Tourist visa without insurance - almost deported

2 minutes ago, VBF said:

@ubonjoe You're rarely wrong, so excuse the question but here  http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html

it says that the Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme requires "Proof of adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand i.e. traveller’s cheque or cash equivalent to 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family."

but nowhere on that page does it say that those with SETV (valid visa) need to show any cash on entry. This is obviously from the UK Embassy site.

What am I missing...if anything?

You (and the UK embassy) are missing the official ministerial order which defines how much cash you have to carry on entry: http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2543/E/053/4.PDF

Visa exempt, transit visa or VOA: 10k THB, or 20k per family

Tourist or non-immigrant visa: 20k THB, or 40k per family

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You (and the UK embassy) are missing the official ministerial order which defines how much cash you have to carry on entry: http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2543/E/053/4.PDF

Visa exempt, transit visa or VOA: 10k THB, or 20k per family

Tourist or non-immigrant visa: 20k THB, or 40k per family

I was indeed unaware of it despite having been travelling to Thailand for many years. I also don't read Thai so that PDF doesn't tell me much and I wonder how many people (ESPECIALLY tourists) considering Thailand rely in good faith on the information on the Embassy website.

How many genuine tourists can read Thai anyway do you think?

This is especially confusing as the embassy site does mention cash requirement for the Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme but does not mention it for those using visas.

Just for interest - I also glanced at the Hull Consulate website - not there either.

But I nearly forgot......... Amazing Thailand!

Having said all that, I've never been asked to show cash entering any Thai airport but I do have at least 20K Baht on me when I arrive - but that's not the point!

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

This won't help you if you don't have cash with you.

The cash can be any currency, so the money exchanger is of no help in this situation.

What if it takes debit cards/credit cards? Did that cross your mind? Why do you think they put the booth next to the VOA? And fyi, there are loads of people having no cash or very little when arriving to the airport,and then withdraw money after customs. Don't believe immigration asks that many for the 20k even if posters here at TVF seems to think so. 

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

What if it takes debit cards/credit cards? Did that cross your mind?

According to reports which i've read here on Thaivisa they don't.

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Why do you think they put the booth next to the VOA?

Probably so that the Chinese can exchange their currency (cash) to Thai baht.

Edited by jackdd

1 hour ago, VBF said:

@ubonjoe You're rarely wrong, (and I believe we've discussed this before) so excuse the question but here 

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html

it says that the Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme requires "Proof of adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand i.e. traveller’s cheque or cash equivalent to 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family."

but nowhere on that page does it say that those with SETV (valid visa) need to show any cash on entry. This is obviously from the UK Embassy site.

They do indeed want financial evidence to apply for the visa but not, it appears, to enter Thailand.

What am I missing...if anything?

Because you have already proven your financial status when applying for the 60 days SETV. Fyi, there are many Thai embassies/consulates in Europe where you don't have to show any bank statements when applying for an 60 days SETV Visa. They don't even mention anything about showing money at any airport. 

something sounds confusing     he says he lived in thai for seveal years on non- b but the says still not complete yet and arrives on tourist visa ???? I'm confused or did I not read it correctly    

3 minutes ago, Dan O said:

something sounds confusing     he says he lived in thai for seveal years on non- b but the says still not complete yet and arrives on tourist visa ???? I'm confused or did I not read it correctly    

I read it the same way as you, and also got a bit confused.

45 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Because you have already proven your financial status when applying for the 60 days SETV. Fyi, there are many Thai embassies/consulates in Europe where you don't have to show any bank statements when applying for an 60 days SETV Visa. They don't even mention anything about showing money at any airport. 

Well you're making my point for me!

The Embassy (UK) website implies that the 20K cash is only required for those using the visa exemption scheme, but @ubonjoe says that even those on a visa need to show cash. Then @jackdd supplied a PDF which he says states a requirement for visa holders to show cash on arrival.

That's why I'm confused. 

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, VBF said:

Well you're making my point for me!

The Embassy (UK) website implies that the 20K cash is only required for those using the visa exemption scheme, but @ubonjoe says that even those on a visa need to show cash. Then @jackdd supplied a PDF which he says states a requirement for visa holders to show cash on arrival.

