Thai Tourism: "Half of foreigners" don't pay their hospital bills; director points finger at three nationalities

webfact

Airport tax for international flights out of Thailand is currently B700 per person, which is included in the price of the ticket, so no one even notices it's there. 

Bump that up to B800. No one will notice.

So B100 x 30 million tourists flying out (last year was officially 38.3m), and the govt gets B3 billion to cover hospital costs for tourists.

According to the TV story, "From October 2018 to September 2019 448 million in bills went unpaid."

B3 billion is seven times that shortfall, That'll easily sort out the problem, with enough to spare to fill a multitude of pockets. Win-win.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, joebrown said:

"Medical Doctors can decide to stop treatment (p.e. switch off breathing equipment) and for example continue just painkillers and palliative care."

A late friend (83yrs old) of mine suffered a serious heart attack shortly after being advised it was too late to perform any remedial heart surgery.

He was totally dependent on life support after 1 week. His Thai wife knew he would never recover, having been told this by a doctor, but the "preserve life' Buddhist card was dealt to his wife by the doctor. Between the doctor, the cash register and Lord Buddha they kept him alive for another 3 weeks at great personal cost to his widow.

sounds disgusting.
sorry to hear that, yet relieved that my relative was allowed to pass on after some 50 % of the brain (100 % of cognitive functions) stopped functioning.

3 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Can  w e have a  "superpoll" to  see how  many  Thais dont wear a  seat belt and end  up in hospital  costing the  state  billions?

A very good point...   

The somewhat xenophobic announcement made by a Phuket Hospital Director can easily be countered by a simple measure of common sense. 

That doesn't make it acceptable to 'skip out on a hospital bill' and that doesn't compare those who do to those who don't wear seatbelts, both are wrong - But it does highlight where, if the state is struggling for funds, the foreigner is not the place to be looking, dealing with far greater issues closer to home, their own back yard so to speak is where many issues can be resolved without making these clumsy and idiotic claims blaming everyone else. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A very good point...   

The somewhat xenophobic announcement made by a Phuket Hospital Director can easily be countered by a simple measure of common sense. 

That doesn't make it acceptable to 'skip out on a hospital bill' and that doesn't compare those who do to those who don't wear seatbelts, both are wrong - But it does highlight where, if the state is struggling for funds, the foreigner is not the place to be looking, dealing with far greater issues closer to home, their own back yard so to speak is where many issues can be resolved without making these clumsy and idiotic claims blaming everyone else. 

Then we have the Thais who "must see doctor" like the staff who work for me, theyr e good  workers  but jeeeeeeezus their kids get even a  sniffle and off they go to "hospital". The  girl got a tiny  cut  on her head the other week and off they went again. I  took one look at it and almost burst out larfin Ive  popped  bigger  zits  with more  blood.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

How about rather than just gainsaying, you come up with evidence to the contrary.

There is no evidence to support the post saying that compulsory medical insurance is being considered for Non-O visa holders and the Notebooks??  Therefore there is no evidence for the contrary. 

Do you know any different because if so, then please enlighten us all.

• Like 1

" what you know about Toksims Times when narcotic police which stay in my house and drink a beer. What yo know about  weapons in their cars when they made a raid ... what you know about Thailand and Thailand. You .....

when I see you posts that make me laugh. About stupid foreigners in Thailand.My my wife never laugh she is quiet.

On 12/2/2019 at 1:12 PM, Trolleen said:

No worry for that. Many people already do not care of insurance. Because there are niche better places to move and live. Do not worry. Thailand in 5 years time will change a policy but will be to late. 

By the way symptoms of tromb in leg.

1.pain

2. Swollen.

3. More red changes in colours. 

No need for operation. Unless in seldom cases in sorts high in near the cook.

I had had a CT scan carried out previously in my own country and another here in Thailand both of which confirmed that the artery had collapsed so restricting blood flow.
I had seen the results so had no doubts that the diagnosis was accurate.
In addition, I'd had a stent inserted into my other leg previously in Australia which fully alleviated the problem so I was fully aware that the stent was necessary.

He said the hospital had tried everything they could to get their money including contacting relatives living in Thailand and going to the embassies concerned. 

This had largely proved fruitless

Now you have had a taste of what it’s like for Farangs in Thailand trying to get retribution of monies owed to them by various Thai individuals or Thai intuitions on legitimate claims; only to be hit by the cultural code of silence, brick walls and the frustration of dead-end paths with the only option to give up and cut their financial losses and move on.  

Not a nice is it…………….!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

On 11/29/2019 at 5:43 PM, Thian said:

I can understand that...injections cost 10.000 baht which is also far overpriced.

I had this cycle done twice in about 24 years here, but altogether I didn't pay that much. Where did you go for the shots?

