Tourism: Indians "last hope" for Pattaya as Thai media reports massive high season decline

webfact

7 hours ago, joebrown said:

A few years ago I was in a very busy 7/11 on Pattaya Nua , just along from the Town Hall. A group of about 6 Indian males were directly in front of me in the queue. They asked a cashier to bring down 2 boxed bottles of spirits from the top shelf. They told the cashier to open the boxes and show them the bottles, which they all examined closely. They then proceeded to haggle over the price of one of them. I couldn't believe what I was witnessing. Thankfully the cashier told them the label price several times, and they then walked out without buying anything.

Indian tourists spending 10,000bt a day! What a crock of s##t.

"and they then walked out without buying anything."  That's because they forgot to bring their straws.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Dice Man said:

And me so I agree with you and married one

Just to be precise, do you have meet your wife before to move to her small village

or do you have decided for some reasons go alone to live in a random small village in Issan

and then you have meet here your future wife?

Just now, kingofthemountain said:

True

but no way for the farang to do the butterfly

if he doesn't want his dick go feed the ducks

Totally correct ;
but at my age, 71, I have other hobbies than room sports;
  MTBike  almost every morning, between 40 and 60 km sometimes more and also a lot of pictures of places that I cross ..
But we are moving away from the Indian saviors of Pattaya  :cheesy:

2 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Just to be precise, do you have meet your wife before to move to her small village

or do you have decided for some reasons go alone to live in a random small village in Issan

and then you have meet here your future wife?

I'm not Dice Man ;

as far as I am concerned, I met my wife 3 km from her village in Issan;
we have been married for 13 years and everything is going very well, m'am la marquise ..:jap:

5 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

i am very happy for you

just out of curiousity what was you doing in the middle of nowhere?

I love to discover and visit the middle of nowhere ;

I love to cycle long distances on red roads , not knowing where I'll arrive ;

I did so many journeys like that in all the provinces in the north of Thailand ;

As I did other beautiful journeys on my MTBike in Vietnam, always alone , during years  1990 to 1996 ...

7 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Thais love to overcharge foreigners as we all know, especially in tourist zones - it's like a sport to them. I think they enjoy getting one over on the foreigner as much as they love the extra cash. Indians equally love to get a bargain and will spend hours haggling over relatively small amounts of money. Their style of negotiation isn't always to smile and joke either.

Indians know the value of their money & what they should get for it.... they won't stand for being over-charged for something they know is worth half the price... they will haggle all day to get the right price and if they don't they will walk away.

Thais have been lucky in the past with tourists who have just paid up because they're to lazy to haggle... Indians are a different breed!

7 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I see resentment quickly building up on both sides (Thais aren't huge fans of Indians to start with). I certainly don't believe this is a long term solution for the problems that Thai tourism has created for itself.

In Pattaya, it's been building up for years. Can't see it getting a lot worse. Thais hate Indians and Indians regard and treat Thais like something that sticks to the bottom of their shoes when they take the dog for a walk. That's rich coming from an Indian.

5 minutes ago, Knocker33 said:

Probably tourists are scared by the threat of being jumped upon by the immigration gestapo for a couple of days overstay

A strange logic there.  The majority of tourists obviously have no intention of overstay and are therefore not scared in the slightest.  

2 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

In Pattaya, it's been building up for years. Can't see it getting a lot worse. Thais hate Indians and Indians regard and treat Thais like something that sticks to the bottom of their shoes when they take the dog for a walk. That's rich coming from an Indian.

My very sensible Thai wife doesn't hate certain nationalities but rather finds their close proximity not to her liking.  This includes Indians and Arabs.  I wouldn't even book a flight with a stopover in India or the Middle East as it wouldn't sit well with her.  Can't say I blame her either.  

53 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

It is finished as a tourist destination until they address the real problems that are staring everyone in the face. Starting at the very top.

Have you considered the possibility that this may all be being done deliberately because the military government doesn't want tourism?

Come on man! Indians big spenders? The standard joke here in Pattaya is " five Indian men go to a bar and order one beer and five straws". It is quite common to see four Indian men (holding hands) approaching a Thai lady of the evening and try to persuade her to go with all four of them. I have a Thai lady friend who works as a hostess for a very high quality restaurant and does NOT go with men for money. She told me that 8 Indian men offered her 1000 baht each to go with ALL OF THEM! Indians are the last hope for Pattaya? Pattaya has NO HOPE!! At least the Indians don't smoke like the Chinese and Koreans....they can't afford it!!!! GET REAL!!!!!

3 hours ago, bangkokequity said:

I want to bang an Indian ... and argue about getting a decent tip ... said no Thai Girl E-V-E-R

They don't argue about getting a decent tip. They argue about getting the money that they had prviously agreed to. Indians are infamous for welching on the deal once the deed is done. This is the main reason that Thai girls hate Indians.

36 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

I love to discover and visit the middle of nowhere ;

I love to cycle long distances on red roads , not knowing where I'll arrive ;

I did so many journeys like that in all the provinces in the north of Thailand ;

As I did other beautiful journeys on my MTBike in Vietnam, always alone , during years  1990 to 1996 ...

May I ask, what made you choose to leave Vietnam for Thailand? (I suspect a long detailed answer would be interesting to all reading here, given present circumstances). Thanks.... Roadrunner looks forward to an interesting reply.

I am sat having a big kingfisher beer for 100 rupees in a bar on a goa beach,it's a bit more for everybody else (140) you will not get a small bottle in a thai bar for a lot more than that.92 rupees to the £.....work it out & goa has beautiful beaches,no thieves or muggers & people that hate us,ok ibdians aint very popular in other country's but at least they welcome you & bend over backwards to help you

8 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Not just Pattaya Phuket is the same

I’ve just returned from 10 nights in Ko Lanta at a hotel we’ve stayed at several times. For that time we were the only occupants in a 50 room hotel apart from a couple of Thai business men for 3 nights.very peaceful but quite spooky! To be fair it was quite deserted last November too and nothing wrong with the hotel. Can’t see how it makes money 

Archived