Thai gf not paid for work done

14 minutes ago, sidjameson said:

She did some graphic design work for a guy/new company.

She has digital evidence of communication that work was done, money owed and not paid.

A usual thing in the case of some Thai companies to award a contract and you go ahead with the work, sometimes you get money in stages, that's what happens to my son.

If he gets no order or contract to do the work he will not proceed.

• Like 1

Why did she wait for one year.? And how do you know job was completed not done halfway and not as requested? Not exactly uncommon for locals to walk away half way through the job because incapable of doing it right .

then of course the most obvious question , why did she release work without payment ? And why started without a deposit.?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CharlieH said:

She can file a police report/complaint but you should stay out of it.

Agree 100% that we should not get involved. Give her ideas and moral support, but nothing further.

The same thing happened to my GF when she was working as a security guard. I suggested filing a police complaint but the guy who'd hired her was a cop himself. Unless you could find a senior cop interested in weeding out his corrupt minions (and you're more likely to win the lottery), then the police report would have been pointless.

2 hours ago, BestB said:

Fairly safe to assume you have zero experience with any of it. 

Just the comment on ignoring libel laws is enough to ignore your entire post, but to put cherry on top you advising to harass family and co workers which is a criminal offence .

Exactly. Not harass to the point of being criminal. Just let them know a family member is stealing money, and shame him in front of his family. Believe me I have alot of experience with this. It works. Few things are more effective in Thailand than shaming someone, as they are mostly obsessed with continuing the practice of the incredibly weak act of saving face. The libel stuff is nonsense. Nobody in their right mind should be at all concerned about that. It is specifically designed to scare you into letting criminals get away with theft. Think about it. 

2 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

Do NOT go on social media or any websites in Thailand and say anything bad about the company or the man. Thailands Computer Crime Act is very strong and can be used against people who slander or say bad things about company even if they are true. Famous case google "British labour rights activist Andy Hall"  

I would never in a million years take your advice about this. These laws are specifically designed to help criminals to get away with stealing. Avoid following inane laws with all the power within your being, at all times, is my advice.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Do not get a lawyer involved, unless you know one who can draft a simple letter. A cowardly man might be scared of that. Otherwise you will end up spending too much on a lawyer, who will likely be ineffective. Remember, the court system here is notoriously poor and slow. 

Give him an ultimatum. You have seven days to pay the balance, or your reputation will be thrown into tatters. Then, if he does not handle it, take to social media. Slam him and his company as hard as you can. Twitter, facebook, and Instagram. Hurt him. Make him pay for his crime. Also, call him daily. Hassle him, his employees, and if possible bring this to the attention of his entire family. Shame him. DO NOT let this go. Make him pay.

It works. I have used this before, and it works. It gets their attention. Pay no attention whatsoever to libel law. It means nothing. It was written by and designed to protect cowards and scammers. Means nothing. 

Be careful of the Thai defamation laws, he might file police report and sue for damage 10 times more than you he owes you, and he might even win.

• Like 2

OP, the advises of filing a police report, or contacting a law firm are good. However, when using a lawyer you might spend some money if fees, which might not be refunded even if you win in a Thai court. And winning the case don't equal that there are money to pay you; you might spend more fees to a lawyer to chase some money, if any, after having won in the court; it's like (almost) everywhere else in the World.

Make a limit of how much you can afford to spend for potentially getting 75k baht, including the risk factor of 0 baht coming your way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ujayujay said:

Hire five Thai Bouncers to "talk" with him.....this works????

One should be enough. Think of the cost of "bouncers". And yes, it should work, as it's only 75K.

Edited by Vacuum

17 hours ago, sidjameson said:

She did some graphic design work for a guy/new company.

She has digital evidence of communication that work was done, money owed and not paid.

Now one year and always same excuses.

Is there anything she can do?

Why would she involve you with this?  It's a problem that the Thais can sort out themselves, better than any foreigner.  Surely she has friends, family who can advise her...if this is actually all true.  There is almost nothing a farang can do....unless you want to bail her out financially. 

3 hours ago, BestB said:

Why did she wait for one year.? And how do you know job was completed not done halfway and not as requested? Not exactly uncommon for locals to walk away half way through the job because incapable of doing it right .

then of course the most obvious question , why did she release work without payment ? And why started without a deposit.?

