Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

3 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I even tried putting some through a coffee filter paper - still cloudy.

The answer is on all the Thai's faces. Yep; face masks!

Get a couple of of them and pour away. After all, if they can stop a tiny virus, they could surely take out a bit of stringy stuff in the wine.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Yes!

They have some pups for sale now. They have so many that I was temped to get a couple more. but we don't live on the farm anymore, and it would have been just too difficult in the village.

Beautiful dogs they are.

They've only got bitches left, around 7 of them.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Owl Log - 22-01-2023 - Sunday afternoon

Not a cloud in the sky for a week. Been a little chilly, but warmer this morning. In just 40 days we will be in March; one of the hottest months of the year. Sometimes the hottest.

Another pond dug out next to us. Only small but very deep.

978284556_00dignewpond.png.cf7da98e14fdbd61015654fc22756f10.png

This is the Buddha farm.

1157981029_00digpond.png.a1f0c603fa81dcdc45f0da0879586cd7.png

Her name is Chelsea. She supports Chelsea. And - it seems - is sponsored by them.

Mildred's niece.

366437618_chelseafan.png.964dc690ecd9782468905598b870972a.png

The road works along the 2022 are well underway. First job is to move all the leccy posts back.

795842901_20222.png.b260d8b0fdafb7ba5b0098ff6fcf84cc.png

263155091_20221.png.a27e5fba9ee5c81195af9704d237ee77.png

It's gonna be grand. Hope they fill in the holes in the old sections.

1576592284_20224.png.80ad4179c4d4abbe87733cf1288d162c.png

It's that time of year. Rice is done and the stubble is burnt.

350297211_farmfire4.png.ddf9c3e178202665471ac30a2d2c3a99.png

Sometimes it all gets out of control.

1562490017_farmfire2.png.32ed515b7e6f815ec135670d78b5dc7f.png

The monks are doubling up.

1146110390_4monks0.png.23eb7940dc703e7698ab770d9a1381b2.png

1856677577_4monks1.png.f641a195e98c9aa3d6de3007e3211605.png

Gave the doggies a wash in the week.

1220146478_11washdog.png.cc9d52c39b0b2a8dbf41032855ffc864.png

Then they are dried.

221743959_111washdog.png.04219058960e19f06d1f0d9742ab637f.png

Always thought that dogs shook themselves dry. What do I know! Perhaps the pups have to learn the skill. Just like we have to learn things.

Poo seems to be good friends with both the dogs. Ginger keeps his distance and Jack has changed carer. Not seen him for a week. He was my favourite too.

1582177101_dogsandPoo.png.86507ed8ad077967f93da2dc18df69e9.png

Tried to catch a few pla nin yesterday. I stressed that it was the wrong time of day. But they gave it a go. Caught 20 or so. We got the two biggest and will have them for lunch today.

Saw something really nice at the farm while we were after the fish.

764288113_littlechicks.png.e0cd8ecef3e6266578e20151ca679b16.png

If it hadn't been for the mum flying in, we might not have noticed them.

2109441799_aalittlebirds.png.8a553a138019ce439d68466a5efb3ca1.png

Bella's farm have a new little furnace.

198971171_alittlefurnace.png.6654f61b2e406b6a568ec18ddc10ecda.png

Nice colour scheme Mil.

1967245968_aalittlefurnace.png.b3b9e780262543daf410748d06510896.png

When we go to the farm we always feed the dogs. Chickens too, if we have food for them.

This afternoon we plan to take Robert and Oscar to the farm, for the first time. Will be interesting to see what happens. Not just with the dogs, but more importantly, with the chickens..

222466746_feeddogsatfarm.png.c97c6d5f2dd1f160570731548dcc705e.png

The new arrivals have slowed Mildred's artwork down. But she did a painting as a school project called 'Dreams'. Had to write a story to go with it. I'll try to get it translated, when It's finished, and have a read.

552223596_lostinvertvof.png.2fa78ca4cdf6a4a5106e34cc34c8b789.png

And it's out with the old and in with the new.

My old Nokia was giving problems. The phone was OK, but the battery was going US. Tried to get a replacement but not surprisingly I couldn't. So i had to dive deep into my pocket for a replacement.

