Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

10 hours ago, bannork said:

Extracting the urine is a national trait for us Brits.

Once extracted, a further source is sought. 

A true Essex man, it is clear Owl, will never move beyond stage one in this project 

Regarding football, hope and despair go hand in hand if you are a true supporter of your local team(s).

Born in Southampton, I cheer on the Saints' attempts to remain in the Premier League, whilst spending my teenage years in Hull, I always look out for The Tigers in The Championship.

Luckily, my loyalty and love for these overpaid performers only stretches as far as a cursory glance at the Saturday results.

Entertaining, attacking football, yes! Otherwise - boring 

Last night I dreamt Queen Elizabeth and the Duke came to my old school. Being the resident farang, I was told to go out and greet them.

My hair was disheveled, I looked rough, but Liz was kind and invited me to sit on the back seat of their Morris Minor. 

' So where should we go then?' she asked. 'I gather you've been here for some time.'

'Ban Dung, ma'am,' I replied.

'Full speed ahead, Giles!' she answered laughing to the Duke behind the wheel  

Amanadha Vollmer. She is the lady to set me free.

Stage one - find those little places that need attention.

Stage two - sort out those inner problems.

Stage three - rejuvenation by reverse induction.

Seriously Bannork; I am noticing a difference. And it's only week three. Amandha says to wash the urine off each evening during the first phase.

I'm with you on the footy. My team suffered their first loss of the season. Just a blip. When they get to the Ch Lg, the players will all be on ten times more a week than they presently are. That's modern sport I guess. Simply big business.

As for dreaming! I often dream of Hainault. Sitting by the lake, often in the rain, throwing bits of bread to the geese while I wait for a big fish to grab my bait. A pretty young lady walks by. She stops and stares at me. "Are you Owl from Dagenham Dock?" "That I am miss." "Well, my mother would like a word with you. Dad!"  Luckily a fish runs off with my maggot, and I am fully focused on the angling contest. But the fish gets away, and the lady is gone.

Mrs Owl pokes me in the ribs. "Gas has gone. Need new. 500 baht; give me."

Such is life.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, HighPriority said:

I wouldn’t get in that car, you know they both died recently Owl ?

Might be after a traveling companion for a long one way trip !

The cynic in me is surprised that the grifters are allowing you through stages 1 & 2 before whacking you up for dosh!!

I am aware of the queen passing away. She died of 'Old age'. That's official. A couple of days earlier she was at a dinner party, scoffing the scones. All seems a bit sudden to me. Strange indeed.

If Amandha's therapy works, and it seems to be, I'll be sending her some dosh for sure.

https://yummy.doctor/

Mrs Owl has just arizen and has whacked Poo and Ginger. "Why you let cat in house? Farang ting tong."

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

Is that the same Amandha Vollmer who said,

"Due to the COVID-19 pandemic hoax, we are cancelling nothing,” read part of a post on the weekend by the owner of Yummy Mummy Emporium & Apothecary"

and

“You can come over here with a fever and cough all you want. We know that germs don’t cause disease,” ?

I hope her urine regimen is less dangerous than her thinking about germs and disease.

Yes! That's the lady.

She don't go a bundle on the covid narrative it seems. Has her own ideas on health.

Let you know about the urine therapy. Seems to be working so far.

25 minutes ago, bannork said:

I think we've seen the end of the rainy season, Owl.

I can't get my head around the massacre at Nong Bua Lampu. Taking revenge on someone you think has wronged you, I get, but slaughtering young children? The photo today of a bereaved mother placing her child's favourite toys on his/ her coffin just tore me up.

We have only just started putting out the Nitrogen and cassava waste around the oil palms. Need some rain to get the nutrients into the ground. Last year the biggest rain was on the 22nd of October. Who knows?

I feel the same about the massacre Bannork. Can't even read the reports of it; too upsetting. I feel for all those who are suffering.

Just a thought about the copper that did the nasty. I have read that he was not only a drug user, but a dealer also. That was why he was kicked out. Don't know if was still using. I know of a first-time-caught (in Thailand) drug dealer, in Udon Province, who got 4 years in the monkey. I paid for him to get out of jail in Laos a year or so earlier. So why wasn't this murderer locked away; or at the very least sent for trial?

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

Absolute tragedy, the Thai here on Oz are devastated.

I don’t read much of such events, but I did read that he was “caught” with/using drugs in 2019, but continued being a copper until early this year…?

How the F@£€k can that be allowed to happen ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HighPriority said:

At what point did Mrs Owl inform you of the possible sale Owl ?

This sale has been on the cards for a couple of years. Had offers. and then the people are not interested.. a few times. Now! Whether they are offers for real, or just Mrs Owl's interpretation or imagination even, I don't know. But I did send an aerial pic of the farms off earlier.

I don't want to sell any part of the farm. What for? The Mrs wants to do this and do that. Changes every month. TBH, until there is leccy put in, I don't think a sale is even possible, not for a realistic price that is.

Went to the farm this afternoon. One of Mildred's carp died.

619943155_11koidie.png.2c03c08c59d4143006a55b16e96fa742.png

1719124679_111koidie.png.3f712334e6fb6060baa7f94e51b60cba.png

The bigger one with the long tail is OK. But I didn't see it come for food.

• Like 1

This afternoon I was happily prepared to be proved wrong about the end of the rainy season. A large black cloud emerged in the east, accompanied by a large clap of thunder. Great, I thought.

Sadly, Mother Nature was simply extracting the urine, a few drops fell, and that was that  .

8 hours ago, bannork said:

This afternoon I was happily prepared to be proved wrong about the end of the rainy season. A large black cloud emerged in the east, accompanied by a large clap of thunder. Great, I thought.

