Are you content living in the land of smiles ?

4MyEgo

Just wanting to get an overall picture on expats currently living here and the ones that have returned back to their homelands, and the reasons for their returns, if not to personal, sure I might be opening a can of worms, but hey, were all in it.

As the topic asks, are you content living here, if so, tell us what it is that floats your boat here, and if your not 110% what is it that is making your boat sink, and what do you believe you can do to change to make you content here, please don't tell me your waiting on the government to change anything because we all know change from that department will not come unless it is to apply more unnecessary pressure on expats IMO, as if it's not bad enough for some with their currencies going south by more than 20% of late.

I have been living here for 4 years now, and am content living in rural Thailand practically away from the modern world, in a comfortable house that I could only dream of living in back in the old country, which is an hour to the big city or 20 minutes to the local town/s.

Immigration and their regulations don't really bother me, I think it's really a mind set thing, i.e. you either accepted the TM30 deparcle or you left, the TM30 now appears to be headed back to where it first raised its ugly head, back in the book it was written in, in 1970.

If the health insurance for the O/A visa spreads to other visas this will be a major issue for a lot of expats, including myself as I have decided to go back to self insuring after June 2020 as I noticed that my policy and my families policy will rise from 110,000 baht per annum to 172,000 baht per annum as both my wife's age and mine creep into the next age brackets, and when looking at the policies in detail, they are for emergency cover only with limited cover outside of surgery. I will therefore look at putting the money in the bank annually and add to the self insured funds annually, hoping that we don't have an emergency, otherwise I will have to dip into my reserves.

The burning season is another issue for me, apart from keeping those windows closed and putting on the air purifier, our kids go to school in the smoke and if you look at the IQAir AirVisual app it can be daunting at times, although pretty good at 53 at the moment, knowing it will red line come burning season so will have to look at going away during the school holidays for a couple of months to cleaner air somewhere in Thailand.

There are always solutions if we look hard enough, apart from that, I'm content, so what's your story.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall, despite a few frustrations, I am content living here.  As I tell friends and family when they ask, I am as happy and content in LOS as I would be anywhere else that I can think of and a lot happier than I would be living in the UK.  I can't expect much better than that. As to why that is, well looking out of my study window at my nice swimming pool, a cloudless blue sky and a nice warm temperature, all in December,  you have the answer. 

YES ! and my situation very much mirrors yours. I m not too concerned about the Health insurance aspect, wont really hit until the regs change officially or of course as age rises. However, if one decides to remain regardless, then there are always options available, may not be the best, may not be the most convenient, but there are always options (especially if married) its up to the individual to use them or walk away as a choice.

I have a lifestyle that I could not possibly achieve in the homeland, a quiet carefree existence, devoid of all those rules and regs and cameras in your face. I ike rural Thailand, its people, the whole way of life for me is just great. There are of course things that irritate,but thats true of life pretty much anywhere. Mostly thats down to personal attitude. (IMHO)

I am happy living in Bangkok now over 20 years.

I have a job, a nice gf, a comfortable apartment, good espresso, good and cheap local street and market food, good and not so cheap "farang food". From time to time I have a drink or two with the girls. That is now obviously a lot more expensive then 20 years ago. But there are still lots of nice girls out there who do a good job of giving an "old" man a good time.

I don't care about TM this and TM that because I have little to do about it. Once a year to immigration for an hour and that's it.

Is Thailand perfect? Obviously not.

Which place is perfect? I don't know any.

Most of all I think it's up to us if we want to see that glass half full or half empty.

Carpe diem!

I have lived in a couple of Asian countries over the years; Taiwan, Hong Kong and briefly Singapore and Cyprus and Malta in the Med area, Of all of those, I would only put Singapore above LOS in the nice living stakes and of course that place is very expensive and just a wee bit too 'sterile' for easy living. 

I am quite content and happy living here. My wife and I designed and had a nice home built. We have no debt and live an extremely easy life. I work here in Thailand for a US based company so its all upside. 

The Visa process is noise in the big picture. But like anywhere in the world, you make it what it is. 

Minor problems as with everywhere but mostly content with Thailand, fortunate enough to have the ability to self insure, don't much trust private insurance,

but I am concerned with all the smoke , I don't remember it being that bad in Khon Kaen.

I travel a lot and I am in and out of Thailand. Was it always like that? and was I just fortunate to miss it? or is ir a new phenomenon?  I have only noticed it the past couple of years or so.

I hope it is something new  because if it's new, it can stop the same way it started. Otherwise it's a deal breaker for me, We will still come to Thailand after the rains and when it clears up but I don't know about year round.

Retiree, living here as its my wife's home country and her desire. Ex-military I can live anywhere. 