<deleted>? 

We had the occasion to hire a lawyer here before, it's no fun and has the potential to cost as much or more than your wife's losses. It can also lead to violence. Nobody likes to lose money, but considering the amount it's probably best to forget it and move on. In this country things like this have the ability to get out of control very quickly and in ways Westerners would never expect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

Be careful of the Thai defamation laws, he might file police report and sue for damage 10 times more than you he owes you, and he might even win.

My way of showing extreme disrespect to the court and for the silly and cowardly law, would be to not even show up to court. A judge presiding over a <snip> trial does not deserve any respect. Get a judgment and try to enforce it. Total defiance. 

If people not pay in thailand you can not do much.

You have to have a contract written contract then in two years you have to file it in court.

But the 75.000 thb is really not worth to go to court. It is too less since the lawyers cotst more and mess up a lot for you as well need to have a success fee percentage.

Do not use social media or websites to try to put pressure on the people regardsless how wrong they are.

Infrlamtion and the computer criminal acts make it worse for you.

Personally i have had a case agoanst a canadian who also has a law firm and did do translations, certified translation of the court documents. The xase it self was done well by them the certified translations where a total mess

The translation where so wrong even the translated names from the offical thai ID where wrong.

Ministery of Foreign affairs rejects the transltion even pointed out what was not correct and this laywer and his office refused to provide a correct certified translation.

So had to pay another 20000 for translating all document and have them legalized.

Even when the goverment say all is wrong they still go after you for inflamtion and with the digital  computer laws.

All transaltions are really worng, messed up and several professionas say the same. The translation of all documents it totally wrong and the laywer and his office have been requesteed several times to provide the correct translation.

You can not do much to get back your money or have the correct translation.

75.000 thb is just too less under the current thai system to make a successfull collection. Only bigger companies have the access to the debt collectors for reasonable prices due to the volume they have.

Next time do down payment of 40% then 40% when concept and then 20% at delivery. 

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I would never in a million years take your advice about this. These laws are specifically designed to help criminals to get away with stealing. Avoid following inane laws with all the power within your being, at all times, is my advice.

I agree that the defamation laws are a thieves charter but I would be extremely wary of ignoring them.

One may get away with it 90% of the time but one miscalculation ( with somebody of even minor influence ) could lead to a world of hurt.

• Like 2

Thailand Business 101, the down payment should always be 100% of your cost and effort.

Before starting any work, money in hand.

If not, don't take the job.

If they are honest, they will pay up front.

Personally, after a year later, I would let this go to lessons learned.

75,000 is not even worth it.

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I think you should give her the money.

OP, could you please post a photo of her and I might think about a solution. 

Are you sure that the story is true? I've heard more such stories before and wouldn't believe anything.

Why is she asking you to help?

Because you seem to have money and that's way easier to get money from somebody she doesn't even know.

No offense intended. 

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Isn't it obvious? She should talk to a lawyer.

It might take time but she should be able to get that money - if the company has any money.

Don't you think that waiting ONE year to tell that story to a foreigner doesn't make sense?

27 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

What excuse does he give?  That is required to plot the best course of action ... because there are ways to get paid.

Treating somebody with cops ( what Thais usually NOT do), or a lawyer often changes people's' minds in a nanosecond.

But I've heard so many stories of women who had even better excuses "to ask for money". And the way i see it, it's somehow one. 

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

Agree 100%. Especially family. 

Do they have office/shop? If close visit everyday. Never phone first. Take friend (farang can go to. More people is better). Sit down, be comfortable, stay long time. Take food. 

Question, question, question. 

Stay polite, never show anger. If go everyday, not same time, he will anxious feeling all the time. He get boring, will pay. Must be everyday, every two day. If only one time one week, is no pressure.

if that not success, then local Mafia. 50/50. Better than nothing. 

Lawyer waste time and money. Police can not trust.

Good luck. I hate this people. Scum. Make him pay.

Yinn, I love your "local Mafia" advice. Have you seen the godfather? If not, please watch it one day..

Does the guy have horses?

Tell him to do it Mafia.jpg