Sadly, Mother Nature was simply extracting the urine, a few drops fell, and that was that  .

Same here. I was in the farm and a shower started. All over in less than a minute.

Speaking of 'extracting the urine; I have shelved my programme for a while. On Wednesday last, it didn't go to plan. Whist showering I got some of the saved stuff in my eye. Quite sore for a while. I'm gonna do a bit more research before starting again.

But to be fair to Amandha's system, I did notice changes. And she is so yummy; in a natural sort of way. I'm sure to give it another try; starting today perhaps!?

Edited by owl sees all

Technically I was wrong about the end of the rainy season, Owl!

Did you experience the same cold light drizzle we had here from midday to 4.00 pm?

Reminded me of Blighty, persistent dampness, though milder. 

Had to pop in to Ban Dung at 8.00 pm, it was very dead for a  Saturday night. Can't be easy for any night time venues.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bannork said:

Technically I was wrong about the end of the rainy season, Owl!

Did you experience the same cold light drizzle we had here from midday to 4.00 pm?

Reminded me of Blighty, persistent dampness, though milder. 

Had to pop in to Ban Dung at 8.00 pm, it was very dead for a  Saturday night. Can't be easy for any night time venues.

Yes! Same over here. Promised so much, and delivered so little.

Has got noticeably colder too.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, owl sees all said:

The Owls march on. While their rivals, United, squander points at home.

The Owls do indeed march on, at the moment, we'll see.

Big pitch battle at Bramall Lane after the final whistle with 2 getting sent off. They are a nasty shower of thugs though down there, supporters and players alike.

15 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Put my urine challenge on hold. It was playing havoc with my eyebrows. Had to trim them in the week.

????????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, sotonowl said:

The Owls do indeed march on, at the moment, we'll see.

Big pitch battle at Bramall Lane after the final whistle with 2 getting sent off. They are a nasty shower of thugs though down there, supporters and players alike.

????????????

The Sheffield rivalry must be one of the biggest in English footy. There are many others; and long may they continue. I remember the Scots fan saying on TV. Don't care about the World Cup, as long as we beat England.

I see that once mighty club, Notts County, were knocked out of the FA Cup at home by,,,, wait for it,,,,, Coalville Town. Although they are not exactly neighbours, they are not that far apart on the map. A future rivalry brewing?

Coalville Town; I'm your new fan!

But some sadness in the cup. Both Hornchurch and Aveley have gone out. On the upside; Dagenham and Redbridge (one club) put seven past Beckenham to march on to the next round.

The urine challenge had been shelved temporarily. It was doing the biz with my war wound though. Might start it up today. Not likely to graduate from phase one for a while. When I do, I might skip phase two altogether, and move straight on to phase three. But to do that effectively, I'd need a special kit. Could always make one rather than buy it. We will see.

Edited by owl sees all
Adjusted size of text

On 11/18/2019 at 12:17 AM, owl sees all said:

Just came in from paying respects to a deceased lady; just 4 huts away. She died yesterday aged 97. The household was very generous with the food and drink as per usual. Served all sorts of dishes. I was happy with the pla nin. Although one of the larger ones looked familiar.  Didn't participate with the alcohol as I've got to drive to Nong Khai later. Wife is still there though; scurrying about.

I've been considering giving some of my Mekong catfish to the local temple. They have grown well; in fact very well. The biggest two are over 1.4 metres long and all over one metre. I have 19, and they dominate the other fish at feeding time. If I could get some muscle on the job, for the catching, I reckon I could donate 9. 

I did have some feeding posts, that just needed old fruit and veg' to get maggots for free. I'm thinking of putting in a few to cut down on the cost of feed. When I do eventually stock with fingerlings, I'll put the automated feeding stations in all ponds.

The big mekongs are in pond #5 (from the left).

ponds01.jpg

The lady next to us didn't plant rice this year. She planted rosella. I knew it as sorrel in the Caribbean. Very nice drink. She is harvesting at the moment and is getting 100 baht a kilo for dry. Interesting!

Rosella makes great wine!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, d4dang said:

It does indeed.

I would boil up my rosella (called sorrel in Caribbean) for a couple of hours. Let it cool and add 25% Lao Khow. Very good night-cap.

Covered extensively on this thread a couple of years back. Think you might have hit the time D4dong.

4 hours ago, d4dang said:

Getting to learn more and more about the rosella system. We have 30 rai spare, and at the moment unsure what to grow.

Pic #1 Preparing the flower by removing the seed pod.

Pic #2 Drying the rosella (that's my shadow;  not some daytime peelaw). 

Pic #3 Bagged up.

Pic #4 Drying the seed pods.

1096828279_rosellaprepare.thumb.JPG.eb53977ba16f56f0c6531fc99be6ad5e.JPG

275786244_roselladrying.thumb.JPG.22049150f173c2926b1267ecf4db4762.JPG

2067145473_rosellabagged.thumb.JPG.25c47228629d7e73ae6310165e8ce82d.JPG

1080886137_rosellaseedpodsdrying.thumb.JPG.eef5d4f8d81f0d692ed1bb158e9f1301.jpg.b4f233343b7e9a29411c7fbfebe1d1a3.jpg

The lowdown on the rosella is as follows. The lady reckons on harvesting 300 kilos from her 4 rai. At 100 baht a kilo. Easier to grow than rice but post-harvest there are many days ahead; de-podding, drying and bagging up. Very interesting this, especially if this drought cycle continues for more seasons. A lot of the Oz folk on the forum would know about rosella already.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1