On 12/2/2019 at 9:37 AM, richard_smith237 said:

A very good point...   

How ridiculous. Facts, statistics, etc. are neither racist nor xenophobic. They simply reflect different attitudes within certain cultures. I have a newsflash for you: We are not all equal, and we are not all "the same". It's not like that within our own culture and ethnicity, and certainly even less so between all cultures, ethnic and racial groups.

Some people are more likely to be cheap skates than others. Some are more likely to feel themselves as racial superiors and/or that rules apply to everyone but them (i.e. Chinese immediately comes to mind, very racial supremacist and such)... But sure, it's all the xenophobic Thais and ofc the good ole "White devil"...

But let's just put the blinders on, and pretend that every statistics that points out negative traits and trends amongst certain people (esp. if it's about non Whites like Chinese, or worse yet: Blacks) is nothing but racist and xenophobic propaganda.

And no, let's not raise airport taxes or fees upon entry. I have insurance, so do others. Why should I have to pay for other people, who don't have it?!?! Simply force them to show proof of insurance prior to treatment, and if unconscious upon arrival at the hospital or non responsive etc., then simply confiscate their passport and ID, put them on a no fly list, until they can arrange payment post-treatment. Worst case scenario have their family at home pay, or have the embassy pay and they in turn can collect it from the person, or his relatives, in question.

OR: have people bring proof of insurance upon entry into the country, and check intermittently (i.e. just like they don't check if everyone has 300 euros or the baht equivalent in cash, they can do on and off random checks with people entering, and concentrate on the more obvious targets, such as people coming in on the super cheap airlines, obvious backpackers, etc.).

There are plenty of alternative solutions, that don't result in me (or any other tourist/permanent resident who leaves the country on and off) having to pay for somebody else. Again: If they are too cheap/poor/whatever for travel insurance, they don't need to be travelling in the first place. It is as simple as that. To me anyway.

On 11/29/2019 at 5:11 PM, hkt83100 said:

Don't forget that everybody preaching the country is paying a departure tax of 500 Baht (or had it gone up?), which is filling the koffers quite well. Years ago you had to pay extra at the airport, now it is included inn the price of the ticket. Where are these billions going to? ????

Certain military types are banking far more than their salaries ?

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the4 Hospital in Chom Thong seen a doctor was given the cream and tablets for my problem was shocked when they told me 140 baht total. In Australia $70 " 1400baht" then the pharmacy $40 "800 baht " total 2200 baht. Sorry I can't complain about the cost. of visiting the hospital.

On 12/18/2019 at 1:21 PM, Barry343 said:

I went to the4 Hospital in Chom Thong seen a doctor was given the cream and tablets for my problem was shocked when they told me 140 baht total. In Australia $70 " 1400baht" then the pharmacy $40 "800 baht " total 2200 baht. Sorry I can't complain about the cost. of visiting the hospital.

Hopefully you don't have to go to Banglamung Hospital for a dog bite, my mate was here from Brisbane  a few years ago and had Tetanus injections into his fingers,cost....Bht 10.000.00!

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 2:10 PM, webfact said:

Vachira Hospital, the largest in Phuket, treated 9,000 foreigners over the last year. Most of them were Russian, Chinese and French, said hospital director Dr Chalermpong Sukhonthaphon.

Therefor, citizens of every other country in the world that live in Thailand must have expensive, ineffectitve and poorly considered health insurance. When I return to Canada to visit my family I buy a travel insurance policy, how about asking the French, Russians and Chinese to do the same.

Amazing really. A country famed far and wide for the dishonesty of it's  people, with innumerable scams and swindles every year and declining tourist numbers as a possible consequence, now whines long and loud (and likely exaggerates the cost) because some foreigners cheat them.

My swindles OK, yours not, we 3rd wurld so we okay.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 2:24 PM, Isaanbiker said:

The majority were from neighboring countries like Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar. 

Majority of the foreign patients might be Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar but most of them qualify for free health coverage as migrant workers. Their employers need to pay into social security for hiring them in the first place.

Edited by sanmyintmaung

On 12/20/2019 at 1:16 PM, Jimbo53 said:

Hopefully you don't have to go to Banglamung Hospital for a dog bite, my mate was here from Brisbane  a few years ago and had Tetanus injections into his fingers,cost....Bht 10.000.00!

I have been to three 3 other hospitals for minor problems Amphoe, Hod and Ram in Chiang Mai all excellent Ram was the more expensive 1000 baht that included an x-ray.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Even if you have travel Insurance the T&Cs may require you to pay the bill and claim your entitlement back later. Also many accidents may arise from activities excluded from cover in the policy. If you attempt to enter Thailand without insurance better the Thai Gov should provide an option to buy a standard Health & Personal Accident Policy at the port of entry BEFORE immigration. No cover no entry. No mask no entry.