That's why I'm confused. 

Although regulation states that all visa holders should carry 20K "pocket money", it is not - as a general rule - enforced.

It only tends to be people using visa exemption with a history of long stays for tourism that get asked. And it's only really enforced when they are looking to deny entry.

These days it doesn't really matter if a long term tourist has the money as immigration will use a different reason to deny entry.

Typical holidaying tourists and non-tourist visa holders don't need to carry the cash.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Although regulation states that all visa holders should carry 20K "pocket money", it is not - as a general rule - enforced.

It only tends to be people using visa exemption with a history of long stays for tourism that get asked. And it's only really enforced when they are looking to deny entry.

These days it doesn't really matter if a long term tourist has the money as immigration will use a different reason to deny entry.

Typical holidaying tourists and non-tourist visa holders don't need to carry the cash.

It seems to me like many here at TVF thinks, just because for a strange reason "financial requirements" for a 60 days tourist Visa at the Thai Embassy/Consulates in the UK exists, then it's a worldwide requirement. It's not. If it was,then every embassy/consulate would require it, and they don't. They don't even mention those 10 or 20k people "need to show" at airports on their info pages. Please explain that to me. 

• Like 1

Thanks to @elviajero

So to sum up then:

Some Embassies / Consulates have "financial requirements" to obtain the visa in the first place - depends in what country one applies. So one obeys the particular requirements of the local Embassy or Consulate and gets one's visa.

Then, when you have your visa and arrive in Thailand, EVERYONE should, by the letter of the law have the cash to show Immigration (20K Baht or equivalent for a sole traveller) - whether one is asked to show it or not is up to the IO on the day, who may or not be influenced by your history of travels to Thailand.

Not impossible (IMO) but totally barking mad and may, of course be summed up as a classic case of TIT :crying:

And we've all wandered :offtopic2: because the thread is titled "Tourist visa without insurance" and for a Tourist Visa, there is no insurance requirement anyway, although before anyone says it, you'd be very stupid to travel without at least the Health element of travel insurance...well...IMO.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, BritTim said:

Must be cash, but not necessarily in Thai baht. The equivalent in any major currency is acceptable.

I was at a Thai consulate in Austria today and I overheard the advice a tourist visa applicant received: have 20.000 Baht in cash. Do not have it in another currency. Also proof of hotel reservation is requested. 

45 minutes ago, VBF said:

Thanks to @elviajero

So to sum up then:

Some Embassies / Consulates have "financial requirements" to obtain the visa in the first place - depends in what country one applies. So one obeys the particular requirements of the local Embassy or Consulate and gets one's visa.

Then, when you have your visa and arrive in Thailand, EVERYONE should, by the letter of the law have the cash to show Immigration (20K Baht or equivalent for a sole traveller) - whether one is asked to show it or not is up to the IO on the day, who may or not be influenced by your history of travels to Thailand.

Not impossible (IMO) but totally barking mad and may, of course be summed up as a classic case of TIT :crying:

And we've all wandered :offtopic2: because the thread is titled "Tourist visa without insurance" and for a Tourist Visa, there is no insurance requirement anyway, although before anyone says it, you'd be very stupid to travel without at least the Health element of travel insurance...well...IMO.

"Then, when you have your visa and arrive in Thailand, EVERYONE should, by the letter of the law have the cash to show Immigration (20K Baht or equivalent for a sole traveller) ."

What law? The only place a person needs to check for rules and regulations when applying for a Visa,any Visa,is at the Thai Embassy or Consulates website in his home country. NOWHERE ELSE. If there's nothing mentioned there,then there's no law, whatever you and other people here says. No one needs to check any immigration website, that's bs. Look like a bum or a begpacker when arriving at the airport with endless visa exempts,phony ED-Visas and border runs, that will be the only reason for questions about cash in the pocket. Arrive with a proper visa from your home country with a proper history,and there will NEVER be any questions asked about money! 

Edited by Max69xl

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"Then, when you have your visa and arrive in Thailand, EVERYONE should, by the letter of the law have the cash to show Immigration (20K Baht or equivalent for a sole traveller) ."

