Tourism: Indians "last hope" for Pattaya as Thai media reports massive high season decline

webfact

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

They'd rather go to Spanish/Greek islands. Cheap flight, cheap food/drink available all day, reasonable law and order, clean beaches, fewer ripoffs etc.

Greek islands cheap?? Turkey maybe but not Greece. I've been to Zante 4 times recently, flights from the UK are extortionate for the distance travelled (prices even higher since the demise of Thomas Cook) Single person supplements on hotels, beers 3.5 euro, food 20 euro for an evening meal. £800 or higher for 2 weeks at a hotel.

Factoring in the higher flight cost but the lower hotel, food and beer prices I can do 2 weeks in Thailand for the same or less than a trip to Zante

1 hour ago, BoBoTheClown said:

Real tourists have no problems coming into Thailand.  Broke foreigners who try to live here on tourist and student visas are the ones not welcome.

Unfortunately for Thailand, the way they handle immigration problems appears to lack tact, compassion, or understanding...it is the perception of a threatening experience both entering and leaving that have many looking elsewhere...

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

Your problem is Indians aren't big spenders , they would much rather share and save and the baht is still to high for them to spend up just like most tourists . The only hope is that the economy crashes sooner rather than later and tourists can afford to come back but until then this is what to expect .

keith101 what a wish for the economy to crash so that things become more affordable for tourists.any way one angle to look at the problem.

7 hours ago, thequietman said:

It's actually a cultural thing. There are no suggested retail prices in India. Nothing is labeled, so it pays to talk with several vendors before making a significant purchase and so they do it here as a matter of routine. 

Frustrating for the vendor, yes, but it's quite normal for them. ????

It is an interesting cultural difference.

Yes, Thai vendors love to argue price, but if you finally reach agreement on price, the expectation is that you will buy.

In Indian culture, even after getting the best price from a vendor, and agreeing on a price, Indians often continue to shop around to get an even better price.

As for the economy, any blame must sit square with the PM who has been heading up the government's economic team for over 5 years now. 

The Xpat  community is leaving in their droves including me. Can't put up with the demands and regulation around extensions any more. Thailand is no longer cheap for x pats or tourists. The regime does not understand the economy nor politics. They have allowed the Baht to run away and now the exchange rate is punishing.

They thought they could do without the xpats and welcome the Chinese, things are changing. 

The Thai government is instigating the breaking up of families and relationships. I have a daughter of 11 here whom I love so much. The mother (separated from for 9 years) is a sociopath and will not support my family visa. So I had to go for retirement. Now having to transfer 800000 each year plus what you need to survive for six months ( another 400000) because of the new rules. Means I have to transfer 1.2MB. Over £32000. What kind of millionaires do they think are here? I came here to be with my child. I have spent 7 years here and have invested in a new car and a condo. Now they have to be sold. Do the Thai government realise that tourists pay little tax and the stayers pay the most? 

They do not give rights that should be unquestionable like the right of a family member to stay and work in the country so that they can support their family! Rights that the countries in Europe give freely to Thai's. This government is in fear and as a result deprives world citizens and their own citizens of their inalienable rights. Like the right of a child to know love and be supported by their parent.

10,000 baht per day of spending on average?

If this number is correct, then it should be paired with the information that some of the Indian tourists are wealthy people throwing lavish weddings where no expense is spared.

And maybe the rest of the tourists are these groups of single men haggling about everything. 

That would mean two things: 

1. It makes more sense to declare the median spending than the average
  2. These weddings must be plentiful and/or extremely expensive

22 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

I'm not too sure about that. I have been following the rooms available in Phuket for our Dec 20 - 29th dive trip to Phuket and am finding fewer and fewer hotels that have 2 rooms available (or any at all) as time goes by.

thats the busiest week of the year you are not supposed to find ANY rooms there by now!

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i know what i am going to say is a stereotypical comment about Indian people, but I saw it with my own eyes. I could not believe how they were grinding the massage ladies on price in Pattaya. I stood there and watched for a while outside a large shop. The one lady was holding her ground but it was brutal. 

My wife is the spa director/manager at a 5* on Samui. She despises the Indians, says they never stop trying to get a better deal (I'm being polite) and assume that any and all massages are 'happy ending'. She says they never tip.

26 minutes ago, maddox41 said:

and its time  to go  home this place has lost its charm its smile and its warmth its sad such amazing country collapsing on its own greed 

You say that because you do not know the hidden charms of Issan ????;

The most beautiful girls of Issan are never going to work in Pattaya, they stay in Issan in such small villages that it is almost impossible to find them  :tongue: 

I have lived for many years in this kind of village; it's heaven on earth ...:thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

The most beautiful girls of Issan are never going to work in Pattaya, they stay in Issan in such small villages that it is almost impossible to find them  :tongue: 

I have lived for many years in this kind of village; it's heaven on earth ...:thumbsup:

prefer to go trawling around udon thani night market than fly fishing in the villages if i'm honest ????

7 minutes ago, Lionrock2312 said:

On several of my recent trips, when I've been talking to fellow holiday makers - they've told me one thing that makes them think twice about returning is being in a bar and overhearing the moaning from bitter ex-pats

Obviously you don't know the bars in Thailand

with the loud music palying in, you can hardly hear

the person just in front of you, so it's just impossible to

hear what it's talking about at an other table next to your.

And usualy the holidays makers and the expats are rarely in the same bars.

The best I saw was 5 indians attempting to negotiate a package price on the 10baht, baht bus!

I passed 4 indians on Soi 11, standing in the middle of the street peeing with their equipment  in clear view. As I passed I pushed each one as hard as I could and uttered expletives interpreted as (go away and do it in your own country). Not so bad if they were up against a wall as many do here.

7 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Better value in Vietnam, tourists are voting with their feet, the greedy Thais made their own bed. They thought it would never end!????????????????????

My friends have all gone to Vietnam .They cannot afford the prices here in Thailand now...a drink even in Udon Thani is more expensive than most big places in the UK

8 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

And me so I agree with you and married one

6 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

You must be joking

in the village you have only the too old or too young for work

most of the 18\40 yo girls are at work in the big cities.

The only few staying in the village are already in couple with a Thai

and i know the life in these small village, everybody is spying the others, particularly if you are not Thai

and the main activity is gossip, so i can't imagine hidden serial romances for a sort of casanova farang 

2 hours ago, BoBoTheClown said:

Real tourists have no problems coming into Thailand.  Broke foreigners who try to live here on tourist and student visas are the ones not welcome.

With all due respect, was the German in question a long time stayer or was he a tourist?

Someone arrested outside his hotel (as per the OP) and on a 5 day overstay doesn't (in my view) fill the footprint of a notorious long stayer..................:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Now the last hope is seen as big spending Indian tourists whose daily expenditure is twice as much as the Chinese. 

Big spending?  Really??  Oh wait....they must be counting the 5+ Indian guys with one Thai girl, verses the one Chinese guy with one Thai girl....

The Thai gov't better hope George Soros doesn't do anther shorting of the Baht like he did in 1997.

Maybe the way that Thai's have treated tourists over the years, is now coming home to roost....

Archived