Are you content living in the land of smiles ?

4MyEgo

12 hours ago, CharlieH said:

YES ! and my situation very much mirrors yours. I m not too concerned about the Health insurance aspect, wont really hit until the regs change officially or of course as age rises. However, if one decides to remain regardless, then there are always options available, may not be the best, may not be the most convenient, but there are always options (especially if married) its up to the individual to use them or walk away as a choice.

I have a lifestyle that I could not possibly achieve in the homeland, a quiet carefree existence, devoid of all those rules and regs and cameras in your face. I ike rural Thailand, its people, the whole way of life for me is just great. There are of course things that irritate,but thats true of life pretty much anywhere. Mostly thats down to personal attitude. (IMHO)

Ditto three times.

Especially "...a quiet carefree existence, devoid of the rules and regs and cameras in your face". Freedom relative to the UK brought me here 30 years ago and although things are changing, Thailand may be one of the last bastions of privacy on the planet, relatively speaking.

Immigration and health insurance requirements no bother whatever. I planned ahead.

• Thanks 2

Yeah. Easy going people, fresh air in Pratumnak, wide range of food, plenty to do, the warm weather is conducive to my keep fit regime, Thai bar girls and Go Go, late drinking venues, cheap transport  a myriad of brilliant cultural festival, safe streets and bar . My only downer is the shíťé music in bars and the constant flickering TV screens showing sports constantly, non stop..just drop dead boring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love it here and life is good,  my wife wants to stay here forever (Thai wife)  I just hope that I can stay long enough to die here,  the insurance thing is big to me,  I just can't afford to shell out on a policy that will cover virtually nothing. Just a wait and see game for now but I want to stay! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

The amazing thing is the number of people who never tire of responding. 

The whole point was for them to respond and I am surprised at how many "positive" expats out there responded, suffice to say it looks as if there was no can of worms in this post which was the aim, the hope of not opening a can of worms, perhaps the can with he worms all left ?

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

Can’t complain either. Living at center of sukhumvit is fun when you can afford anything you want. Lots of fun things to do plus I get to travel around Asia often as flights so cheap here. Bangkok may have gotten 25% more expensive than when I came here but.. It’s still epic value compared to cities like Paris, hongkong and so on. Plus it’s summer every day, feels like holidays and there’s so many islands and mountains nearby and party all the time. You only get bored if you choose to.

I’ve lived In south Thailand in a small city for a few months a few years ago but it’s a bit boring after awhile. Not many restaurant options. But it was fun to explore the provinces around it. 

Edited by Drax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I compare Thailand today to the nutty flavoursome Thailand of yore it falls short. When I compare it to the alternatives it seems to be the best deal. I have been to the touted alternatives and don't want to live there, not even Arequipa and Cuzco.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1