What law? The only place a person needs to check for rules and regulations when applying for a Visa,any Visa,is at the Thai Embassy or Consulates website in his home country. NOWHERE ELSE. If there's nothing mentioned there,then there's no law, whatever you and other people here says. No one needs to check any immigration website, that's bs. Look like a bum or a begpacker when arriving at the airport with endless visa exempts,phony ED-Visas and border runs, that will be thevonly reason for questions about cash in the pocket. Arrive with a proper visa from your home country with a proper history,and there will NEVER be any questions asked about money! 

That's ridiculous - the law has been quoted above in several places. Just because you or I are unaware of it is irrelevant. What is relevant is that the Embassy or Consulate should get their facts right because as you and I have both implied, THAT'S where foreigners will look in the hopes of obeying the law.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Letseng said:

I was at a Thai consulate in Austria today and I overheard the advice a tourist visa applicant received: have 20.000 Baht in cash. Do not have it in another currency. Also proof of hotel reservation is requested. 

And if not staying in Austria and living elsewhere within the EU,and not being adviced about 20k or a hotel reservation isn't required for a 60 days TR, what will happen?  Nothing will happen! 

9 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Really is crazy in this day and age, when the modern world is almost cashless (I never carry cash in UK or europe, maybe a 50 rolled up in my card clip for emergency use) that Thailand demands CASH for traveller almost certainly reliant on debit / credit cards. 

I always carry enough cash to last me the complete stay. I try to avoid ATMs and my Visa card except as a last resort. By converting actual cash banknotes I save abut 10-12% on what I would have to pay cashless (fees and the worst exchange rate possible). I know there are some banks that are not too bad but none are as good as cash for currency conversion and I don't want to stuff around trying to find a suitable bank, open accounts, etc. The only thing I pay through my bank is my condo rent because that would be tricky doing with cash, but I grit my teeth every time I see the crappy rates on those payments.

Last trip I was here 5 months and AUD$16k was enough to cover all expenses including a couple of short holidays out of the country. I even took some back home with me. I just have to be careful not to show the IO the whole wad of cash else I might be "asked" for a substantial "tip".

If I was staying in a hotel then I would not consider cash because of the risk of theft, even from the room safe, but my condo on the 18th floor of a secured building is safe enough for me. Of course when I am back in Australia, I use my cards for most purchases, and pay all my bills with direct bank transfers, but there are no/minimal fees and no currency conversion to suffer.

Anyway, each to their own.

Edited by Dexxter
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The money is for tourist visa holders and for people on 30 days visa exempt. 

Look at the yellow notice board in the previous post. The cash requirement includes Non-Immigrant visas. (Point #2)

Edited by Dexxter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dexxter said:

I always carry enough cash to last me the complete stay. I try to avoid ATMs and my Visa card except as a last resort. By converting actual cash banknotes I save abut 10-12% on what I would have to pay cashless (fees and the worst exchange rate possible). I know there are some banks that are not too bad but none are as good as cash for currency conversion and I don't want to stuff around trying to find a suitable bank, open accounts, etc. The only thing I pay through my bank is my condo rent because that would be tricky doing with cash, but I grit my teeth every time I see the crappy rates on those payments.

Last trip I was here 5 months and AUD$16k was enough to cover all expenses including a couple of short holidays out of the country. I even took some back home with me. I just have to be careful not to show the IO the whole wad of cash else I might be "asked" for a substantial "tip".

If I was staying in a hotel then I would not consider cash because of the risk of theft, even from the room safe, but my condo on the 18th floor of a secured building is safe enough for me. Of course when I am back in Australia, I use my cards for most purchases, and pay all my bills with direct bank transfers, but there are no/minimal fees and no currency conversion to suffer.

Anyway, each to their own.

OK boomer

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Letseng said:

It can be in any exchangeable foreign currency. But if you get to the point of an IO asking to see 10/20K you’ve almost certainly already lost, and it doesn’t matter if it’s THB or USD.

Only serial tourists need to worry about this rule, and even if they have 10/20K THB they can still be denied entry.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1