Edited by overherebc
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Whenever the wife asks for help I just say...teerak I not have work permit,I want to help but your government won't let me and that's the end of that because her government is the best in the world and they know what's best for their country.

Does your wife give you that impression? I can only say, mine doesn't, but shhh. 

1 hour ago, TaoNow said:

So, instead of helping out in his wife's shop, let's say that OP likes to make pottery as a hobby. 

He has a lots of bowls, mugs, dishes, and other works of his pottery left over, and he gives these to neighbors and friends.

The word gets around on social media, other people admire his artful works of pottery, and people start coming to visit and ask to buy or commission pieces of pottery.

He says he cannot sell his pottery since it is just a hobby, not a business.   But he says that people can make donations to the tip jar for the peices they take.

He's making money on his pottery – in other words, working. If "donations" were a viable loophole, everyone would be using it.

• Like 2