Driving a car in Thailand after years of no car?

OneMoreFarang

I used to drive a lot back home many years ago.

Now I ride a (400cc) motorcycle in Bangkok but I don't drive a car.

I think about renting a car to make a trip to Prachin Buri for a day to bring lots of staff to my gf's home.

In your experience is that a reasonable idea? Or is driving in Thailand so crazy that it's a better idea to hire a car with driver for a day?

• Like 1

My personal take on that is that there is only one driver that I truly trust and that's me!

Driving IMO is, as the old saying goes, 'like riding a bike, once learned, never forgotten'. And modern cars, especially with auto shift (although I personally don't like it) are very easy to drive.

I had a 7 year break from driving when living in Egypt, but had no problem with hire cars when I first came here.

I'd go for it. ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In your experience is that a reasonable idea? Or is driving in Thailand so crazy that it's a better idea to hire a car with driver for a day?

Can you still drive, I don't agree with many people here and I don't find driving here crazy at all, if your do then let someone else drive.

• Thanks 1

Take a course in defensive driving first, although I don't know if there is such a thing in Thailand.

Assume everyone else on the roads here is trying to kill you.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

stuff! ???? 

ah, i thought maybe you were ill and bringing staph.... 

I was nervous the first time I drove in Thailand and it only lasted about a minute as I pulled out of the dealer... 

That said, in your situation, I would just get a driver... it is easier and you don't have to deal with nerves... have a good trip. 

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Of course have an automatic. Manual stick probably on the "wrong side" for you?

In theory you are right, it is on the wrong side.

But long time ago when I was not driving myself I was often driving with my boss. While he used his hand on his mobile phone and I changed the gears - in a M5. I got used to that. ???? 

13 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

How stupid does a bottle of Corona look?

Check you hair, I fed you a line but , swoosh!! it went over your head. 

The joke is I say: I am not as stupid as I look

You reply: No one can be as stupid as you look. :cheesy:

Do i have to do all the work around here?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Check you hair, I fed you a line but , swoosh!! it went over your head. 

The joke is I say: I am not as stupid as I look

You reply: No one can be as stupid as you look. :cheesy:

Do i have to do all the work around here?

What's the punch line?

Where's the facepalm emoji when you need one? ThaiVisa.com, the forum where facepalms are banned.

Edited by DannyCarlton

14 hours ago, MartinL said:

I passed my UK bike test at 18 and car test at 20. After that, I didn't own a car until after coming permanently to Thailand at 55 although a I rented cars twice in those years. I was a 'bike only' bloke riding most days, ice, wind, rain or shine. Still ride a bike in Thailand but not so much as before. Apart from the peculiarities of Thai driving habits, I think I fitted in quite well. Years of biking had left me with excellent observational skills, quick reflexes and reactions and a sort of 'sense' that something unexpected was going to happen although that ability was sorely tested by some of the stupid antics of the local drivers.

As others have said, go for it. The mechanics of driving the car might be a bit rusty but the most important survival skills you'll have learnt on a bike will pay dividends for you.

agreed  I learnt on bikes first on the Uk 1981 and this teaches you a  lot of observation especially of road conditions ie  manhole covers white  lines etc and the fact you are vulnerable. Driving a  car in comparison was a piece of  cake

Hardest thing I had to used to were the motor bikes swarming around on either side of the car. I only drive on my 90 day border bounce. It takes some extra care. I think when riding a  bike a person has better spacial awareness that will not be there when you drive a car. So my advice, be especially aware of the left side of the car, especially when making a left turn or changing lanes.

Be careful! Have a safe trip!! Good luck.

• Like 1

I managed without driving in Cambodia for 5 years before coming here. If you think Thai drivers are bad, go try Cambodia. When I came here I started driving again. I found it easy as driving is on the same side as the UK, and I am pretty rural in Kanchanaburi so no heavy traffic to consider. Easy to drive North to Chiang Mai etc.

However on my many earlier visits to Bangkok, it was an easy decision never to drive in that city. Too many very long, gridlocked, taxi rides.

I am not a fan of motor bikes, never driven one, but on one medical visit to Bangkok I had no option to get to a facility from my hotel in the time allowed so first (and last) time ever I took a motorbike taxi. This was the second most terrifying 30 minutes of my life and the first was the return trip. Never again.

So, to your question, I'd hire a driver but you obviously have an advantage of dealing with it on your bike. Good luck.

• Like 1

My FIRST drive in Thailand, my GF wanted me to drive to Prasat in Isaan from Bangkok.. Five of us on board, but her idea of leaving early at 1.30am proved to be a nightmare from hell..

Driving a friend's car, as he was unlicensed, and using Google maps for navigation made the routing quite easy, but never again at night time.. Too many hidden obstacles, unfamiliar roads, poor lighting on some roads, roadworks, combined with crazy drivers everywhere.. Arrived in Surin around 8am, half a day with her family and friends, then same day the gruelling return trip arriving back in Bangkok around midnight same day.. Never again, 900km in one day.. 

I've since done the route a couple of times since, but I've insisted on daytime driving and an overnight stay.. Easy as pie, but definitely avoid driving at night time.. Better the devil you see than the one that's hidden.. 

• Like 1