Thai prisons: 15,000 foreign convicts and 9,600 in for drugs

webfact

Thai prisons: 15,000 foreign convicts and 9,600 in for drugs

3pm.jpg

Thai caption: Finding money to treat foreign convicts

A deputy official has revealed that Thailand's prison population is 300,000 convicts. 

Out of these 15,000 are foreigners and 9,600 of these are in for drugs offences.

Most of these are from Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar. 

Out of the 300,000 population 1,170 died from illness in the last year.

Department of Corrections deputy Prawut Wongsinin told Komchadluek that big problems exist because foreigners in the prisons are often sick and don't come under the Thai social security scheme. 

They need to be treated to avoid infections being contracted by the general population and items like medication and surgeries do not come cheap.

The DoC is thus applying for 34 million baht to the Drug Prevention and Suppression Fund to treat the 9,600 inmates in prison for drugs. 

This represents 3,600 baht a person. 

Prawut said prior to this foreign embassies were contacted to help and patients were treated in government hospitals especially the Police Hospital. 

The number of foreigners in the system is now placing a strain on resources, notes Thaivisa. 

Source: Komchadluek

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-17

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

They would have a lot less dying if they provided remotely near the level of medical care they are obliged to provide under international treaties they have signed but ignore. Over the years I have had numerous people I have been visiting die from avoidable health issues, which were ignored until it was too late. In Pattaya prison, it takes two weeks to get to see the doctor and another two before any medicine arrives, by which time the person has either recovered or is probably dying.

Perhaps if they didnt break the law they wouldnt be tgere in the first place

• Confused 3
  • Sad 5

11 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

I don't think so

if a bail isn't proposed or if you can't pay it

you have to wait in jail until the judgement day

It's not specific to Thailand

in France a lot of people (40% of the inmates in 1997) are in jail during months 

(It was years before the european legislation) waiting their judgement day

Yes, that is called on remand and they hold you until your Court case

Although you are being held in a jail cell, it isnt regarded as a jail sentence

48 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, that is called on remand and they hold you until your Court case

Although you are being held in a jail cell, it isnt regarded as a jail sentence

And so whatever how is regarded ''technically'' on a practical level you end up in jail

waiting the day a court in his judgement can sort out if you are guilty or not

that's why i was writing ''i don't think so'' answering at your post

''Incorrect . You have to have been found guilty of a crime to end up in jail.''

''

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

And so whatever how is regarded ''technically'' on a practical level you end up in jail

waiting the day a court in his judgement can sort out if you are guilty or not

that's why i was writing ''i don't think so'' answering at your post

''Incorrect . You have to have been found guilty of a crime to end up in jail.''

''

Yes, but every Country you can go on remand to await your trial, if they think that you may not attend your trial 

Simple solution would be to send them back to their own countries to carry out their sentences. Oh wait there is money to be made off them. Plus many would arrive home and have their 10 year sentence for vaping sentence thrown out plus the same with miniscule amounts of drugs for personal use thrown out and there I'd the Duch couple now wow that would be interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

Simple solution would be to send them back to their own countries to carry out their sentences. Oh wait there is money to be made off them. Plus many would arrive home and have their 10 year sentence for vaping sentence thrown out plus the same with miniscule amounts of drugs for personal use thrown out and there I'd the Duch couple now wow that would be interesting. 

How many people have been jailed for 10 years for vaping ?

In which countries can you possess illegal  drugs and not get prosecuted ?