Five immigration officers swoop! German on five day overstay arrested outside Pattaya hotel

webfact

2 hours ago, Langkawee said:

Come on, the first thing they do is write down everything down from your passport and TM6 card, you need to try checking into a hotel and you'll know. I was on my 2nd to last day and the hotel told me the last day I could stay was tomorrow. Manager was kind, didn't want to snitch on me, however I was flying out the next day. 

That is your experience. Mine and the one of my receptionist friend in a hotel in BKK is different. For what it's worth: when staying over at hotels in non-tourist destinations, I only show my Thai driver´s license and not my passport. Only once they have asked me for a passport and when I said that I had to leave it as a guarantee with the car rental company, they accepted my driver´s license.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Docno said:

You're putting the arrest of an over-stayer on the same level as the Nazi Party's persecution of its political opponents and the Jews? Wow. 

@Docno, Indeed a bit far fetched. But if the sentiment is "they are going one group after another", he is right. Nevertheless, it is up to the Thai people and authorities to determine what kind of tourism they want to have here. 

Edited by No1

2 hours ago, No1 said:

That is your experience. Mine and the one of my receptionist friend in a hotel in BKK is different. For what it's worth: when staying over at hotels in non-tourist destinations, I only show my Thai driver´s license and not my passport. Only once they have asked me for a passport and when I said that I had to leave it as a guarantee with the car rental company, they accepted my driver´s license.

Try it now, think you're talking about the past, used to be like that, but yes it can still be possible, but much less so, even 6 years ago my friend couldn't even check into any hotel when he had misplaced his passport. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, No1 said:

Don't waste your time replying to champions who know nothing... I checkin weekly in different hotels with only a hospital card..

The other day somebody posted in this forum whether he will be arrested because he was on 7 days overstay in Chiang Mai.

He didn't believe that would become true as he went to an agent to extend one more month.

This proves you can be arrested even for 5 days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kulex said:

The easiest way to avoid any hazzle with them: Just stay from an unfriendly country. If the officers are already grim at immigration, the Tuk Tuk drivers constantly are cheating and the police urges normal people to report money-bringing tourists (yes, also the ones with overstay spend THEIR money from THEIR country in Thailand, don't forget that) - then stay out. Laos, Vietnam, even Cambodia and especially the Philippines welcome tourists kindly. 

I'm sure that with all the recent negative publicity, it will surely result in the desired effect.

21 hours ago, Docno said:

They have broken a reasonable law that they are very well of … the date is in their passport.

They came for a holiday, were enjoying themselves, lost track of time, and didn't feel or know ahead of time that arriving at immigration or the airport a few days late, in the easy going environment, to do the extension, or pay a fine, would be much of a big deal. And one morning, jackboots kicking at your hotel room door! 

Don't see that warning on the TAT adverts. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kulex said:

The easiest way to avoid any hazzle with them: Just stay from an unfriendly country. If the officers are already grim at immigration, the Tuk Tuk drivers constantly are cheating and the police urges normal people to report money-bringing tourists (yes, also the ones with overstay spend THEIR money from THEIR country in Thailand, don't forget that) - then stay out. Laos, Vietnam, even Cambodia and especially the Philippines welcome tourists kindly. 

And how they treat those who break the immigration laws?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They came for a holiday, were enjoying themselves, lost track of time, and didn't feel or know ahead of time that arriving at immigration or the airport a few days late, in the easy going environment, to do the extension, or pay a fine, would be much of a big deal. And one morning, jackboots kicking at your hotel room door! 

Don't see that warning on the TAT adverts. 

I guess they just forgot to bother.

18 hours ago, EricTh said:

The other day somebody posted in this forum whether he will be arrested because he was on 7 days overstay in Chiang Mai.

He didn't believe that would become true as he went to an agent to extend one more month.

This proves you can be arrested even for 5 days.

Overstaying on purpose, esp. as long as 7 days is plain stupid. But 3 or 5 days could be accidental.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Pattaya is dying and the news is a German bloke with five days overstay being hunted by not less than five of Thailand‘s finest (...)

No need to ask: "Where are the 'falang'..."

Answer: Yes, they are still travelling to Asia. Just not to Thailand in numbers they used to. 

Is it all about the exchange rate, or the U.S.-China trade war? - No, it's not primarily about that.

Is the Internet to blame? - Not primarily, but such news from Thailand don't encourage people to travel there. Also, Thai's general attitude is to blame.

But fear not, Thailand. "The Indians (reportedly) will save Thailand's tourism..."

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I think it's important to keep track of this this case progresses through the courts over the coming weeks.

I would like to know how long he will spend in custody for his 5 days of overstay before being sent back home.

A while in Pattaya, until he gets scheduled for transfer to IDC Bangkok, and a few weeks there, unless he "fast tracks it" with some tea.

• Like 1