Please find this brilliant foreigner - he saved a Thai life!

rooster59

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

A THAI life, that makes all the difference

Oh, please be fair.

In the UK when there is a disaster any where in the world, the media often mention if any English people are involved or not.

It's kinda natural to do that IMHO.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dutchweller said:

I literally just finished dealing with a medical emergency on the BTS

middle aged lady standing beside me passed out and hit her head very hard.

She began having a fit.

I had to administer first aid and make sure she was safe until we could get medical attention..

Unfortunately everyone else just pulled out mobile and took photos and video..

No one would help me assist her.

I had to man handle her off the BTS at siam..

The medics said she was having a seizure from a stroke..she was not in a good way when I left her.

Sad sad state of society we live in..glad I'm leaving..

It is great what you did, respect for that. However I don't think that your story would have unfolded differently in any other urban areas in the world including where you are leaving to. Unless your destination is heaven.

I realize that a Good Samaritan is an old Greek myth*, but my wife has never heard this word before. ????

*A traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.

Screenshot_20191214-154722_Translate.jpg

It's natural for all people to help any victim anywhere.

A falang got knocked off his M/C the other day at the notorious Hellfire Crossing AKA Crash Corner where Soi Diana meets Soi Bhukaow in Pattaya.

Myself and a M/C taxi driver lifted his M/C out of the way while two other M/C taxi drivers helped him to his feet and helped him on to a chair while he recovered from the shock.

It was the natural thing to do in the situation and no one would have expected any thanks for doing what was the proper and decent thing.

He was elderly and a bit shaken up but apart from a few scratches did not seem to have been seriously injured. It reminded me never to hire, borrow or ride a motor bike in the LOS.

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

I’ve saved dozens of Thai lives. Mostly by not driving like another Thai.

It is a pathetic comment which has no place in a public forum. A man who jokes about another man's life is a man who doesn't even respect himself.  Open a different topic is you are so unhappy here in Thailand.

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:

He is better off being anonymous in today's Thailand.        

Hmm - Yea, to avoid her father in law's son i.e. her boyfriend to be jealous .... ????

Anyway, thumbs up for the foreigner ... :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, dutchweller said:

She began having a fit.

I had to administer first aid and make sure she was safe until we could get medical attention..

The medics said she was having a seizure from a stroke..she was not in a good way when I left her.

I’m soon behind you-worse by the week

2 hours ago, KKr said:

indeed well done, congratulations and thanks.

Meanwhile, I wonder how CPR seems to have changed.
On Television, I did not see anyone doing a ventilation.
When I did my CPR exam, we had a doll to blow up x-teen times, if we blew to strong it would burp as in "am going to throw up", ventilate a number of times, and start the heart pressure cycle again.

Anyone with current knowledge what currently the accepted practice is in the Americas, in Europe, in Australia ?

As it happens, I did a CPR course 3 weeks ago, at a NHS (UK) hospital Cardiology Dept.

This is the current training https://www.bhf.org.uk/how-you-can-help/how-to-save-a-life/how-to-do-cpr  There's a link to the training video in there too.

What they taught us was exactly as per the link

In Australia I always kept my senior first aid up to date. Then the St Johns Ambulance who ran the courses advised us to be aware that if things went wrong we were open to being sued. That kinda put quite a few folks off helping.

3 hours ago, KKr said:

indeed well done, congratulations and thanks.

Meanwhile, I wonder how CPR seems to have changed.
On Television, I did not see anyone doing a ventilation.
When I did my CPR exam, we had a doll to blow up x-teen times, if we blew to strong it would burp as in "am going to throw up", ventilate a number of times, and start the heart pressure cycle again.

Anyone with current knowledge what currently the accepted practice is in the Americas, in Europe, in Australia ?

I have done maybe 10 first aid courses in Australia over 50 years and now they tell me it is wrong. Apparently you do not ventilate anymore, just chest compressions.

But from all of the changes that i have been through over those 50 years they will change it again.

4 hours ago, dutchweller said:

She began having a fit.

Last year that happened to me but she was on a busy street in chaingmai

No one knew how to help. But they took alot of pictures l did first aid until medics came.

Slightly off topic, but when I lived in China I had five seizures. First happened at the language centre - they called the ambulance. Turns out I had encephalitis.

Second happened in Shanghai, oustide my apartment compound gates - came to staring at faces/cameras staring/videoing. One younger lady gave me a tissue and left. I walked myself home.

Third happened in a clinic, thankfully. They administered first aid and and ambulance got me to the hospital with a massive lump on my head. They did an MRI and sent me on my way.

Fourth happened on the street. Two burly Americans got me in a taxi and to the hospital and stayed with me until the gash on my head was stitched up. They then got me home in a taxi. They said they were US embassy staff (ie. military) - I believed them (for some reason I took a photo of them at the hospital, and they look military to me). They were Good Samaritans for sure. If they hadn't helped I might have lain there on the street for god know hows long, bleeding out.

Fifth happened in a pharmacy, and the pharmacy staff got the ambulance to take me away to the hospital which was literally 100m away.

TL;DR: Try not to have a seizure/stroke/medical emergency in China (or Asia really?), in the wrong place. The general public will ignore you. Oh, and seizures are not fun. You go down and bash whatever's in the way, until you make contact with terra firma, where you bash yourself yet again.

It happens often that foreigners do some first aid and Thais filming and posting.

The main problem is, Thais are very addicted to the phone, further they usually do not have

a proper first aid educations as it is required for the most people, if they are going for a driving licence.

So, nothing new.

Archived