1365097770_newnokia.png.afd60c214b68eab267aa8d64918cc151.png

I stayed with Nokia, as I had fond memories of a Finish lady that I knew from the past. She could do special things. But I digress. The phone is a bit complicated, and the camera is next to rubbish, but it's a nice colour and the shop lady managed to get all my old numbers onto the new phone. But most importantly; it was cheap. I'm using the old Nokia as an alarm clock, and if I could get a battery I'd go back.

I have got a lovely gold phone that I've never used. It's a long story, but I was crossed between getting the phone - that the lady assured me was real gold plated - or a Rolex. I chose the phone but when I got home and unpacked it, there was no charger. The silly lady had forgotten to put it in the bag. Waste of 500 baht really. The Nokia battery is on the right.

phones.png.84848c3b8c926e521c50aa76bd9516c4.png

Footy round-up

Lots of draws in the EPL yesterday. Including a very un-exciting game at Anfield; 0-0 with Chelsea. Good to see the Irons win a game. Everton look down and dishevelled. Frankie L's job not in doubt however. A spell in the Championship might do the Toffeez good. Rekindle the juices so to speak. Like Burnley. Everton are due to move into their new home next season. Will be great to see 50k gates for home games in the Championship.

Orient crash at Stevenage 3-0.

Owls scrape home against Fleetwood, and cement second spot. Owls vs Toffeez next season; mouth-watering!

Man City comeback very well, against Spurs, to keep in second spot. Arsenal and United play today. As do Leeds.

Cold weather caused a lot of matches to be postponed in the lower divisions. Only three games went ahead in Div 3.

Thailand beat Vietnam 1-0 to win the AFF cup in Bangkok. 3-2 on aggregate, as they had drawn 2-2 away.

Had one eye on the tennis in Melbourne (Oz). Andy Murray has gone. Not surprised. as only a day or so before he was playing at 4 in the morning. Djokovic steams ahead; although badly injured. Raducanu knocked out by favourite Gauff; who got beaten yesterday. It's wide open in the Ladies tournament. Naomi Osaka - Japan's pin-up tennis star - is expecting. So no more watching this delightful lady on court until 2024; or later.

I also notice that the BBC are not putting the national flag against the Russian players.  A bit petty that, I think.

Big tennis tournament coming to Hua Hin soon. I'd pop along for a game or two if I was closer.

Leccy bill for the last 30 days the highest I've seen it; over 2,000 baht! The MinL's about the same at 400 baht.

Just had a guy come round asking if we - as in me, Mrs Owl and Mildred - wanted a free covid jab.

Not seen Ting for over a month. If she forgets me and moves on; I'll understand.

Still not gone to Udon to pick up my paperwork. Might leave it until my 90 day is ready next month.

Started my fasting last Monday. Urine challenge has been shelved for now. Not sorry about that as I got fed up with trimming my eyebrows every day. But the hairs on my arm have grown to 50mm. So it must work. And my war-wound has become almost unnoticeable.

World focus.

Jacinda Ardern is no more. Burnout!! Happens to the best of us dear. The WEF, for 2023, is about to finish. Tony Blair gave a rousing talk about jabbing up Africa and vaxx-passports. I reckon he will be the WEF's next leader withing a couple of years.

Moans and groans from the populas in the UK. Can't eat! Can't sleep! Can't heat! But they get along to support their footy teams. We English always have our priorities right.

Not seen the budgies since their release from captivity.

Mrs Owl wants to buy a pick-up. A Ford Wild-track has caught her eye. I'm pondering.

Mrs Owl has cracked more tiles in the sink. I'll have a good look tomorrow.

Only one thing left to say; bye y'all.

Them pups are grand, if I'd got a decent size garden would have snapped one up.????????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Them pups are grand, if I'd got a decent size garden would have snapped one up.????????

They are cute alright. But I'm aware that they can grow up to be absolute <deleted>.

I'll get some pics when they visit the farm for the first time today.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Owls were lucky, thought Fleetwood deserved a point to be honest Owl. Never mind the Toffees, it's the Saints I'd like to be playing next season if we can manage it.

I reckon you are right there Owl. But Saints are a strange lot; just when you think they are doomed, they go on a run.