If the Thai government kicks me out, or makes staying here unbearable, cost-prohibitive or just too much of a PIA we will repatriate back to the USA where I as a citizen and my wife as a foreign wife are welcome. 

Everything is a balance: when the cons outweigh pros - make a change.  

The air pollution and the smells and filth in the streets really getting to me. Both on my quiet Soi and main road. Inexcusable this is central BKK. Grease from vendors, spewage leaking from garbage bags and the trucks. Foul smells from fetid food waste dumped by vendors around MRT. Unhygienic.

The air pollution will never be taken care of and that alarms me. I mean it's REALLY here to stay. Like Delhi or China. Wealthy and VIP people live indoors, travel in fancy cars.

Stupid, selfish people on BTS MRT driving me insane.

The economy is obviously stagnating. Politics dicey.

Prices are higher and volume of goods lower. Imported products should be less expensive but not.

But I'm good, thanks for asking.

49 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

The air pollution and the smells and filth in the streets really getting to me. Both on my quiet Soi and main road. Inexcusable this is central BKK. Grease from vendors, spewage leaking from garbage bags and the trucks. Foul smells from fetid food waste dumped by vendors around MRT.

While I agree on the smells of BKK, have you ever been to NY, SF or Philadelphia? Same smells, filth and garbage. Each of our experiences and comments are completely based on where each of us lives. So it goes back to choices of location. Would I live in BKK, NY or SF....No and for the reasons you stated. 

While I do not know the demographics of the posters, It always appears to me that a large majority live in Pattaya, CM or BKK hence their dissatisfaction living here.

Love the food, culture and people as well as sightes and sounds.

Hate the summer weather, exchange rate, Songkran, bad weed and pollution.

So Ill keep coming back in the winter. At least for part of the winter depending on the exchange.

57 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

The air pollution and the smells and filth in the streets really getting to me. Both on my quiet Soi and main road. Inexcusable this is central BKK. Grease from vendors, spewage leaking from garbage bags and the trucks. Foul smells from fetid food waste dumped by vendors around MRT. Unhygienic.

The air pollution will never be taken care of and that alarms me. I mean it's REALLY here to stay. Like Delhi or China. Wealthy and VIP people live indoors, travel in fancy cars.

Stupid, selfish people on BTS MRT driving me insane.

The economy is obviously stagnating. Politics dicey.

Prices are higher and volume of goods lower. Imported products should be less expensive but not.

But I'm good, thanks for asking.

Get out of Bangkok if you can, There is a whole other country out there , If I did not have to fly in to BKK to get home, I would never see Bangkok again.  Khon Kaen is great. other than the smoke from burning lately, for the most part I have no problem. I live 15 min from central plaza and if you look out of my widow you would think you are in the deep country . Love it,

Health insurance?  I don't care,, I have enough in the bank to self insure, anything big and I am heading back to the States where I still own a home, and have family who would love to see me.

But if they make it that I need to purchase insurance in Thailand. I am gone!!  No way that I would pay for insurance that at my age would be very expensive and with my pre-existing conditions would never pay anything.  

The mentality of the Thais the lack of responsibility the true show of real human nature...........its  not pleasant.

Thats said I have little  day to day interaction with many people, its  not cold or wet unlike the UK. I can grow  many things quickly unlike the UK.

9 minutes ago, Chazar said:

The mentality of the Thais the lack of responsibility the true show of real human nature...........its  not pleasant.

Thats said I have little  day to day interaction with many people, its  not cold or wet unlike the UK. I can grow  many things quickly unlike the UK.

Must be nice to chose to stay in a country where it is so obvious that you do not like the people.

After 12 years not much has changed for me.. Happily married and enjoying life.

I have always lived in a village here in Khon Kaen. I have had it with the politics of both rude Thais and Falangs. 

Fortunately, we own land just outside the city that has about 20 building lots. 10 custom houses have been built and mine is the 11th. We hope to move in by the 1st of March.

As for insurance. My wife works for the Revenue Dept and I am covered by her plan. 

I agree, the pollution in Khon Kaen has become an issue. I do not have an issue with smoke as some do as I am not that close to growing areas. 

11 hours ago, JAFO said:

I am still enjoying my 15 year holiday....

Exactly it. I felt like that  every day I was living in LOS. Best holiday I ever had.

I only left as couldn't get pension there, and bad marriage took too much of my money. Not for that I'd still be there, even if subsisting, as subsisting in LOS better than living in the west with it's PC insanity. Western world has, IMO, gone completely barking.

9 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

For me the good times here are fading faster than Usain Bolt with diarrhea I would be gone in a flash if single ???? 

Sorry that you feel like that, but surely there is some way to improve your lot, but without knowing more impossible to suggest solution on here.

My life improved markedly when my wife and I moved far away from the family, and went downhill when they moved near us.

Archived