Household debt at record Bt340,000

snoop1130

32 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

But other factors are quite different. 

Advanced economies are productive and well managed and can recover rapidly. 

Thailand is a regressive economy with exceptionally unproductive workforce that is also not addressing structural issues such as education. 

Nothing alike really 

Rearrange these words.

Nail head on hit the.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Sorry , is that saying every household in Thailand on average is 340,000 baht in debt ?

Yep, so this isn't a mind boggling figure as they seem to include home mortgages. So it is less than a year and a half income for someone on 20000 a month. After I built my second home it was more like 2 to 3 years income.

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Household debt in Thailand has hit a record high of Bt340,000 per household

That amounts to about 10 months of gross salary for the average worker, perhaps several years of net income.  Many of those indebted have no plans to payoff the loans and many others are unable  due to everyday survival commitments.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yadon Toploy said:

My Thai friend has plastic to the tune of 600,000thb from different banks. They are maxed out and she earns 18,000thb a month. This is partly due to her negligence but also her nasty little sh*t Thai boyfriend and his lifestyle.

I earn 650,000thb per month and my credit card limit on the one credit card I have was set at 200,000thb. I have 30,000thb on it now.

Yep, the Thai economy is wobbling, and debt is at unsustainable levels.

All gonna end in tears. 97 anyone?

Thai banks are also responsible for extending too much credit and there is a credit bureau so these banks have the ability to check one’s situation before extending more credit. In the USA people with mountains of debt declare bankruptcy which often discharges credit card debt but that is not possible here; in fact if you have a good job the banks take you to court and often end up attaching your pay until the debt is cleared.

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

We just achieved debt free status this month !! It's taken a while here but at least the missus is set for life with properties and business. Now I need to buy a backup plan that I can own ????????

Buy a property in your home country that you can rent out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, djayz said:

What a load of rubbish. I see them daily lining up at street vendors (and I've noticed recently that the queues are getting longer) to buy dirty, cheap <deleted> food with the newest mobile phone(s) in their hands. They save on food, but are often dressed up to the nines and have all the newest phones, tablets, etc. (image).

Then, too lazy to pop out and get their lunch or dinner but happy to pay extra to have it - and drinks - delivered to the condo/office.

That's not yearning to be thriftier... that's just wasteful for somebody who's up to his/her neck in debt. 

If you can afford it, go for it lad, but, if you're in debt, cut it out and pay off the interest bearing loans asap. 

But it impresses others in the office. Especially if you can order it on the latest expensive phone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

Not long until there'll be blood on the streets. Get your investment money ready.

I have been hearing that old Blarney for 10 years.

You May wish for it, but it ain’t going to happen.

Insurrection does not come naturally to Thais....... unless funded by Tacky.

• Haha 1