Have not forgot the PM. Will answer in email.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I reckon you are right there Owl. But Saints are a strange lot; just when you think they are doomed, they go on a run.

Have not forgot the PM. Will answer in email.

I only want Saints down if we go up as it's a game I can get to.

On 1/21/2023 at 10:41 AM, owl sees all said:

That is the biggest Pacu I've ever seen. 16 kg. Wow!!

Must be a world record. Much bigger than the ones I used to catch in Jamaica; although maybe nor the same strain.

Did have some in Pond One a few years back, but they never grew more than 2.5/3 kg.

I think the record is about 40 kg. but yes, unlikely to see one over 20 kg. I do have at least one in my main private pond which is around 2-3 kg. Should also be some smaller ones, but not seen them for 6 months. I feed the pond every day with the previous days food waste (family creates a lot, cannot understand why they are not more careful). but mainly see plaa sawai which particularly like star fruit. The Jeramid only comes sometimes, and a Giant Gourami rarely. Haven't fished for 2 months as too much repair work around the banks. Also nightmare doing daughters passport and wife's visa for hopefully trip to UK in April. Talk about stress!

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 8:05 PM, geronimo said:

I heard Bernard was put out to pasture in Nakon Nowhere, where he grazes in an open field with his trusted notebook and pen .........

he might be riding the last green bus into the horizon

9 hours ago, rickudon said:

I think the record is about 40 kg. but yes, unlikely to see one over 20 kg. I do have at least one in my main private pond which is around 2-3 kg. Should also be some smaller ones, but not seen them for 6 months. I feed the pond every day with the previous days food waste (family creates a lot, cannot understand why they are not more careful). but mainly see plaa sawai which particularly like star fruit. The Jeramid only comes sometimes, and a Giant Gourami rarely. Haven't fished for 2 months as too much repair work around the banks. Also nightmare doing daughters passport and wife's visa for hopefully trip to UK in April. Talk about stress!

I've fished in a lot of places here, and never caught a pacu more than a couple of kiloes. Wife caught a 34kg catfish in Chonburi. I'll dig out a pic for that. We also have Gourami in pond seven, but they are mini-gouramis not giants.

I only fish in ponds one and two for fish to eat; mostly pla nin.

As for passports. I got Mildred a UK one when she was about 2. Never used it, but I thought it important to get her into the system. Easier to renew a passport than get one from scratch when in the teens. So far so good. The wife's visa was a nightmare. And when she finally got going, she was detained in Kuala Lumpa and missed her follow-on-flight to London. Had to get her a ticket back to Bangkok a few days later. Also flights to Spain from England were wasted. In all, lots of dosh done and also - just like yourself - tons of stress; all round.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I've fished in a lot of places here, and never caught a pacu more than a couple of kiloes. Wife caught a 34kg catfish in Chonburi. I'll dig out a pic for that. We also have Gourami in pond seven, but they are mini-gouramis not giants.

I only fish in ponds one and two for fish to eat; mostly pla nin.

As for passports. I got Mildred a UK one when she was about 2. Never used it, but I thought it important to get her into the system. Easier to renew a passport than get one from scratch when in the teens. So far so good. The wife's visa was a nightmare. And when she finally got going, she was detained in Kuala Lumpa and missed her follow-on-flight to London. Had to get her a ticket back to Bangkok a few days later. Also flights to Spain from England were wasted. In all, lots of dosh done and also - just like yourself - tons of stress; all round.

Got my son his first UK passport at about 15 months. Renewed it twice without any problem. He'll be 34 next month and the last time he went to the UK he was 18 months old. 

Only detention I've had is by Thai immigration in 1986. Long story but ultimately my own fault. Kicked out and back 6 months later. I was young and gullible then. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GarryP said:

Got my son his first UK passport at about 15 months. Renewed it twice without any problem. He'll be 34 next month and the last time he went to the UK he was 18 months old. 

Only detention I've had is by Thai immigration in 1986. Long story but ultimately my own fault. Kicked out and back 6 months later. I was young and gullible then. 

Oh, come on Garry, do tell us more about your experience with immigration. A massive overstay I guess.

Owl, this cold weather is proving irksome, I worry it's having a detrimental effect on mango trees' flowering turning to fruit. 

My มะปราง maprang, the Indian 

Plum tree produced loads of flowers but none turned to fruit. No sign of butterflies, flies or other insects. Is it simply too cold? If this continues perhaps pollination will fail  

• Like 2

On 1/21/2023 at 10:59 AM, roo860 said:

Did you get the Ridgebacks from Michael and Mem? I have followed them for a long time on YouTube, quality dogs they breed!

Just watched the video, you did buy from them, I remembered the names of the pups!

Mem and hubby visited us yesterday. They were so happy to see the dogs in good shape, and the dogs were overjoyed to see old friends.

Michael took a couple of short vids around the farm. I reckon he will put them up on his channel.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DJ54 said:

Owl thanks for the Sunday log.. it’s great reading… Speaking of chainsaws bought one awhile back for father in law… he commenced to cut down every tree in the front yard… I was to late putting a stop to it, Had a beautiful big tree with reddish purple little berries good eating in the front corner… it provided great big shade …

asked wife what s the problem with papa and trees… she said the monk told him to cut all them down let the spirits out… told her next time he cuts down any trees I’ll throw him and the monk off the property… it was and angry moment for sure…. 

have a great week.. 

60693677-7D65-4B72-8389-E690F6718FFA.jpeg

3944C144-7CA7-4C97-9672-3348081A9F24.jpeg

Thanks for the inspiring words DJ.

Give a Thai a new toy, and he just can't put it down.

• Like 1

Found an interesting add for a www this morning.

Can't make me mind up if it's a biblical or a flat-earther's add.

1844624481_Screenshot_2023-01-30TWITTERATI-MOATSEpisode208withGeorgeGalloway.png.5aadab1cc923e1d6773694a99c6b8390.png

I could put it in AN's joke section. Think I will.

Took note of the www and will have a look later.

Edited by owl sees all

9 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Mem and hubby visited us yesterday. They were so happy to see the dogs in good shape, and the dogs were overjoyed to see old friends.

Michael took a couple of short vids around the farm. I reckon he will put them up on his channel.

Excellent, he said he'd been to the farm, what grand dogs they are!!!!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Found an interesting add for a www this morning.

Can't make me mind up if it's a biblical or a flat-earther's add.

1844624481_Screenshot_2023-01-30TWITTERATI-MOATSEpisode208withGeorgeGalloway.png.5aadab1cc923e1d6773694a99c6b8390.png

I could put it in AN's joke section. Think I will.

Took note of the www and will have a look later.

I've always struggled with this, 16th, 17th, 18th centuries and they all thought the earth was flat but old Zeus made Atlas walk round with the world on his back, how did the ancients know before our more recent ancestors?

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 18.43.22.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sotonowl said:

I've always struggled with this, 16th, 17th, 18th centuries and they all thought the earth was flat but old Zeus made Atlas walk round with the world on his back, how did the ancients know before our more recent ancestors?

Maybe Zeus and Atlas were on the same bowling team.

Flat earth (at the end). 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, bannork said:

Last Friday some workers from the Forestry Department cut down some ต้นประดู่ Burmese hardwood trees from a neighbour's land giving him a derisory 500 baht a tree, claiming they had the right because the land's status is สปก sor bor kor officially state land but families are given the right to farm it and must pass it down to their descendants ( officially).

I was told their actions were illegal if the family have held the land over 10 years- they all have around here.

If they come for my ต้นพะยูง Siamese rosewood, I'll chain myself to the trees.

Rise up tree huggers!

Interesting post!

About 15 years ago me and the Mrs went to the festival at Udon over the NY holiday. The Forestry had a big stand. I had a nosy round their presentation to see what was on offer.  There were maps of land that could be taken over for 'development'. Most of this was to the north of the Udon to Sakon Nakon road. I was interested, but it was obviously not for farngs.

The land was in 4 rai parcels. However it couldn't be cleared for rice growing - withour permission - and there could be no permanent dwellings built. This meant that all living buildings were to be in wood and bamboo. The exception to this was a toilet. Which could be concrete and blocks. There was the offer of free hardwood trees also. Each tenure was for 10 years..

Was this one of Thaksin;s projects? Much like the free ponds. being dug all over the place. right now. And is this what Bannork's post is about?